Tell Us What Books We Should Be Reading

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

The nai-spouse and I enjoyed listening to audiobook versions of two novels by Naomi Novik:
Uprooted: TLDR - apprentice to a wizard finds out she is really a druid, with Russian fable-flavored.
Spinning Silver: another Russian fable-flavored story, where a moneylender ends up becoming a Lady of a Faery Court.

I enjoyed the former much more than the latter, but both held our interest during our interstate car trips.
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

DW, I don't remember seeing your name in a long time! Have you been absent, or have I been oblivious??
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

No, not oblivious. I'm back after a long, long absence.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well then welcome back!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

:biggrin: 8)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Space Opera by Catherynne M Valente was the best book to come out last year in the science fiction genre and should win all the awards.

Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruins of Ymr by John Crowley was the best book of 2017, but it didn't win awards because people are too busy being oblivious to wonderful literature about immortal, storytelling crows.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I bought Ka. Sadly, I won't get to it for a bit. Too much I must read first. But eventually.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. A post apocalyptic story where most of the population has been killed by a mutated flu virus. It's an odd book to read but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

LOL 🤔 not a completely surprising theme now 😉
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

SoulBiter wrote:The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. A post apocalyptic story where most of the population has been killed by a mutated flu virus. It's an odd book to read but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I read that for a book club around 6 years ago and loved it, but only earlier this year returned to him for The River. Turns out I liked it just as much. I'll need to read more of his work soon.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm just finishing the fourth book of the Sword of Shadows series by J V Jones and am blown away by it. Why is this author not up there along with George R Martin and J K Rowling. These four books have been the best fantasy reading I have engaged in for the last two decades. Each book pulls you along at pace and introduces you to more characters, plot, quest-lines, world-building - and all absolutely engaging to a point where the majority of other writers of the genre should hang their heads in shame. I cannot get how it has taken me so long to discover this author and why she is not a household name. I've picked up the four books on eBay for a song. Best dollars I've spent on books in decades.

But...........

There is a problem. The fifth book has for some reason not been released. There is some talk that Jones has suffered some major personal difficulties in her life that have thrown her writing career off the rails. Word has it that she is however back in the saddle and that the fifth novel is near completion. But true or otherwise, I urge you to read this series. This woman is a major, major fantasy talent. She is woefully under appreciated. Let's change that.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

OK see what you did? I had just downloaded a book to start reading but now I went and downloaded book 1 of your recommendation (cause I would forget otherwise). Wonder when the wife will notice I just hit our account for books twice in one day LOL
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Oh, gosh, I'm so glad you've picked up on this one and taken it up SoulBiter! Are you in for a treat! I'm happy in the knowledge of what you are going to find and wishing I could again read these books for the first time. Enjoy my friend - enjoy!

The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Fist and Faith wrote:I bought Ka. Sadly, I won't get to it for a bit. Too much I must read first. But eventually.
Read it. Now. Do not pass Go, do not get sucked into more Malazan. Sooooo good, so memorable, made me love crows like I haven't before.

Fun fact, the crows you often see in movies, with white breasts (looks like they're wearing a wife-beater/singlet) are African. We have many of them here, they are often seen cleaning up the leavings after kids eat lunch outside.

This year I've read the Inheritance Trilogy by A.K. Jemisin (awesome; tentacle-sex warning), re-read The Blasted Ones by Luke Wildman (not published yet), The Arawn Cycle (reread) & Cycle of Galand, by Edward Robertson, Slaughterhouse Five by KV, and The Parable of the Talents. I'm also reading history, biography, and historical fiction books, but those are the Sci fi-Fantasy I've been reading. I recommend all of them.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

There is another Malazan book coming out next month. Perhaps I could read Ka before then...

However, I defy anyone to read Malazan and not come away with at least a healthy respect for crows! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Meanwhile, I'm reading Memories of Ice and wishing I hadn't waited so long between Malazans. I might have to read Gardens of the Moon yet again to refresh my memory on where everyone died.

True, crows do figure significantly in Malazan!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

MoI is an under-appreciated instalment I've felt, at least, since I started appreciating it more. :D

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

peter wrote:Oh, gosh, I'm so glad you've picked up on this one and taken it up SoulBiter! Are you in for a treat! I'm happy in the knowledge of what you are going to find and wishing I could again read these books for the first time. Enjoy my friend - enjoy!

Finally got through the books that were ahead of this. Starting the first book this week. Looking forward to it.
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I can recommend Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth. Foul-mouthed female fighters and necromancers in space.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Good job, deer!!
Avatar wrote:MoI is an under-appreciated instalment I've felt, at least, since I started appreciating it more. :D
Not sure why you think it's underappreciated. It gets a huge amount of respect in the Malazan FB group. Every book is the favorite in the series of many people, and MoI gets more than it's share. Including me. Absolutely incredible book.

The Malazan FB group is a pretty awesome group, btw. People from every country. Many have read it in English and in their 1st language. Some still waiting for it to be translated into their 1st language. Some excellent artists posting their Malazan art. People posting crazy things that only Malazan people appreciate, like two scorpions dancing. People saying what made then cry, or throw the book across the room.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”