The dwindling crime rate

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

The dwindling crime rate

Post by Cail »

New study here....

Lots of interesting stuff to be found within the study, but the primary thing is - as we've discussed - that the US is safer now than it was 20 years ago (in respect to crime).

What's also interesting is that the US incarceration rate has increased by a factor of five since 1960, and the crime rate is higher (property crime), or about the same (violent crime).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Overly punitive drug laws from the 1980s + privatized prisons = a higher conviction rate despite a dropping crime rate.

All those police drama shows help fuel the paranoia. Every week it is a murder (and he would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling forensic analysts who were able to analyze in only one afternoon) or a child abduction or some other "ripped from the headlines" plot.

I was particularly fond of Dr. Day's quote:

Criminologists often get angry responses when we try to tell people the crime rate has gone down.
If people felt safe because the crime rate is going down, which is actually is, then police departments wouldn't be able to justify getting all those shiny new military hand-me-down toys, reading everyone's license plates in hopes of finding stolen cars or open warrants, being able to put people in de facto house arrest like they did at the Boston Marathon, or being able to no-knock houses based on one shady CI tip. The last 20 years have been good for law enforcement and it would be a shame to have to give up all that power.

They want people to be afraid and thus justify their continued existence.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I agree with you, Hashi. The spike in crime in the '90s was due to, uh, whatever the drug of choice was then -- the one between cocaine and crystal meth. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Was that crack then, or one of heroin's comeback tours?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The 90s was a lot of ecstasy, black tar (a cheaper form of heroin), crack, and cheese (black tar mixed with tylenol).
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

It was crack that I was thinking of. Hard to keep track, isn't it? :D

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:The 90s was a lot of ecstasy, black tar (a cheaper form of heroin), crack, and cheese (black tar mixed with tylenol).
I think cheese was mostly sold in Dallas and northern Texas.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I don't think drugs can be blamed or credited, except with a small portion of the rise and fall. There are obviously some local/regional effects from data I've seen. Some.
But illegal drug use hit its highest rates in 77 or 8 or 9. Started falling more than a decade before the violent crime.
And, AFAICT, the rates have been dropping among almost every group...those that use drugs, and those that never have.

Here's something, I mentioned it before somewhere, some of y'all will laugh at it probably...but if you follow all the trails, all the evidence, it becomes less laughable. And, AFAICT, it is better supported than any other explanation I've seen.

[[not that I think it is the sole factor. I don't believe this is a single source/cause/explanation issue.]]

EDITED to add: forgot:
www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01 ... k-gasoline
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Good news. Too little of that lately.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

That is good news--both violent and property crime rates are down.

Why aren't the President's supporters heaping praise upon their leader that this is happening under his watch?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:That is good news--both violent and property crime rates are down.

Why aren't the President's supporters heaping praise upon their leader that this is happening under his watch?
Because it doesn't help their narrative of a violent society which needs gun control and a militarized police force.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Wow, particularly during "tough economic times" this is great news!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

People have much more $$ today than in 1990. As a whole, American society is far richer with far more disposable income.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Yeah, yeah, correlation doesn't equal causation, but....

FBI REPORT CONFIRMS CRIME FELL WHILE GUN PURCHASES SOARED IN 2013
As gun sales soared in 2013--with the number of background checks for gun sales breaking records--the FBI reports that violent crime fell sharply below 2012 figures, and property crime rates fell sharply too.

On January 6, Breitbart News reported there were 21,093,273 background checks for firearm purchasers conducted in America in 2013. And while this number of background checks represented a record, we explained then that the number of guns sold could be many times higher. That is because background checks are done on gun purchasers, not on the number of guns being purchased.

For instance, if everyone who went through a background check then purchased three guns, the number of guns sold in the retail market alone would have been 63,279,819. That's not even counting the number sold privately.

And what happened as all these guns came into private hands? Violent crime and property crime fell.

According to an FBI report released on November 10: "violent crimes in 2013 decreased 4.4 percent when compared with 2012 figures, and the estimated number of property crimes decreased 4.1 percent [as well]."

These record gun sales and the subsequent reduction in crime square perfectly with a Congressional Research Service report covered by Breitbart News on December 4, 2013. That study showed that the number of privately owned firearms in America increased from 192 million in 1994 to 310 million in 2009. At the same time, "firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide" fell from 6.6 per 100,000 Americans in 1993 to 3.6 per 100,000 in 2000.

The bottom line: more guns equals less crime.

Return to “Coercri”