Star Wars - The Force Awakens

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think this is actually the best Star Wars film? I'm not 100% on that, it's hard to compare films from the 70s and 80s to really great films made now.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I am encouraged by the positive reviews and what little I've seen of the trailers.

I see the film mid morning this Saturday so I won't have much longer to wait.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm going Saturday night.

I'll report back.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I need to decide how soon to go see it again. The cinema will probably be crowded all weekend.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

We are going late this afternoon--I am ditching work an hour early so we can get to the 1650 showing. That is actually a little early for dinner--we frequent the Movie Tavern for our silver screen events--but I'll skimp on lunch so I will be hungry at that time. Today is Ms. Lebwohl's birthday and this outing is what she wanted. I had already bought our tickets when Liebeschoen's boyfriend found out and asked if he could go, as well, so I bought him a ticket and now they can count it as a date.

I will be certain to post full, unedited, and unfiltered spoilers here so the rest of you don't have to go see it.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I've got my tickets for Saturday afternoon with my son. He is right around the same age that I was when I saw the original in the theater. It's going to be a passing of the torch kind of moment, and I also want to show him what opening weekend of an event movie is like, since my wife doesn't understand the added thrill of the excitement of an audience.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

With all of the reviews in TFA is holding at 95% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes which is the highest rating for a Star Wars film to date. That's pretty encouraging. 😁

Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Hmmm. I'm on the fence here. I've seen the entire franchise in the theater, and swore I was done after the last one. Just when I think I'm out they suck me back in...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Saw it on Wednesday with a mini-horde of other nerds. :P Regrettably no chances for cossing this time. Tickets acquired weeks ago. It's not residing in the same galaxy with the prequel trilogy; didn't have to moan and groan afore bouts of cheesy-corny dialogue or involuntarily burst out laughing due to wooden acting (Padme/Anakin romance. Argh. Gargh.). Would say a mite grittier than original trilogy, though.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Let me say again that I think it's possibly the best film in the series (well, Empire might still be better). Go see it!
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

I got a ticket for a late showing; I get kinda nervous in crowds. The booking guy said that he'd refund the ticket if it's picked up by then. I'll see it later in the week, if so.

I'll be interested seeing Carrie Fisher's performance. The last movie I saw her in was Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars, and if I didn't know she was part of the cast I might never have recognized her.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

And yet, once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away she was the first love of many of my generation...

It's confirmed, I will be seeing this movie at the matinée next Wednesday.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Don't know what the hell that pic has to do with it but hell, it's bought me - consider me in! :D
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

As promised, here are the full, complete, and unedited spoilers so that the rest of you don't have to see the movie:

blasters
things go *boom* and *pow*
people get shot
ships with frikkin laser beams

Seriously, though, the one thing I will say is that anyone who got turned off from the franchise because of Episodes I, II, and III will do themselves a disservice if they do not see this movie. Everything you loved about Episodes IV, V, and VI when you first saw them is present in this movie. Sure, some plot devices are similar to what we have seen before but this is supposed to be an "everything old is new again" experience.

Also, don't worry if the plot seems a little contrived--remember that the Force is moving behind the scenes, putting just the right people in just the right place at just the right time so that things will happen as they "should". If the overall patterns hold true, as they should, we will also get a little more backstory about the main characters in Episode VIII. Sure, by halfway through the movie we are familiar with these characters but we don't really know who they *are*. Patience.

My prediction for Episode VIII: look for two big reveals, doubling down on the reveal we had in Episode V. One of these reveals will be that someone whom we thought dead, because he clearly couldn't survive what happened to him, will not be dead.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm not holding my breath on your last sentence.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote: ships with frikkin laser beams
Spoiler
Also forget not the undead flying sharks with laser beams. I loved how Rey rode one of them through the space and blasted Stormtroopers into smithereens.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Seeing it again in a few hours.

Things I'm interested in finding out in the next film:
Spoiler
1. Obvious one: Who are Rey's family?
2. Is Snoke really a giant or does he just like using holograms to make people look up at him? Who the hell is he?
3. Who are the Knights of Ren? Are they, as I suspect, just a bunch of angry brats like he is?
4. Why isn't Leia a Jedi?

I expect we'll find out a lot more about how Ren got seduced to the dark side in the next film, since this one ended with Snoke ordering British Ginger Nazi Guy to bring Ren in to complete his training.
Though I must say I'm not sure what to think of the sequels having different directors and writers. Hard to use how good this one was to say the others will also be.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Just got out of the theater.
I give the film the highest compliment possible.

It was Star Wars.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It was better than I expected it to be. It has a derivative feel to it, as if JJA was trying to reboot the series without officially calling it a reboot.

My gripes are fanboy related.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:One of these reveals will be that someone whom we thought dead, because he clearly couldn't survive what happened to him, will not be dead.
No way.
Spoiler
I've read that Ford thought one of the biggest mistakes of Empire was that they didn't kill off Solo. I think he's done. But aside from Ford's feelings about the character, I don't think they'd fake us out twice.
Also,
Spoiler
Isn't it obvious that Rey is the sister of Kylo Ren?? Don't most people know that Leia and Han had twins? I thought this was common knowledge. But in the movie they don't even address it.
I thought this movie was perfect. There were so many moments where I thought they nailed it so well, I was emotional on a level beyond what was actually happening (which was usually very emotional in itself), and marveling for the pure wonder of moviemaking magic. Everything I wanted the Prequel Trilogy to achieve, this movie made it seem effortless. One has to wonder how Lucas missed the marked so wide.

The movie has plenty of nostalgia factor going on, with a look and feel of the original trilogy (sufficiently updated, of course), but also with great new characters that are immediately engaging and likeable. Finn is great. I loved that guy. Rey is a beautiful badass. There are lots of funny, laugh out loud moments, and emotional scenes that make these people seem real. Important. Genuine.

From a strictly visual and effects perspective, this was a beautiful movie with amazing shots and thrilling action. I loved how impacts from blasters seem to pack a punch, complete with puffs of dust. The lightsaber battles have never seemed so real, so brutal. The sabers actually seem like swords of light, not effects or props. They even sizzle in the snow.

This is the best SW movie, without a doubt. Given the high expectations, and how well they were fulfilled, it's simply amazing.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “Flicks”