Tell Us What Books We Should Be Reading

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Also Tales of Nevèrÿon is quite wonderful. (As are some of the sequels.)
Often, at dawn in the mountains or in evenings on the desert, he wondered what terribly important aspects there were to his civilization in excess of a proper ability, at the proper time, to tell the proper tale. But for the civilization in which he lived, this dark giant, soldier, and adventurer, with desires we've not yet named and dreams we've hardly mentioned, who could speak equally of and to barbarian tavern maids and High Court ladies, flogged slaves lost in the cities and provincial nobles at ease on their country estates, he was a civilized man.
With only Nova under one's belt, I am not sure anyone is ready for Dhalgren.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

This is where I admit the only Delany I have read is his debut novel, The Jewels of Aptor, which was probably not representative of his later Grand Master status.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote: With only Nova under one's belt, I am not sure anyone is ready for Dhalgren.
Pffft. :D It was the first Delany book I ever read. The only one I read for years in fact. But it was a bit mind-bending. :D

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I didn't find Aptor to be very compelling. Nor The Fall of the Towers. Both are earlier works.

Delaney's later works tend to spiral into contemplations of sexuality, which I am not interested in pursuing.

So it's his middle works that are the gold. To bring this [more] back on topic ...

Five Samual R Delaney books Everyone Should Read:

- The Ballad of Beta 2
- Tales of Neveryon
- Nova
- Dhalgren
- Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand

Five more because you liked the first five:

- Babel 17
- The Einstein Intersection
- Empire Star
- Neveryona
- Driftglass
(short stories)
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

wayfriend wrote:I didn't find Aptor to be very compelling. Nor The Fall of the Towers. Both are earlier works.

Delaney's later works tend to spiral into contemplations of sexuality, which I am not interested in pursuing.

So it's his middle works that are the gold. To bring this [more] back on topic ...

Five Samual R Delaney books Everyone Should Read:

- The Ballad of Beta 2
- Tales of Neveryon
- Nova
- Dhalgren
- Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand

Five more because you liked the first five:

- Babel 17
- The Einstein Intersection
- Empire Star
- Neveryona
- Driftglass
(short stories)
Thanks for the list!! I wanted to read more but also would rather skirt the sexual weirdness.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I need a recommendation please! I recently received a $35 Dymocks book voucher for Farther's Day - and I want to read the best book you've read in a long time - give it to me! :D

Or the first of a suitable epic would be fine...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Have you read The Fifth Season by N K Jemisin yet? Apocalyptic world where extreme seismic activity means human society has adapted to survive frequent major climate events. Also there are people who can control earthquakes with their mind. Won the Hugo Award this year. It's the first book of a trilogy, second has just been published.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Thanks Murrin I'll give that one a go!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yesterday I finished reading Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Blades. It's a really great book that digs into issues of why people go to war, what it means to be a soldier, and the effect that combat has on people (without actually being a war novel). Highly recommend. It's the second book of the series (after City of Stairs, which is also worth reading), but can stand alone.
A generation ago, the city of Voortyashtan was the stronghold of the god of war and death, the birthplace of fearsome supernatural sentinels who killed and subjugated millions.

Now, the city's god is dead. The city itself lies in ruins. And to its new military occupiers, the once-powerful capital is a wasteland of sectarian violence and bloody uprisings.

So it makes perfect sense that General Turyin Mulaghesh- foul-mouthed hero of the battle of Bulikov, rumored war criminal, ally of an embattled Prime Minister-has been exiled there to count down the days until she can draw her pension and be forgotten.

At least, it makes the perfect cover story.

The truth is that the general has been pressed into service one last time, dispatched to investigate a discovery with the potential to change the world--or destroy it.

The trouble is that this old soldier isn't sure she's still got what it takes to be the hero.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm gonna plug my friend Chris James's new book, Repulse. If you like military alt-history, it's right up your alley. Plus it's currently #2 in the Hard Sci-Fi category on Amazon UK (surprising even the author!).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repulse-Europe ... 01IL7G6JM/

It's also available at Amazon US. Just change the "co.uk" in the link to ".com" and it'll get you there.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

For anyone that likes non fiction adventure books this is one of my favorites. Its hard to find

Three wheeling through Africa, Hardcover 1936
An account of a motorcycle trip made in 1927 through 1928 across Africa from Lagos, Nigeria. North to the southern edge of the Sahara then east through French West Africa, French Equatorial Africa, the Anglo Egyptian Sudan, and Eritrea to the Red Sea. This was the unquestionably the most under financed under planned under equipped successful expedition to explore Africa. Two crazy Americans drove dragged and carried with the help of camels at times two motorcycles and sidecars through the dense steamy jungles of southern Nigeria up to the savannah grasslands then east through the desert with its mountainous dunes of sand.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Sounds good. I wish it was available electronically.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Sidecars? Were they insane? :lol:

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Avatar wrote:Sidecars? Were they insane? :lol:

--A
Probably!!! They were exploring Africa back before so much of it was more easy to travel. It was crazy the things they went through to make that trek across the continent
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

SoulBiter wrote:For anyone that likes non fiction adventure books this is one of my favorites. Its hard to find...
I want to know how you first found it!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:For anyone that likes non fiction adventure books this is one of my favorites. Its hard to find...
I want to know how you first found it!
A friend of mine from High School now lives around Hartsford, Connecticut. He and I exchange books from time to time. He goes to yardsales and flea markets, etc etc and finds stuff to sale on Ebay. Long story short, he bought a number of boxes of 'stuff' for a flat rate and this book was in one of the boxes. After reading it, he sent it to me to read as well.

Post by Avatar »

Ah, the mystery book box... :D

--A
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Infernal Devices (1987) by K.W.Jeter - who actually coined the term Steampunk - should be a fun read.

Fiendish Schemes (2013) & Grim Expectations (2017), to follow.

Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oooh interesting .. do report your findings, fun tid bits etc
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I probably already mentioned this. Emerald Eyes After a veeeery long hiatus, the author is returning to the Continuing Time. There are four books already. I got it back when I was reading a lot of telepathy stuff. It's just amazing stuff, and the telepathy is not nearly all of it. Among my handful of favorite series.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”