Hearthstone

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Hearthstone

Post by I'm Murrin »

Anyone else play this great card game from Blizzard? Pretty much like other games like Magic: The Gathering (which I've never played), but online and more accessible.

I started playing in the beta a little over a year ago, played for 6 months then mostly quit. Now they're bringing out their first full expansion and I'm playing again. I really enjoy this game, I like the strategy that goes into getting a deck together and playing it well.

Right now I'm playing Priest, a class who I never really got into before, but with the Naxxramas cards has become really fun. I'm making a lot of mistakes and could stand to get better at it, though.

Wouldn't mind adding some names to my friends list if any of you are playing.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I play once in a while. Never got really into it. I think I have two decks.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Game's now out on Android for those who want it on a tablet. I tried and it doesn't quite run well on my two year old one, but it's playable.

I'm playing the game a lot since GvG. Mostly Warlock right now, a fast deck.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

i.imgur.com/fWg8xkB.jpg
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Wow, grats.

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I managed to catch you playing a round the other day - priest vs. warrior. You won. I didn't even recognize most of the cards - way above my level. I don't think I even have the priest deck unlocked. I have a rogue deck that isn't based on any actual strat - built mainly out of abilities that I found annoying when they were used against me. (Taunt cards. All the taunt cards.)

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The dragon Priest deck's mostly built around cards from the last two sets - it was only TGT that gave it what it needed to work, with the 2 and 4 mana taunts.

I've not been doing all that well since I started streaming. My arena win rate plummeted and I've been yoyoing in ranked.

Hardly anyone seems to be playing Rogue these days. They supposedly have only one strong deck, and it got nothing new in the expansion, while everything else improved.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3b3hDv ... vPCOr_Uydg

James over at Extra Credits did an episode on power creep, using Hearthstone as an example.

He points out that power creep is not simply replacing smaller numbers with larger ones, as happened in the last expansion, if those smaller numbers were already so small that those cards never got used.

Instead, he points to new cards which are so overpowered for their cost that many of the older cards will never be chosen over it, and in fact they now need to introduce other new cards to match the new price/power curve.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Agree with the central point there regarding Piloted Shredder and similar cards - Dr. Boom, for example, the only good-on-its-own 7-drop outside Druid. But the bit about the number of 3/5s I don't think was quite right - 3/5 for 4 mana with an additional effect is a totally reasonable stat line even compared to pre-GvG. Honestly I'd say the whole TGT expansion avoided power creep pretty well - there weren't really many exciting cards in the set because they were mostly either a bit too weak for constructed, or very well balanced.

(There are a couple of cards that are power-creep level but only in particular decks. The dragon synergy cards are much better than their cost, and as cards get added the "holding a dragon" prerequisite will stop mattering.)

They do need to do something about Piloted Shredder and Dr. Boom, though. Only a small nerf, like making Shredder a 4/2 and Boombots explode for 1-3. (In Boom's case, they also need to up their game on 7 drops, because he really was the first good (non-situational) neutral 7 drop.)
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm Murrin wrote:

Hardly anyone seems to be playing Rogue these days. They supposedly have only one strong deck, and it got nothing new in the expansion, while everything else improved.
Figures I'd pick the worst one. The only other one I've spent any time with is the Mage deck, since that's what you start with. I like some of the cards, but Jaina gets on my nerves.

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Hearthstone more like RNGstone
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Sorus wrote:.... (Taunt cards. All the taunt cards.)
YAY! If I ever play, I can certainly use THAT card!

I don't know if I every thanked Murrin for all the prompts he gave me! THANKS! :biggrin:
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I've recently started playing, and then I got a freebie card pack that I have to enter the codey-thing into Battle.net, and it couldn't find me. I logged out of my account on my iPad and could not get it to recognize my account again. So I've started the hell over again, which sucks. This time, I at least got an email to my account saying to verify the email, which worked. Le sigh.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

New Hearthstone Adventure announced Friday, launching this Thursday! Some interesting cards in the set, but much like TGT they're balanced to the point of being a little underwhelming (GvG and Naxx got us so used to blatantly overpowered card releases).
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Before I had to start over, I had been doing really well, and seemed like I won the majority of my duels. Now I can't seem to win squat anymore. What happened to my luck?
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm still terrible at this, yet it's somewhat addictive. I keep saying 'Just one more game'. Can't seem to get past Rank 20 though, I get two stars, then I lose them. Also won't be playing right before bed again, as it recently led to a dream where I got into a fight with Jaina over whether she really knew how to play a mage.

Return to “PC & Console Games”