Better Call Saul

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

They have six years to set up Breaking Bad, they can take it slow. I've been enjoying the extra focus on Kim Wexler this season, though I fear it just means he's going to do something that wrecks her career.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Is it really six years before Breaking Bad?
If so, they messed up kith Kaylie's age.

Somewhere along the way, Jimmy is going to have to cut his ties with Kim and Chuck. After watching the latest episode, it seems like Chuck is on his way out. Kim though, she reminds me of Skyler when she started accepting Walter's way of Life.

I think that the commercial being filmed, might end up being for Saul Goodman, rather than Jimmy Mcgill
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It was a great episode. Chuck's a bastard, and it felt good watching him come unhinged.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

There are some interesting parallels to be drawn between Mike and Jimmy, I think. They both do things that are wrong with good intentions, that are getting other people hurt. Although Jimmy (probably) hasn't gotten anyone killed yet.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Fantastic episode. These writers are the absolute masters of showing how good(-ish) people can become compromised in a myriad of tiny steps that lead to the Dark Side. They make it seem so natural, anyone could walk that path and not even know they're on it.

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised, since this is a Breaking Bad prequel. But damn is it an honor to witness such good writing.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Anyone watching Season 3? I'm up to episode 7 - there have been some really good episodes so far.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Love BCS! The fastest hour on television.I always feel so surprised when each episode ends I was so into it.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

This show is phenomenal, the best character-driven drama on TV. I don't think it's better than Breaking Bad, but I like how it's lighter, funnier, and slowly building its 'darkness.' It's the perfect prequel. I never would have imagined that Saul's story is this complex and interesting. Fantastic writing!

Of course, Mike's story is great, too. I like how we're finally seeing the connections to BB start to form.

The first reveal of "Saul Goodman" (in the episode before this last) was hilarious and unexpected. I had a feeling that it was coming soon, but the way he made his appearance still managed to surprise me. I was laughing out loud.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Loving the Ritchie Blackmore shout-outs. This is really great TV.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well, I've finished Season 3 now. I've read that it hasn't been officially renewed for another season as yet - I sincerely hope it does, because it's the most enjoyable tv I've watched in a long while. I'm still quietly dreading Kim's fate in the future...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Kim's going to die, I think. Badly too.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cail wrote:Kim's going to die, I think. Badly too.

Possibly the catalyst that will force Jimmy to finally become Saul, that and what happened to Chuck.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

A thought: Chuck is fairly wealthy, and Jimmy is the only living McGill. Though I could certainly see Chuck being petty enough to cut Jimmy out of his will - he'll probably leave everything to his ex-wife.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I'm Murrin wrote:A thought: Chuck is fairly wealthy, and Jimmy is the only living McGill. Though I could certainly see Chuck being petty enough to cut Jimmy out of his will - he'll probably leave everything to his ex-wife.
Jimmy may try to find some legal way of getting some or all of that inheritance.

On the other hand, even though its going to take much longer than he had hoped, Jimmy will still receive his cut of the Sandpiper settlement which is considerable.

Unless he does or has already done something to screw that up.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Maybe HHM or Davis & Main will somehow manage to get him thrown out of the settlement contract.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

aTOMiC wrote:
Cail wrote:Kim's going to die, I think. Badly too.

Possibly the catalyst that will force Jimmy to finally become Saul, that and what happened to Chuck.
I've thought this for a while, but after finally seeing the end of season 4, I think it will be sufficient for her to just fall out of love with him. The season finale has already set that up: Jimmy really is a shitty person. He's not just sneaky, he's shitty. There is no sincerity in him. He's a liar. A fraud.

The end of this season was heartbreaking, for me. I wanted so bad for him to be a good person, even though I know where his character goes, I root for him. I believe in him. And he lets us all down. It was particularly emotional for me because I have a brother who is a total loser. Alcoholic, jobless for over a decade, let our mother pay his child support for years from her meager social security check rather than getting a job. But she still believes he will change one day, even though he keeps getting worse. The slow-motion horror of seeing someone you love completely fall to the Dark Side is one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.

The writing in this series is absolutely the best of any TV show I've ever seen. The subtlety and power is off the charts. I can't wait to see what these guys do next.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

If you're not still watching this show, you're missing the best show on TV. They just had the 'mid-season finale,' leaving only a few episodes left in Jimmy's (I mean Saul's) descent into full blown criminal lawyer.

I was totally wrong about Kim falling out of love with him. She's definitely his partner in all this (a twist from last season when they married). But even if she dies, that's not really the catalyst. He's already on his way.

I just reread my post above. My alcoholic brother that I spoke of died last year. He finally got his disability approved (he wasn't disabled, just a loser), and I told him it would be the death of him to have money and nothing to do but drink. He was sober-ish, basically because he couldn't afford to drink. Then he got his government checks. Weeks later, he was dead. Thanks, disability!

Anyway, it has nothing to do with BCS, except seeing someone you love fall prey to their own weakness and dark side. Maybe that's why these stories are so good. They're real. And tragic.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I just finished the mid-season finale. Holy shit! I remember somewhere during season 3 or so saying to my wife that this is the best show on TV. Stylish, uncompromising, real. This is a phenomenal show.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

If anyone has finished BCS, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I finished it last week...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, I'm thinking about starting it, but that's not much help for you. ;)

--A

Return to “TV Shows”