Hurtloam

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Jasprer
Servant of the Land

Hurtloam

Post by Jasprer »

Sorry another question. Didn't Thomas get dipped into hurt loam by the lurker with brynn? I think in the beginning of TLD or after he kilt Joan. If I read that right. If so why didn't it heal his leprosy like the first Chonicles?
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Because the presence of Kevin's Dirt slowly restored his leprosy.
Jasprer
Servant of the Land

Post by Jasprer »

Cord Hurn wrote:Because the presence of Kevin's Dirt slowly restored his leprosy.
How the hell were we to know that? Somethings just don't sit well with me with this chronicle. Things seemed too "forced" like putting a puzzle piece "kind of" in place but not quite fitting....it feels ok but leaves you with a sense of something more
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

In TLD part I chapter 5 was wrote:The arms of the lurker held firm, waiting but Branl grew restive. He, too, was in pain. The damage to his body he would doubtless survive. Certainly he would ignore it. The damage to his spirit was another matter.

"Ur-lord," he said at last. "Hurtloam awaits you. Will you not accept its benison? Alone, I cannot preserve your life. The lurker and the Feroce cannot. Kevin's Dirt will make corruption of your scalds until no recovery is possible.
"It was not for this that the ak-Haru healed your earlier hurts. That he saw worth in the lurker's preservation does not mean that he desired your death."

Covenant lifted his head, stared at the Humbled. With two words, Branl had shown him a way out of his confusion: Kevin's Dirt. Hurtloam would heal him as completely as his various maimings permitted. But it had never altered his essential nature. And some of its effects might be transient. His illness might thrive again under the bale of Kevin's Dirt.

Was that not the underlying purpose of Kastenessen's curse? To thwart the deepest needs of those who loved the Land? In Linden's case, to limit her access to Earthpower? In Covenant's, to deny his fitness to be loved in turn?

Save and damn.

Finally he faced the last of the Humbled. So that he would not be misunderstood, he told Branl, "Only if you join me."

Once before, he had required the Master to accept healing. Now Branl needed it as much as he did, if for different reasons.
We also know Kevin's Dirt worsens Covenant's leprosy because he had to stop (while they were on their way to defend the lurker) to explain to the Humbled that his worsening condition wasn't going to be fatal.
Jasprer
Servant of the Land

Post by Jasprer »

That's better. Man I missed that. There's a lot I'm missing in these last books.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Jasprer, many people have commented that if you read Donaldson as fast as your eagerness demands, you miss a lot. He writes for a slow reader. If you read slow, it won't disappoint. Not just because of what you don't miss, but the perception that there's a lot of dry, boring descriptions is gone.

Return to “The Last Dark”