Scions: Rules and Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*sigh*

Illume wishes this story to be told. I hope the tale justifies the risk I may be taking.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Having a hard time thinking up anything for the contest. Tricky since our characters aren't able to appear in the world bodily.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm also stumped. But it's been a busy week and weekend.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

Oh right. The contest. Head's been in a bunch of other places.

But, I just had an idea; now all I need to do is write it down, with all of the details and polish. That's the easy part, right?
Nothing rhymes with orange!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Tough choice, but I declare Terret the winner. I believe his entry is closer to the rules. While Moira's circumstances or her planned course of action were not very pleasant, the encounter seemed to be a positive one for her.

Unfortunately, Terret's reward seems to be... one actually dead follower. ;) (OK, there might be something I can make into a minor asset in the forthcoming results).

I was hoping to see a story similar to Arachne, Baucis and Philemon (rules didn't say you couldn't level a whole city, just that nobody would know it was you), or pretty much anything from Ovid's Metamorphoses. Guess I erred to far on the side of caution hoping not to influence the results too much. But there will be other opportunities.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:thumbsup:

I totally agree with that ruling. The circumstances were definitely something I wouldn't ever wish on anyone, particularly in a more primitive setting, but the encounter itself was not unpleasant.

Still, Illume is pleased the tale was told, and hopes others may be enlightened in their tolerance of those different from themselves in the telling of it.
Terret
Servant of the Land

Post by Terret »

[Syl] wrote:Unfortunately, Terret's reward seems to be... one actually dead follower. ;)
That's ok. Luck goes both ways, the good and the bad. And everybody saw that it was real.

(I wasn't even going to participate, but I had an idea at the 11th hour (almost literally) (which in the end the story didn't use) and an hour to spare, and that's how it turned out. :D
Toss The Dice
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Results are sent. Board will be updated soon.

Don't forget, you're entitled to one question per turn.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Huzzah!

Now to figure out where to go from here.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

8)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Very nice narrative you wrote for my results.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. Not much going on right now ( keeping the bad rolls at bay until the start of turn 4), so I thought I'd add some flair. Well, that and my whole using this to practice creative writing thing.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm glad to have help with a character name, and a direction for said character's personality. Believe me, I jumped on it. 8)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Two days.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Caam reminded me to give the warning a few days ago. Heh
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm missing submissions from two players. One, whose submission may have been lost again, and another player of whom I have no knowledge why they haven't submitted.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Did you contact them privately, or shall we say when we sent ours in, in case we're the unknown missing player?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I really thought I was going to get results out this weekend. Sadly, I have no good excuse. I spent too much time playing Witcher 3 (this game is looooong).

So, I will propose another contest.
Fortunate Son

Tell the story of how one mortal—who, for the record, will never appear directly in game—came to have your favor and what that favor actually means. Ideally, this mortal will display some characteristic that merits your gift—before or after—and do something memorable with it to justify the story of it being told across Pahlia.

The reward shall be having your prophet bestowed with that same blessing. There is no set number on the number of entrants who are rewarded.
To be clear, this is less of a competition than a contest. The only criteria for winning are that I like the story and that winning doesn't bork the game. I have no problem with you ripping the story whole cloth from mythology or any other source so long as you tailor it to Scions.

I do reserve the right to ratchet down the ability to fit the game but will try to do so only if I know that it will throw things out of balance if I don't. I will also not be making any decisions in a vacuum, allowing other players (or lurkers?) to comment one time on every other player's entry.

If an entrant does not yet have a prophet, the ability will be conferred once they do.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl] wrote:
Fortunate Son

Tell the story of how one mortal—who, for the record, will never appear directly in game
huh.

So that's what you meant.

As I stated when I discussed my previous story with you, may I use characters I previously introduced in stories not directly in game on a continuing basis for my contest entries? I kinda like Kage and Moira...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

What's the deadline?

--A

Return to “Scions Of Eiran”