FinnoGaelfest (Parts I et Deux)

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

ussusimiel wrote:one with Frosty doing her patented 'I'm staring poetically into the distance shtick' :lol:
u.
Poetry of what ilk? 8O "My sword is long and shiny, Linden seems only a wee bit whiny"?

PS. It's sideways and one of the Oghams upside down. ;) There's a rotation function.
aliantha wrote: Although it's hard to believe that Frosty got out of the car to get so many pictures. ;)
Here in Barbarialand it's called walking and sometimes cycling. :P
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Love the Aran Isles pictures, Frosty! They have such good detail that my own vertiginousness (acrophobia) started to coalesce! Thanks also to ussusimiel for all the great photos of the Irish tour given Frostheart! Loved the buildings, the landscapes, the craftsmanship, the Viking ship--loved it all!!!
ussusimiel wrote: In Waterford there are some nice atmospheric shots of a ghostly Viking triangle (Frosty felt quite at home there) and one of a replica longboat (I'm sure I saw wry expression with a hint of nostalgia for the good old pillaging days.)
:biggrin: :wink:
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

More photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126958822@N08/15276813426/

These are also in reverse order of when we visited them. WE visited the Gaulstown Dolmen in the morning. It's an impressive sight and you get a sense of its scale from the one with us in them. Next we saw some holy wells in Kilrossanty. We came across these by accident as I was trying to find my way to Coumshingaun and Frosty saw the sign. (You all know what happened next! :lol:) The wells were strange as they had no water in them :? Oh well! Then we ended up at Mahon Falls. It tried to find the 'magic' spot where the car seems to roll uphill, but I couldn't locate it. Frosty thought I'd lost the plot. stopping and starting like that. Mahon Falls are in an impressive valley. It was raining and there was lots of mists which gave it a very authentic fantasy look and feel. Then there was a thistle! :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Glad everyone's liking the photos. :)

Ärrr perkele I look as if I'm plotting a particularly nefarious evil scheme of crepuscular darkness in that dolmen image. :( I blame whatever pollinated all through the fairy island; my eyes were itching and watering all the time.

Now I understand what was meant by that inexplicable "heh heh" a couple of posts agone. I will vouch that anything featuring flowers deals with a cunningly crafted digital mirage. For instance this is a medieval torture device found within one of the ruined castles and not something growing by Aillte an Mhothair.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

8O Can torture devices be pretty? Because those are very lovely torture devices. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

I surmise so, if you clean off the blood and anguish and drape them into lace and satin and sprinkle the ensemble with glitter...

Even as such, those blooming buggers are torturous for pollen allergics. :(
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh, the allergy thing. Yeah, I see your point. Flowers don't tend to bother me -- it's certain trees that I'm allergic to. (*sniff*honk*)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I miss having that island virtually on my doorstep. Spent some time on the west coast quite a few years back and really enjoyed just wandering around and taking it all in.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Softy wrote:
Ananda wrote:Were there many tongues in ears?
That was U's cousin (more like a peck). I'm not certain what's up with this fascination towards auditory organs anyhow. Even lurchy wants to spill joy into them. I'm beginning to suspect that the word "e-fest" contains an altogether different meaning hidden behind a TCTC term... O_o
The Watchveggie has adopted a very prim and chaste demeanor; must be the influence of all those monasteries. I could see Squishy-Squashy going blushy while talking about the sauna, something that one must try out if faring to Finland. The Cousin even witted we hit one another with birch twigs before scampering out of the heat to roll naked in the snow.
How rude! Did you explain that this is considered rude behaviour in the land of the True People? The longboats may need to go out a viking again. My man has been growing his beard to the perfect length for wiping his axe clean after taking the heads of the stranger people. Midvinterblot in 3 months...
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

Ananda wrote:The longboats may need to go out a viking again. My man has been growing his beard to the perfect length for wiping his axe clean after taking the heads of the stranger people. Midvinterblot in 3 months...
Of course, about the same man Ananda wrote:I have had a bad cough thingie... It got so bad that my husband had to prepare dinner one night. Of course, this meant he bought take out... He did brag so much about how good cooking he was when we first met, too. :lol:
Yep, sounds like I better cower. I'll have to get around to that... :P
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Icarus Unfallen wrote:
Ananda wrote:The longboats may need to go out a viking again. My man has been growing his beard to the perfect length for wiping his axe clean after taking the heads of the stranger people. Midvinterblot in 3 months...
Of course, about the same man Ananda wrote:I have had a bad cough thingie... It got so bad that my husband had to prepare dinner one night. Of course, this meant he bought take out... He did brag so much about how good cooking he was when we first met, too. :lol:
Yep, sounds like I better cower. I'll have to get around to that... :P
Did I mentioned that the take out was a bear and a moose that he wrestled down bare handed? :twisted:
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

When can we hold e-blót Ananda?
And where’s Squashy? Hiding behind four cows? :(
Ananda wrote:How rude! Did you explain that this is considered rude behaviour in the land of the True People? The longboats may need to go out a viking again. My man has been growing his beard to the perfect length for wiping his axe clean after taking the heads of the stranger people. Midvinterblot in 3 months...
Aye, but do they listen? The sauna is a holy place for us, not one to be dishonored with clothing.
Whaat by Perkele? I go viking myself to the lands of the cross-folk, and grow a beard into the bargain if I must. Argr. ‘Tis flaming orange akin to a burning monastery in a dawn of grue!

Anyhow, it turned out that the old gods ward parts of the isles anew so Ukko and Valfader made a truce with them, and thus we contented ourselves in drying out some of the cross-folk’s holy wells and ransacking monk-towers. Many an image prove the success of the raids. Kekri will be celebrated in a month’s time, and thus we raise these horns full of plundered mead to honor the Gods and forebears. Terve isonen, terve emonen! Terve Taatto taivoinen, terve Tietäjä iäinen, terve Turso partalainen, terve Tapio metsäläinen!
Ananda wrote:
Softy wrote:
What is this? Where does it read anything about "soft" on my Swordmain battlegear?

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

More photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/126958822 ... 215033839/

More of the Comeraghs and then of St. Declan's round tower in Ardmore.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

What are those thistles doing in Ireland??? :lol:

Were there any translations offered for the ogham stones?

EZ Board Survivor

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Pesky thistles manage to show up just about anywhere! I had to spend close to two days just digging them out of a mountain meadow where they's invaded. It's difficult to make gloves tough enough for handling those evil things.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cord Hurn wrote:Pesky thistles manage to show up just about anywhere! I had to spend close to two days just digging them out of a mountain meadow where they's invaded. It's difficult to make gloves tough enough for handling those evil things.
Now it makes more sense that they're Scotland's national flower. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Squashy must be beyond frustrated with my slowness (thanks for helping out with the photo-sorting), but some fest photos here. Have to find out why Flickr is changing the color vividness in spite of applying the correct profile.

These are from the last adventure. *sniff* I'm easily excited it seems; show me a puddle with some mussels within and I go berserk with the camera. :roll: Then we found the tidal cave. It was insane, with pink walls and a blood-red fungus or plant of some kin plastered across. A dragon or some sea-monster might be dwelling within during the night-time. I had no idea such critters preferred pastel hues, however.
The few last shots from the very back of that nature's cathedral are Squishy's; take a glance at the large-resolution files and you may just see a figure standing in the middle of the marvel.

Scroll down to the coastal shots and continue from there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107612254 ... 406604402/
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Bleh looks like I have to tweak the color profile settings in my camera's post-processing app (I shoot RAW with a compact device a tad more than just point and shoot). Interesting that Flickr recs users to upload in sRGB space, and then major web browsers cannot render it properly. :roll: See the difference in IE versus Firefox (right).

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Very cool! Good to get to see all the photos eventually... ;)

The colors in and around the cave remind me a bit of the desert colors on the way to Andelain.

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”