One-viewpoint threads

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't have a problem with that. There are already threads throughout the Watch where just one person talks about something. But it's more likely that people with similar views will discuss those views. The point is that your willingness to deal with opposing views is not a prerequisite to posting in the Close. Most of us seem to enjoy a good debate, but that doesn't mean it's a requirement.

Anybody is free to start a debate thread about a 1 thread. Maybe the creator of the 1 thread will join in. It's fun, and it's good to hear opposing views. And they'll still have the 1 thread, where the original idea can be more deeply explored than it can be in a debate. I seriously doubt we'll find ourselves buried in 1 threads and debate threads about them.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ok. I am converted.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Good, Sarge. :)
Though "isn't that a blog?" sure made me laugh!

I think being allowed "1" threads is really honoring, actually.
Thank you Fist. Hopefully I won't dishonor your efforts. *deep breath*
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:Good, Sarge. :)
Though "isn't that a blog?" sure made me laugh!

deep breath*
'
'I am here to serve.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

Fist and Faith wrote:
sgt.null wrote:is there really a need for this?
It's not required. If you don't feel the need for such a thread, you don't have to start one.

However, if someone else wants to express or discuss their worldview, but doesn't want to debate it, they can.

I'm wracking my brain trying to understand why anyone would have a problem with this idea.
The fact that your brain will not allow to see the problem is the cause for your wracking. That, and not the other way around, is the proper order of things. Reality is diverse, not uniform. There may be fractal order in people as there is in large scale structures, but that does not mean forced local homogeneity is a natural thing. It is not, hence the problem for people whose concept of society is more natural and less constructed. I'd venture right versus left.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

So many intriguing propositions in that one statement Morning.

Each of which would make for interesting threads ;)

Reality is diverse, not uniform

Is there fractal order in the human brain? In the way we think?

Is there fractal order in chaotic events?

Fractal order does not mean forced local homogeneity.

Is fractal order a feature of nature ;) I think we know the answer to this one ;)

Is society a construct? What kind of construct is it?

Is society evolutionary natural. What is natural to society? Is society a natural construct?

Is society more natural .. noting that must be addressed first before being able to address whether it is more natural than less constructed?

Is there a political identification in the way individuals see society?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Fist wrote:Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:24 pm Post subject: One-viewpoint threads

I just made an offer to Dondarion, and I'll extend it to everyone. This is a public website and a public forum. You have to expect people to disagree with you many times in life, and you can't expect them to not express that disagreement. But I also think it's perfectly fine to not have to deal with that disagreement. X and Y might not have a problem with dealing with opposing views. They might even have fun debating it sometimes. But they might also like to simply discuss it among themselves, and see if others of like mind want to join in, without what they're discussing getting lost in a debate of the validity of their ideas. It should be ok to talk about how God's grace works in their lives, without somebody saying, "You know you're brainwashed, right?" Or even something much more polite. Laughing And A and B should be able to talk about how this or that phenomenon might have come about, without being told they're going to burn in Hell. Or something more polite.

And apologies to Z regarding this. You (IIRC) had begun a thread long, long ago. rus jumped in soon enough, and then (of course) I jumped in. You said something to the effect of this idea, but I didn't understand that's what you meant until it was too far gone.

SO! If anyone ever wants, start a thread with "1" in the beginning of the title. That will mean opposing views are not welcome. I'll delete opposing views. (If I don't notice them, just let me know.) People with opposing views are free to start a thread to debate the ideas. Maybe the person who started the 1 thread won't even have a problem with joining in. They still have a place to discuss what they want to discuss without the debate.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Mercy buckets.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The Close”