Religious affiliation and political views - do they equate?

Archive From The 'Tank
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Religious affiliation and political views - do they equate?

Post by aliantha »

I thought this was an interesting comparison, albeit with not a lot of surprises.

thinkprogress.org/election/2014/08/29/3 ... -politics/

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

No, my Church does not dictate my politics. But it is a factor I consider when formulating a position.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

SerScot wrote:No, my Church does not dictate my politics. But it is a factor I consider when formulating a position.
Sooo... no but yes?

I think that you can generally tell someone's political position based on their religion...particularly on key issues. That's just the nature of religion, you don't attend Church to dictate its beliefs.

That's not to say that church dogma does not allow wiggle room or even that it would predict your political party. But, as an example, if I found out someone was a Catholic I could probably predict how they feel about the Hobby Lobby ruling.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Orlion wrote:But, as an example, if I found out someone was a Catholic I could probably predict how they feel about the Hobby Lobby ruling.
You might be surprised about that. In the survey, Catholics sit at very middle of the graph.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

The story linked is not friendly to viewing on my mobile device, but I think you have to break things down also by flavour of religion as well. Some christian priests perform gay marriage and others preach that the gays are wicked sinners who will burn in a hell as an example. But, it is hardly a surprise that affilliations go with political view. However, I would take a step back once more and say that people choose religion and politics based on personality. As the line in the song goes, 'I surround myself with things that look like me'.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

orlion - I am Catholic. so tell me how I feel about Hobby Lobby, gay marriage, gun control, abortion, etc. it will be a fun exercise.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Orlion,
Orlion wrote:
SerScot wrote:No, my Church does not dictate my politics. But it is a factor I consider when formulating a position.
Sooo... no but yes?

I think that you can generally tell someone's political position based on their religion...particularly on key issues. That's just the nature of religion, you don't attend Church to dictate its beliefs.

That's not to say that church dogma does not allow wiggle room or even that it would predict your political party. But, as an example, if I found out someone was a Catholic I could probably predict how they feel about the Hobby Lobby ruling.
I disagree with my Church on a number of political positions. The big one is Homosexual marriage. I think it should be legal. My church doesn't.

I'm Orthodox Christian. What's my position on the Hobby Lobby case?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Now you all are just being persnickety with Orlion.

He said "probably" with "predict."
And that is likely so...whether he can predict each of you individually or not, he'd probably make money gambling on thousands or millions of predictions.

Even you, Ali...maybe conflating? Cuz yea, Catholics are in the middle of that chart. And according to polls many...nearly all, IIRC...Catholics use and/or approve of contraceptives...or at least allow it should be legal and up to the individual.
But that doesn't mean they disagree with Hobby Lobby decision...which wasn't about whether people should have/use it, but about who/how it's paid for.

Anyway...there are relationships between religion and politics...but I don't think identity/equation between them.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Vraith wrote:
He said "probably" with "predict."
And that is likely so...whether he can predict each of you individually or not, he'd probably make money gambling on thousands or millions of predictions.
Agreed. General tendencies tend to hold true even if certain individual points fall outside the norm. Yes, generalization is a logical fallacy but it can create a reasonable starting position when trying to figure out what a particular group actually thinks even though it fails miserably when considering a single person.

For many people their religion and their politics are essentially inseparable given that they overlap on so many topics.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Coercri”