Tell Us What Books We Should Be Reading

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

LOL, I clearly thought that because I didn't appreciate it before. :D But now I do.

Still no plans to join FB though. :D

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

FB is mainly stupid. But it has genealogy groups, so there I am.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

SoulBiter wrote:
peter wrote:Oh, gosh, I'm so glad you've picked up on this one and taken it up SoulBiter! Are you in for a treat! I'm happy in the knowledge of what you are going to find and wishing I could again read these books for the first time. Enjoy my friend - enjoy!

:)
Finally got through the books that were ahead of this. Starting the first book this week. Looking forward to it.
I have started the book. I thought I would be further along but I had the flu in late December and just didnt feel like reading. Then just as I was getting over that I got something else (Omicron maybe) and that took a few weeks to get over. I did read some of it and find the story to be intriguing. We are taking my Daughter and Grandkids back to Georgia (SIL finished his Chiropractic school) and will have a number of good hours to read during the drive down. (My wife and I alternate the 8 hour drive)

Thanks for the recommendation Peter!

Edit to add, I am now about halfway through book 2 and I can see why you liked these books so much. After I finish these I may go back and re-read them again.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Fist and Faith wrote:I probably already mentioned this. Emerald Eyes After a veeeery long hiatus, the author is returning to the Continuing Time. There are four books already. I got it back when I was reading a lot of telepathy stuff. It's just amazing stuff, and the telepathy is not nearly all of it. Among my handful of favorite series.
Bringing this up again. The Continuing Time is an excellent series, by Daniel Keys Moran. The first book is Emerald Eyes. I haven't always said as much about it as I would have liked to, because the author stopped. Even if I love a series, I don't like to recommend things when the author just stopped. But he put out a book of short stories several months ago, a new novel will be on Amazon this week, and another novel on the way. So, for what it's worth, this is one of my top recommendations. Amazing world building.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I finished the books (series) that Peter recommended. Shame it doesn't have an end yet but the series was good none the less.

So any good (finished) series that I should be reading?
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Post by Avatar »

The First Law - Joe Abercrombie

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Thanks! Just bought the first one and downloaded it to my Kindle.

Post by Avatar »

Lemme know how you like it. I find them quite different to any other fantasy...not what I was expecting at all. :D In fact, I'm planning a re-read of my own, having recommended them to Diamondraughtaholic on the discord.

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

SoulBiter wrote: So any good (finished) series that I should be reading?
Oh idk, have you heard of Patrick Rothfuss?

whistles innocently
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Kingkiller Chrons. Loved those!!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Avatar wrote: Lemme know how you like it. I find them quite different to any other fantasy...not what I was expecting at all. :D In fact, I'm planning a re-read of my own, having recommended them to Diamondraughtaholic on the discord.

--A
I got 2 pages in and realized I read this already. One of my favorites that I read last year!! Lucky they let me return it.

Post by Avatar »

LOL, oh well, at least you also thought they were good. :D

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Avatar wrote: LOL, oh well, at least you also thought they were good. :D

--A
Well since it caused me to find the books on my Kindle I have also started a re-read. :lol:

Post by Avatar »

Nice. They're just so good. Logan has to be up there with the best fantasy characters. :D

--A
dwkdnvr
Servant of the Land

Post by dwkdnvr »

Tamsyn Muir's "The Locked Tomb" series is the best new work I've come across in quite some time, although I have to caveat that only 3 of an eventual 4 books are out (book 4 next year). It won't connect with everyone, but IMHO it's a masterclass in POV - despite being 'one story' each book has a different POV character and different tone, and they're all wonderfully handled.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Interesting... I will look into these but I read so many series its hard for me to start a book in a series that isn't finished because I may forget to go back to it. Sometimes they never finish and that ends up being frustrating.

Post by Avatar »

dwkdnvr wrote: ...I have to caveat that only 3 of an eventual 4 books are out (book 4 next year)...
These days, that's a red flag. :D

--A
dwkdnvr
Servant of the Land

Post by dwkdnvr »

I certainly understand being gun-shy on unfinished series - I'm sure most of us have been scarred. in this case I think the chance of abandonment is low. It is however another case of 'adding a book' - originally intended to be a trilogy, but Act 1 of Book 3 expanded to the point that it was spun out as an additional book. Unlike GRRM though, spinning out an additional book doesn't seem to have halted progress on the follow-up - first draft is reportedly done and is in editing.

For me, the larger concern is that she's set a high bar and it remains to be seen how well she sticks the landing.

I'll also add that the Audiobooks are absolutely stellar - they may well get my vote as my favorite audio performance. Moira Quirk deftly navigates the 3 different POV characters and tonal shifts

Post by Avatar »

It's funny, when I was younger, I wouldn't worry about if a series was finished, or if I could fine all the books, or whatever. Sometimes I'd start a series with book 2 if I couldn't find book 1. :D These days, not so much. Will keep an eye out for them. :D

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

https://www.tor.com/2023/07/19/take-a-m ... e-fiction/

Apparently, we’re all supposed to be reading these. The only one I’ve ever heard of is the first one. First and Last Men, by Olaf Stapledon. A truly great book. Interesting for having almost no dialog. It traces the evolution of humanity into the really really far future.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”