The man who ....

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Skyweir
Lord of Light

The man who ....

Post by Skyweir »

Take it from here Danlo ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

The Man with One Red Shoe?

Post by danlo »

who (rocks) who, who!? (naughty) who, who, who (owl) who, who, who, who!!! (tigger) WHO is Reed Stephens?
For I am a bear of small brains and long words bother me...
--A.A. Milne
fall far and well Pilots!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Not again!

Post by aliantha »

What is Reed Stephens?

When is Reed Stephens?

Where is Reed Stephens?

How is Reed Stephens?

And above all, WHY is Reed Stephens??
Skyweir
Lord of Light

who let the dogs out??? ...

Post by Skyweir »

who is Steed Revens??
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
robo
Ramen

Post by robo »

This is the same reviewer as in Crossing the Gap. After reading I really think I should keep my distance from these writings of Donaldson's. Go to the link below:

homepages.ihug.co.nz/~gperry/AxFiles.htm
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Gavrielle Perry is a highly entertaining critic .. I really enjoyed reading this article!! Very funny! .. I just hope she is not as accurate in her appraisal as she is witty .. though I will admit to not being a little drawn to these 'Man who...' books ..

After TCTC and the Gap it is hard to conceptualise any of SRD's works being without merit .. and of performing at a lesser level than his earlier works ..

was a cool read anyhoo
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

I don't know about U...

Post by danlo »

but 4 some reason alot of Fantasy & Sci-Fi readers just can't get in2 detective or mystery novels. Y should we? We'd all be reading Naigo Marsh, John LeCarre and that book puker factory: John Grisham (hehehehe!! how do u like that Dad!?) instead of all this good stuff! No we don't want 2 read about the REAL world! Anyway, I'm going 2 put The Man Who Fought Alone back on my, already xtensive, reading list (hopefully it will come out in paperback<cheep, cheep!> soon) and I'll get back 2 y'all w/my thoughts after I read it--whenever that will b...
Last edited by danlo on Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

mystery novels

Post by aliantha »

The only mystery writer that I read anymore is Tony Hillerman, and that's mainly because I like his characters...
danlo
Lord

Of course u do!

Post by danlo »

Hillerman's great! (even my Dad likes him..coff,coff) All the best characters come from NM--even me! :roll: :wink:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yes, yes, Danlo... <aliantha pats Danlo on head>
Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

If you like Hillerman, you might like Margaret Coel. She has four (maybe five, by now) mysteries out, set among the Arapaho on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming. Her main characters are a priest, Father John, and Vicky Holden, an Arapaho woman and a lawyer.

Good stuff! Like Hillerman, Coel develops her characters. So while each mystery stands on its own, if you read the books chronologically, you get to enjoy the character development and not just that of the main characters but the whole supporting cast.

Amazon.com should have all the info on this series that you could wish for.

- Hearthcoal
danlo
Lord

Even Better!!!

Post by danlo »

One of the coolest!!! Things I've read in awhile is the Anasazi Mystery Series (The Visitant, The Summoning God & Bone Walker) by William & Kathleen Geer--they r both very well respected anthropologists (from Wyoming, btw) these books r about forensic anthropoligists in the present day tying 2 solve a series murders that happened in the 1,100s as the great and mysterious Anasazi culture was starting 2 die out in northwestern NM. So it switches back and 4th from our time 2 their time--it is amazing stuff not only r u constantly on the edge of ur seat but u learn alot about their history and alot about anthroplogy and NM1 yea! Now get ur butts back 2 "What r u reading in general?" and leave po' ol' Reed Stephens alone!!!
Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

We're going, we're going...sheesh!!! Sensitive, ain't he! :wink:

Before I leave though, here are a few links back to the ODB

Reed Stephens Discussion

The Reed Stephens Lending Library

new discussion page Forum proposal: Reed Stephens
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I went to the bookstore today and none of the "Man Who..." books are available even special order! "The Man Who Fought Alone" is coming out in paperback on October 28, or so I was informed by Barnes & Noble.
The King has one more move.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Having read the four books titled "The man who...." I feel entitled to write a short piece about them.

Let me start right away by saying the SRD is not among the greatest mystery writers. Actually the most mysterious thing about some of the books is how the main character can actually avoid seeing the truth for so long. But having read the chronicles I guess I do not need any further explanations. :?

But when that is said I must say that the books have the same entrancing quality that all the other SRD works I have read have. (I might make an exception for "Mirror of her Dreams", but I will not.)

Once again SRD exercises his talent to create interesting characters whose fates are interesting enough to me to keep reading just to see what happens to them. And yes, the books contain a lot of pain. In one of the books the protagonist gets shot in the gut, and he carries through the next two books with this pain as a constant companion. (Sound familiar.)

I will mention the last book, especially, mostly because it is the last one I read but also because there you get to see mystery novel set in something as unusual as a martial arts tournament. Apparently SRD's Shotokan Karate training has paid off in this regard at least.

I recommend these books, of course, but know that they do not contain any fantastic elements.

:D
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”