The Need to Re-read The Last Dark

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

DrPaul
Giantfriend

The Need to Re-read The Last Dark

Post by DrPaul »

Last night I finished re-reading The Last Dark. I had deliberately re-read it more slowly and carefully than I had read it initially, and I have to say I found it to be a quite satisfying experience and that I took things in that I had not noticed or not seen the significance of on my first reading.

I would be interested to know what others think after re-reading TLD. I would also recommend re-reading to those who have yet to do so.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I am glad you had that experience. I am re-reading it now, a bit at a time, for the purposes of the group discussion. (So I am not done yet.) And, yes, there is a lot one gains on the second pass. Several people have mentioned this.

And also, I have seen several comments on the phenomenon that Donaldson often goes down better if you read slow and deliberately, rather than in a rush. I find it to be so as well.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Alas I tend to find my reading speed pretty much sets itself, but no question, on the first read of a new TC book I tend to take it at a rush because of an avid enthusiasm to get the story under my belt. No doubt a second read would indeed be a more measured affair so yes, it needs to be done.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Last Dark”