Hillary's Email Scandal

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Rawedge Rim wrote:to quote Mclaughlin "on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being an absolute certainty and 1 being almost non-existent" then I vote -10.
"Absolute metaphysical certainty."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Is anyone following the situation with Wikileaks/Assange right now? Last night was one of the most tense evenings I've experienced. I'm glad he is alive and well, and I think things are going to get heated for the Democrats very soon.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I see he got his internet privileges revoked by the embassy. :D

--A
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I wonder whom manged to pulls that one off?

I do believe Assange has enough friend(s) that the
"scoops" can be release from other sources.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Ur Dead wrote:I wonder whom manged to pulls that one off?

I do believe Assange has enough friend(s) that the
"scoops" can be release from other sources.
It was Ecuador, right after the Sachs speech.

As I understand it, wikileaks have uploaded the files with codes to verify their integrity and dates, with high level encryption (keys to later unlock). They were used to protect him if anyone tried anything.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

A few days ago, CNN tried to tell everyone that it was essentially illegal even to look at any Wikileaks-related e-mail dumps. Nice try, CNN, but you aren't fooling anyone.

The latest update via Democracy Now:

Meanwhile, Republicans are calling for State Department official Patrick Kennedy to resign after newly released FBI documents suggest he pressured the agency last year to downgrade the classification of emails found on Hillary Clinton's private server. According to the FBI documents, Kennedy offered to allow the FBI to place more agents in Iraq in exchange for declassifying the emails. The FBI and the State Department have denied that a quid pro quo ever existed.
We have no way of knowing whether any e-mails were downgraded; it would be prudent to err on the side of caution and conclude that some of them probably were downgraded in exchange for something else.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

In 2015, just before throwing her hat into the ring for the nomination, Hillary obtained a $12 million donation to the Clinton Foundation from the King of Morocco in exchange for her giving a speech in Marrakesh; she ultimately did not go but both Bill and Chelsea did. Nevertheless, this is simply more evidence that if she wins the White House various Middle Eastern countries will have direct access to the Oval Office as long as they cough up the dough.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Well it seems the FBI has re-opened the investigation

www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/2 ... email-inv/
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

SoulBiter beat me to it, but I have typed too much to backspace it all out now.

FBI Director James Comey just advised Congress today that his agency will reopen the investigation into Hillary Clinton's e-mail server in light of "recent developments" concerning "the existence of emails that appear pertinent to the investigation".

FBI Director James Comey told lawmakers Friday the bureau is a reopening the investigation into the Hillary Clinton personal email server, a surprise development with 11 days until the election.

After recommending this year that the Department of Justice not press charges against the Secretary of State, Comey said in the letter to eight congressional committee chairman that "recent developments" urged him to take another look.

"In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear pertinent to the investigation," Comey wrote the chairmen. "I am writing to inform you that the investigative team briefed me on this yesterday, and I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation."

Comey said that he was not sure how long the additional review would take and said the FBI "cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant."

Still the surprising news jolts a presidential race that had largely settled as Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump struggled in national and key battleground polls. Now, Clinton will be placed back on the defensive and forced to confront yet again questions about her trustworthiness.

Trump pounced on the news at the opening of his Friday afternoon rally in Manchester, New Hampshire.

"Hillary Clinton's corruption is on a scale we've never seen before," Trump said. "We must not let her take her criminal scheme into the oval office."

Trump's campaign manager Kellyanne Conway tweeted after the news broke, "A great day in our campaign just got even better."

House Speaker Paul Ryan said Friday that Clinton betrayed Americans' trust for handling "the nation's most important secrets."

"This decision, long overdue, is the result of her reckless use of a private email server, and her refusal to be forthcoming with federal investigators," Ryan said in a statement. "I renew my call for the Director of National Intelligence to suspend all classified briefings for Secretary Clinton until this matter is fully resolved."

The Department of Justice declined to comment Friday.
A very interesting change of mind for Director Comey, especially with the election less than two weeks away.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I wonder if Clinton had been indicted before now (which it appears may possibly still happen in the future) would she have been disqualified as a candidate? And if so would Bernie Sanders have been nominated by default?

Obviously that hasn't happened and certainly not in time to effect the coming election but I wonder if any presidential candidate has ever been elected to office when there was a probability that they would be charged with a crime afterwards.

I get the feeling in this case it wouldn't have any impact with the voters that support her. Criminal or not she would be their candidate and if victorious our president. At least until put behind bars.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Nope, Dems won't care. She can do no wrong ... actually, she can do LOTS wrong. Put national security at risk to hide her Clinton Foundation communications from Congressional oversight and FOIA requests, blatantly lie about it to the American people once discovered, fail to release Benghazi emails for years until the server was discovered (despite being under Congressional subpoena to turn them over), order her emails deleted after they were subpoenaed, and then proven to have been--without a doubt--lying to the American people about the Benghazi video from the beginning.

Doesn't matter to her voters.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I've already voted early, but I think the best of all worlds would be if she got elected and then went straight to jail. And then an all new election would start (although I'm sure it would just go to the Vice President, which doesn't thrill me either).

Edit: But honestly, I'd take either candidate getting elected, only to immediately go to jail. It just seems more likely in the scenario above.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Get used to saying, "President Kaine." She'll be impeached before she serves a year.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Yes, articles of impeachment may well pass the House...which is not to say that she'll be convicted in the Senate.

We've seen this movie, folks. I no more expect that any "raising Cain" will result in raising Kaine to POTUS than I expect Cail to start raising kale.

No, I'm not razing Cail. Just playing with words. Y'all seen me do that before, nu? ;)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I doubt anything will happen, but she should not be president. but she will get it, by tooth and claw.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Savor Dam wrote:Yes, articles of impeachment may well pass the House...which is not to say that she'll be convicted in the Senate.

We've seen this movie, folks. I no more expect that any "raising Cain" will result in raising Kaine to POTUS than I expect Cail to start raising kale.

No, I'm not razing Cail. Just playing with words. Y'all seen me do that before, nu? ;)
I'm a big fan of kale, and am being actively wooed by Veganism.....But that's another story.

A lot's going to depend on how bad this next round of emails is, and what the FBI does over the next 10 days. The chances of a quick indictment are nearly nil, so the election is still going to happen. Millions of votes have already been cast thanks to early and absentee voting, so the impact on the election has been blunted.

But there's going to be a bloodbath after the election. Look for a house-cleaning at the FBI, and a purge of Clinton's staff. Rumor has it that the supposedly destroyed laptops weren't destroyed, and if there's damning information on them then Clinton will go as well.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Cail wrote:Get used to saying, "President Kaine."
That might not be bad, assuming that Kaine can be brought back within Catholic Social Justice teaching. I won't hold my breath, since the Democrat power structure would likely have a conniption if his stance on abortion and same-sex marriage were to waffle. But who knows? The times they are a-changin'.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Cail wrote:Get used to saying, "President Kaine."
That might not be bad, assuming that Kaine can be brought back within Catholic Social Justice teaching. I won't hold my breath, since the Democrat power structure would likely have a conniption if his stance on abortion and same-sex marriage were to waffle. But who knows? The times they are a-changin'.
Christ, I hope not. Last thing I want is a president who uses his faith to make policy.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I don't mind that the FBI has found more to investigate regarding the emails, but I'm aggravated that it's happening right now. As someone who'll almost certainly vote Clinton over Trump and really really really doesn't want Trump to win, I'd rather have seen Clinton massively hemorrhage support for this a couple months back and never recover and have Trump win by a landslide than see it happen now, when we have less time for clearer statements to materialize pre-election and are more likely to see people unwilling to face facts that either support or undermine their view on the email scandal. I really don't like post election atmospheres where voters feel acutely cheated by the results of the election. That was likely to happen anyway, but I think having a blow up right before the election will make voters even more irate - if the most recent link between the server emails to Weiner makes Clinton look terrible, but she wins, her detractors will hate her worse than ever, because they'll say that government investigators tried to hold off information as long as possible, and if the newest info looks fairly benign in comparison to what's come before, or more than the same, and she loses, supporters will feel like the most recent events were orchestrated to make her look better than she really did. It's a pretty dumb thing to worry about compared to actual issues.

I can just imagine voting right after work (where I really can't check email or news) in the evening only to find out there was some new disastrous issue immediately after I cast my vote.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I doubt the FBI planned things to happen this way. They investigated the e-mail server, finally concluded that they would not be able to bring charges, and closed the case. They did not think that missing e-mail messages would show up on a laptop related to the Anthony Weiner investigation, which is a separate case altogether. Based on the evidence, though, they had to reopen the Clinton e-mail server case according to their own protocols just like they would for any other case, regardless of its timing.

So much for Huma Abedin being Hillary's other daughter--that relationship is about to end. I suspect Abedin was forwarding messages to herself as an insurance policy in case her relationship with Hillary degenerated. Ironically, the insurance policy will be what ends the relationship.

edit to add: I just saw a news blurb about this so I decided to check a reliable source for authenticity. Here is 18 U.S.C. Section 2071 : US Code - Section 2071: Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally via FindLaw.
(a) Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes,
mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with
intent to do so takes and carries away any record, proceeding, map,
book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any
clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any
public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United
States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
three years, or both.
(b) Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding,
map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and
unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or
destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned