mini DC fest?

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

mini DC fest?

Post by aliantha »

Anybody in or near DC up for a dinner meetup in May? dlbpharmd will be at a conference in Rockville and has a night free on Monday, May 11th.

I'll be annoying people on FB, too... :twisted:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Absolutely no promises, but I will look into whether I can engineer a reason to visit our IAD data centers right around then...

Please note that I won't discuss such on FB, since I use my RL identity there and it would be impolitic to mention such a brazenly unethical pretext for a expensed junket. Really, I do have productive reasons for going, as well as personal ones.
;)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*grumble*
Y'all who do go, have fun!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Sorry, Menolly....

SD, my lips are sealed. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

we've marked it on the calendar and look forward to it! :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Bit too far for me - it's an 8 hour drive from here
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Maybe...May...be....
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If Orlion can make it, michaelm, you have no excuse. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Time and place. DC isn't far, but it's a PITA to get to.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Since the evening that ali said that dlb had free in the area was Monday, 11 May, can you pencil in the date as a tentative until specifics of place and time become more settled?

If I pull this trip off, I will be based in the Herndon VA area, but pretty well motivated to make it wherever the event will be...both for those I've already met and those I have yet to meet.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:Time and place. DC isn't far, but it's a PITA to get to.
I'll be staying in Rockville, MD. Perhaps someone who knows the area could suggest an acceptable venue? Somewhere with good food, a good selection of beer, etc.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Rockville's not my turf -- that would be more on Cail's side of the metropolis. But I can ask around if it comes to that.

EZ Board Survivor

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Depends on everyone's taste and budget. There are literally hundreds of restaurants in the Rockville area. The 11th is a Monday, so the crowds shouldn't be too bad.

Give me some idea of what y'all have in mind and I'll see if I can find something that works for everyone.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Excellent! 8)

DLB's gonna have a per diem, I expect, so he can pick up the tab. Right? :twisted:

But seriously, folks: midrange maybe, price-wise? And not too loud, so we can hear each other...

EZ Board Survivor

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Sadly, I don't have a per diem on this trip. ;) I'm getting reimbursed for the flight, and the hotel is being comp'd.
But seriously, folks: midrange maybe, price-wise? And not too loud, so we can hear each other...
Sounds good to me.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Here's my suggestion. It's about 5 miles north of Rockville, but it's right off the highway (270) so it's easy to get in and out of. We haven't eaten there yet (it just opened), but it would appear to check all the boxes.

With it being new, we'd want to do one of their "private parties" maybe, or at least have reservations. Unless it's just Don and I (which is fine).

Take a look and let me know what y'all think.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Looks good to me! :mrgreen:

Reserving a room might require a credit card guarantee. I'd suggest seeing how many folks we have before we go that route.

EZ Board Survivor

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It appears that any group larger than 9 needs to go the "private party" route. We'll see what we need to do once we get a semi-decent headcount.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:Here's my suggestion. It's about 5 miles north of Rockville, but it's right off the highway (270) so it's easy to get in and out of. We haven't eaten there yet (it just opened), but it would appear to check all the boxes.

With it being new, we'd want to do one of their "private parties" maybe, or at least have reservations. Unless it's just Don and I (which is fine).

Take a look and let me know what y'all think.
Outstanding! Thanks!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Are we still on for the 11th?

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”