Anyone here a musician?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

For what it is worth:

Dein ist mein ganzes Herz

There is a rough translation of the text if you click the "show more" button.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Zarathustra wrote:Thanks, Tom! I enjoyed your songs. I assume you saw my notes.

I wouldn't have done anything else except play Rocksmith if I hadn't found a way to record. I've got about 5 other songs in various stages of progress. One is a lot heavier and reminds of Tool in parts. It's pretty badass. I can't wait to finish recording/editing it.
I encourage you to continue to record. I have your soundcloud account linked so I'll definitely listen to the new stuff when you post it.

I did see your comments on my songs. Thanks for listening. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

DoctorGamgee wrote:For what it is worth:

Dein ist mein ganzes Herz

There is a rough translation of the text if you click the "show more" button.

Dr.G
That's really amazing! You are like a next level serious singer. We're all hacks, Doc. :D

DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

aTOMiC wrote:That's really amazing! You are like a next level serious singer. We're all hacks, Doc. :D
Thanks, aTOMiC. They call me Doc because I have three pieces of paper that say, "Yup, he can sing...thanks for askin'." ;) LOL! But when I auditioned to my first graduate school, they told me that my voice was too small for the stage and I had zero performance potential. I was never a natural at it, and had to work like a dog to make even modest progress. 31 years of practice later, and I still want to be better. Such is life.

But I don't think you are a hack and am not an elitist. I play organ at my church (voice was my major, piano my minor), and when I was younger, I played flute and violin. Now I just sing and occasionally compose, and wish I were more adept than I am at instruments. My brother can play anything with frets, and used to be in an Irish Folk Band that toured Russia after the wall came down (Moscow, Leningrad, Krasnodar). I'm somewhat jealous of his ability.

Do y'all have selections to hear. I only posted because someone asked about them. I'd like to listen to new stuff too. I checked out the posts of Sarge and Rob. They are really cool.

Doc
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

DoctorGamgee wrote:
Do y'all have selections to hear. I only posted because someone asked about them. I'd like to listen to new stuff too. I checked out the posts of Sarge and Rob. They are really cool.

Doc
Doc, your story sounds as accomplished as your vocal talents. I'm guessing even when you thought you were struggling to find the voice you wanted to hear from yourself others enjoyed what you were doing. Its a common curse with musicians in general. We're our own worst critics and tend to remain so well past the point of having proven oneself.
Personally I think what you do is extremely impressive.

I dabble mostly in home recordings these days but was the leader of a band from around high school until 2009 or so. You will find a link below to one of the songs I recorded back in 2011 for a cd of instrumentals called Planetary. I was inspired by Gustav Holst's The Planets in that each song of mine represents my impression of each planet in our solar system. I've included the first song which was named not only after the minor planet Pluto but also the Original series Star Trek episode Plato's Stepchildren. :-)

Pluto's Stepchildren

DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Dude, I just bought your CD via Amazon.com.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, I have only heard Pluto's Stepchildren. The rest will be playing in the background while I grade some Music Theory classes.

Love it, BTW.

Doc
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

DoctorGamgee wrote:Dude, I just bought your CD via Amazon.com.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, I have only heard Pluto's Stepchildren. The rest will be playing in the background while I grade some Music Theory classes.

Love it, BTW.

Doc
Thanks Doc. That's very kind of you. I appreciate it. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I play bass, and sometimes guitar and lap steel.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I used to be the vocalist of a couple bands around high school and college, mainly with nice smooth vocals in the New Wave style. It was great fun and mostly played our originals. I wish I had kept with it, but I was stupid and let it fall to the wayside. My problem was that I couldn't remember lyrics well and always felt very embarrassed by that.
I have recently come up with a concept for a band that I really want to come to fruition which is Parent Punk. Back in the 80's, so many of the punk bands I saw were kids bitching about their parents, so I want to make it like an 80's punk but the parents bitching about their kids. Put on a kind of act that sometimes takes it too far, but also songs about 40-somethings that ring true, such as health concerns and the like. I'm learning bass at the moment and want to lay down some lyrics and general feel of a few songs before I start trying to recruit like-minded individuals. I imagine starting the show throwing a diaper into the audience as I run out on stage. Lots of great tricks and funny antics, and some of the songs just seem to write themselves. I just need to find time for a band. And I've always wanted to front a punk band.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cagliostro wrote:I used to be the vocalist of a couple bands around high school and college, mainly with nice smooth vocals in the New Wave style. It was great fun and mostly played our originals. I wish I had kept with it, but I was stupid and let it fall to the wayside. My problem was that I couldn't remember lyrics well and always felt very embarrassed by that.
I have recently come up with a concept for a band that I really want to come to fruition which is Parent Punk. Back in the 80's, so many of the punk bands I saw were kids bitching about their parents, so I want to make it like an 80's punk but the parents bitching about their kids. Put on a kind of act that sometimes takes it too far, but also songs about 40-somethings that ring true, such as health concerns and the like. I'm learning bass at the moment and want to lay down some lyrics and general feel of a few songs before I start trying to recruit like-minded individuals. I imagine starting the show throwing a diaper into the audience as I run out on stage. Lots of great tricks and funny antics, and some of the songs just seem to write themselves. I just need to find time for a band. And I've always wanted to front a punk band.

Okay first of all I can't remember lyrics either. I've mumbled my way through a few songs in the past during shows hoping that no one would notice however after hearing some of the recordings of those performances I discovered that even someone with a hearing aid and no interest whatsoever in the show would know I was screwing up. Very embarrassing for me but that's no reason to stop trying.

I started out playing New Wave and Punk songs back in the 80s so I think its really cool to hear you were in the same boat, Cags. Shame you quit. I hate hearing that.

I like the Parent Punk idea. Finding an audience may be a challenge but the idea is sound. I'd be tempted to do something similar if I had more
free time. My thing is I've always wanted to front a Cars tribute band however your idea sounds like it might be more fun.

Definitely do it and make recordings to share with us, Cags!

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Cagliostro wrote:...Back in the 80's, so many of the punk bands I saw were kids bitching about their parents, so I want to make it like an 80's punk but the parents bitching about their kids. Put on a kind of act that sometimes takes it too far, but also songs about 40-somethings that ring true, such as health concerns and the like. ...
Lyric ideas:

I refuse to get bifocals!!
Fuck the bifocals!!
Fuck the bifocals!!
I will put off that day,
Push the world away,
Keep you all at arm's length!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I finally uploaded the song I was working on last year. I still wish there were better transitions between the parts (esp. parts 3-4), and the end needs to be rerecorded, but I put the song away for a while during my divorce, haven't had the heart to work on it for a while. Anyway, it's about bipolar disease and how that robs you of your "birthright" to be a whole, sane person. It affected me deeply in my personal life (see above: divorce).

Birthright

All bass, no 6-string. Layers upon layers of BASS! Yeah. :biggrin:

[Previous disclaimers apply: demo quality, cheap equipment. I recommend headphones.]
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Well, (low quality or not), I like it. A solid blueprint for what sounds unfinished.

As is this -
the best I could come up with for the month of June:
(26bars @ 100bpm), with 59 seconds on the clock, not minutes <sigh>
26 tracks, unreal!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Thanks, Luke! Yes, it's a blueprint for a finished song. I need to work on those transitions.

I'm not sure what you've posted here. Can I hear it?

This is the updated version of One Life:

https://soundcloud.com/user-751226841/o ... -version-2

It is more polished, better drum sounds, and some bass solos added in. As with Birthright, the different parts need better transitions, and the end kind of falls apart. But I think it has great potential.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Zarathustra wrote:I'm not sure what you've posted here. Can I hear it?
It's a couple of screenshots from FL Studio software - the Playlist and Mixer work stations.
To be honest I don't really know how to make a song, short sound bites are usually all I produce. However, the track you see does have some potential.
It is still a bit sketchy and needs more rework so I'll try to upload as soon as ...

Thanks for posting your update. I wont listen to it yet, just to keep any influence at arms length.
ps. Was looking forward to making some progress on the FL music this weekend but unfortunately I'm too busy.
I say unfortunate just to illustrate how unsociable I can be. I've been invited to a Birthday Party this evening, meh...you know I just might enjoy myself!
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

I used to be a singer. played a little acoustic guitar.

my guitar is in the shop right now having the bridge taken off and reattached.

perhaps I will be a singer again one of these days now that I'm NO LONGER A SMOKER!! :D (8 wk no smoking anniversary tomorrow!)
:lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

I did play trumpet in my elementary school band.
However, that was sooooo long ago.
I have a keyboard that to this day, have not learned to play it.
Got it from my kids about 30 years ago...
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I have a baby grand that I love and mostly never play ... I but my son plays it when hes home and I love it when he does.

My kids all play guitar .. my oldest electric, acoustic, bass and the drums. My youngest the piano, my daughter guitar. They all just have an ear for music. I had the same ear but incurred a head injury in 97 and lost it all. I got the baby grand to help me but I dont have the ear anymore.

I sent two of my kids to piano lessons .. but the kids hated the instructor ... felt uncomfortable around him ... I did too tbh .. so pulled them out. He turned out to be quite a nasty predator and pedo. He was arrested a very few years later.

My son Alex sings as well and was in bands performed at Uni, weddings and such.

My baby sings too .. hes had formal training .. as opposed to Alex who just sings. When we all get together jamming fun is had. Totally love it.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Anyone use TC Electronics?
They make top notch guitar pedals, and with really great sounding names, like:
Thunderstorm Flanger, Dreamscape Modulator, 3rd Dimension Chorus, Dark Matter Distortion ...
and many more.

I've a Birthday this month so will probably go for the HyperGravity multi-band compressor.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

lucimay wrote:I used to be a singer. played a little acoustic guitar.

my guitar is in the shop right now having the bridge taken off and reattached.

perhaps I will be a singer again one of these days now that I'm NO LONGER A SMOKER!! :D (8 wk no smoking anniversary tomorrow!)
:lol:
Hows your no smoking going!? Best decision I ever made was giving up cigs. I smoked for about 20 years... wish I had never touched those things. Quit a bit over 20 years ago. At first I missed them. But now I think of them with disdain more than anything.

Oh and just to stay on topic. I play a mean radio!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Vespers”