Under-rated Characters

A place to discuss the entirety of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Moderators: kevinswatch, aliantha

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Under-rated Characters

Post by DrPaul »

I really like Lord Amatin. She played a crucial part in the defence of Revelstone in TPTP, and to do so she rose above the constraints created by her lack of physical robustness and her utter devotion to a lore that proved flawed.

As much as we love characters like Mhoram and Foamfollower, I'm sure that we have all found a place in our hearts for a character like Amatin who wasn't one of the principals, yet who appealed to us in some way and played a crucial part, for good or ill, in the story. I'm also sure that there are lots of characters in the Chronicles who could fit that description, at least in the minds of some readers.

I await your responses!
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

For some reason, I always enjoyed Amok, Kevin Landwaster's eternal servant, who leads TC to find the Earthblood and uncover the 7th Ward, The Power of Command, that Elena used to summon Kevin and destroy the Law of Death. Amok, and similarly Vain and Findail too, were extremely fascinating and remarkable beings, and always kept my interest peeked. Linden's Staff still reminds me of Vain (and Findail) at times, and I appreciate that. But Amok was just awesome. Those were the days.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Amok was awesome indeed.

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I didn't think there were many...until I started actually thinking about it.
I'm not sure they qualify as under-rated or not...
But there are really quite a few with minor/supporting screen-time, yet significant impact.
I think I need to re-read, I'm starting to lose even basic memories now...
But:
The Lord on the raft in the swamp...
The Doom's Retreat Lord...
The Unfettered who broke her own leg and died for TC...
Three big little ones for me.
[[I'd count Vain as well-rated, not under...but definitely would include Amok as under. Because of the bit/story BEYOND his simple function/plot.]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Triock is under-rated. He suffers greatly because of Covenant's actions. He becomes a leader of Mithil Stonedown. Eventually he is possessed by a Raver, but still, with his dying breath, is concerned about someone that he loves.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

The first one I thought of was of the Unfettered who heals Covenant.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

My favorite under-rated character is Hyrim, son of Hoole. He went from being fat, happy, and care-free, a Revelstonian satyr, to hero in a crunch.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Hamako was always one of my favourites. His Waynhim-fuelled attack on the croyel was badass.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cambo wrote:Hamako was always one of my favourites. His Waynhim-fuelled attack on the croyel was badass.
Oh, that's a good one.
Triock, too, dlb.

WF: THAT's his name! That's the Swamp-Lord I meant. [unless memory is faulty again...but that sounds right.]

Oh...and the Claver that basically changed sides...was it Memla? Or was that her beast? [if neither, then who the heck was Memla?]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Vraith wrote:WF: THAT's his name! That's the Swamp-Lord I meant. [unless memory is faulty again...but that sounds right.]
No, he likes being called Swamp Lord. :)

Hyrim is the Swamp Lord.
Callindrill is the Doom's Retreat Lord.
Memla is the Turncoat Claver.
Din was her Coarser Mount.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

wayfriend wrote:
Vraith wrote:WF: THAT's his name! That's the Swamp-Lord I meant. [unless memory is faulty again...but that sounds right.]
No, he likes being called Swamp Lord. :)

Hyrim is the Swamp Lord.
Callindrill is the Doom's Retreat Lord.
Memla is the Turncoat Claver.
Din was her Coarser Mount.
Wasn't Doom's Retreat Verement? Although I liked them both...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

My bad! Verement Shetra-mate stayed in Doom's Retreat to fight Fleshharrower. Callindrill Faer-mate stayed with Mhoram through Doriendor Corishev to Garroting Deep. Later, he died defending Revelwood against Satansfist.
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

I also enjoyed that Insequent, the Theomach, who took Linden (and fake TC and fake Jerry, if I recall?) back in time to meet Berek Halfhand. I read that chapter as a thing to be cherished.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Sheriff Lytton was a great guy. Maybe SRD will do a short story about the Sheriff going to the club the next town over and meeting that singer who thought TC was Berek or Derrick or whatever and they go on a coked out, sex filled killing spree, starting with a trucker (maybe even the one who gave TC a ride).
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Ananda wrote:Sheriff Lytton was a great guy. Maybe SRD will do a short story about the Sheriff going to the club the next town over and meeting that singer who thought TC was Berek or Derrick or whatever and they go on a coked out, sex filled killing spree, starting with a trucker (maybe even the one who gave TC a ride).
Ha! Sounds like a premise for great fanfic that you should write. ;)
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

My biggest uner-rated charachter was probably Kasreyn. Man was he ever your proper archetyple [architypal, archetypal, archityple ?] villain, what with his gold eye thingee and his chubby-cheeked baby sucubus and all..... All nice one minute, then all apologetic while he organises for you to be killed in the most grusome way possible. Vincent Price would have been proud!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

The unfettered, Interpreter of Dreams, who lived up in the woods of Revelstone.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I loved that character...that's the first time we hear the song of the Unfettered IIRC.

--A
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Findail, definately an under-rated character. That is, if he were considered to be the only male amongst an all female Elohim race!
It then seems understandable, the desertion of Elemesnedene as an Appointed would cause him unbelievable misery.
Last edited by Lazy Luke on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Well, presumably he knew that it would fall to be his lot to be fused with a smiling black demon that he hated into a stick of wood and then left in a cave for ten thousand years - no wonder he was so unhappy most of the time!

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Entire Chronicles”