Re-Reading MN: Spoilers.

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Re-Reading MN: Spoilers.

Post by Avatar »

Aarrg, every time I read this I have to remember how much Terisa annoys me for the first book, and probably half the second. I swear I'm gonna start a THOOTMH. :D

Anyway, the Masters are in a meeting, and Geraden is off to see if he can send her back, if she wants to go.

Enjoyed Havelock/Quillion's "intervention" and of course Gart's attack, although we don't know who he is yet.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, the Perdon just arrived under attack of Imagery, and vowed to send his dead and wounded to lie at Joyse's feet, conveniently distracting Eremis from Terisa.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Things finally pick up in the lead-up to the Congery's translation of the champion.

The Tor arrives, poor bastard, the meeting between the Lords and Eremis and Kragen was great, and in the aftermath of the champions destruction, we get a glimpse into the tortured soul of Lebbick.

We also meet Artagel of course, and another dose of Gart and his Apts with him. (And we find out Nyle is in Orison, hiding from everybody...)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Book II (of TMOHD) definitely picks up the pace. We learn the possibility that the King might actually be doing it all on purpose, and of course Terisa rushes off and tells Eremis.

Myste has gone after the champion, Elega is plotting, and we get a flash of what Havelock used to be, which I always like.

Another bout with Gart sees Artagel down, and the main characters are chasing after Nyle to see what he's up to.

--A

Post by Avatar »

In the last chapters of MoHD Terisa finally grows some backbone. :D

The Congery tries Eremis and Geraden, and a new purpose is discovered for Nyle.

On to AMRT now...my favourite of the two.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

You're a fast reader, Avatar! I started TMOHD a month and a half ago, and am only now finishing the sixth chapter of AMRT (but at least now I can answer IrrationalSanity's trivia question). Once I'm done with my MN re-read, it will be interesting to see how re-reading the Gap Cycle makes me feel, now that I know how it all works out. Thanks for the updates!

Post by Avatar »

And I've just started the 11th chapter. ;)

(I do read fast...bane of my bloody life. :lol: To be honest, a week for MoHD counts as taking my time. :D I squeezed 20 odd hours of AC2 in there as well, which is mostly what slowed it down.)

There's no doubt that AMRT is my favourite of the 2. Contrary to my previous prediction, Terisa seems to have sorted herself out near the end of book 1, and she's developed into a much better character.

2 things...it seems to have happened awfully fast, and now it's almost like she was never useless, even though she seriously was.

Imagers now, albeit without any mirrors, (ironic right?) they've ridden across the Cares, found little help, and brought ruin down on the Queen.

(This may be good in the long run, but it still feels like it was a mistake to go tell her...she'd been left alone that long...suddenly Geraden turns up, she makes motions of acting, and...avalanche...kidnapped. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, in the closing chapters of AMRT. Battle has been joined.

also, turns out Eremis would have kidnapped her regardless, so no real harm done.

Obviously Joyse's resurrection as it were has been great. Poor old Lebbick...I always feel for him, dying without knowing it had all been worthwhile.

--A

Post by Avatar »

And the happy fairytale ending comes at last, after the good guys fair share of suffering, sacrifice and loss, Norge and the Tor and Ribult first and foremost among them.

A great story, really made by book 2. Enjoyed it.

I meant to reread the Gap books next, but I've lent them to somebody, so have to read something else in the meanwhile.

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I haven't read it in more than 6 years, but I remember liking the 1st book better than the 2nd. I liked all the intrigue in the castle, and thought the story suffered once they left. I don't remember Terisa bothering me at all. The final showdown was pretty cool. I also liked watching Terisa and Geridan (sp?) coming into their own.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Oh dear, I love the Mordant books. You've whetted my apetite again. Once I've finished the brilliant book I'm reading about Chaucer, it will be these two again. :D For the umpteenth time!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."

Post by Avatar »

Zarathustra wrote:I haven't read it in more than 6 years, but I remember liking the 1st book better than the 2nd. I liked all the intrigue in the castle, and thought the story suffered once they left. I don't remember Terisa bothering me at all. The final showdown was pretty cool. I also liked watching Terisa and Geridan (sp?) coming into their own.
I liked them travelling around, learning more about the Cares, and of course, seeing all the different things Imagery was achieving.

While I liked them coming into their own, it seemed to happen almost incidentally.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: Re-Reading MN: Spoilers.

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Aarrg, every time I read this I have to remember how much Terisa annoys me for the first book, and probably half the second. I swear I'm gonna start a THOOTMH. :D

Anyway, the Masters are in a meeting, and Geraden is off to see if he can send her back, if she wants to go.

Enjoyed Havelock/Quillion's "intervention" and of course Gart's attack, although we don't know who he is yet.

--A
At this point in time, I'm doing another re-read of MN, and just got past that scene where they see the Perdon's soldiers being attacked as they head for Orison.

And yes, the intervention of Quillon and Havelock was a pleasant surprise early in the story, and as great a help to the reader as it was to Terisa. :)

Post by Avatar »

Oh good, keep an eye out for Minnick's wife's name...Maybe I should re-read after-all, before I get too far into Outlander...

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Oh good, keep an eye out for Minnick's wife's name...Maybe I should re-read after-all, before I get too far into Outlander...

--A
Will do, Avatar! I strongly suspect that Minick's wife is not given a first name in the story, but I'll find out and report when I've gotten to that point in the story. :read: 8O :biggrin: 8)

Post by Avatar »

At least that'll get the trivia thread rolling again. :D

(And I suspect you're right, although if it's Min I'll be annoyed. :D )

--A
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Min 8O

Enjoy yourself, Hurn.

First time I read the books, Havelock and Quillon annoyed me. They gave enough info to whet my appetite and then they sent her back to her rooms before I could figure out the lay of the place. We never did get a clear picture of the geography.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Min 8O

Enjoy yourself, Hurn.

First time I read the books, Havelock and Quillon annoyed me. They gave enough info to whet my appetite and then they sent her back to her rooms before I could figure out the lay of the place. We never did get a clear picture of the geography.
Thank you, Shadowbinding Shoe! It's always fun for me to read these books, and this is at least the sixth time reading. The most puzzling thing about the Mordant's Need story is the geography, for certain, because I can never get a clear picture of where everything is in relation to everything else. I only know for certain that Armigite is to the northwest of Orison, Perdon is to the northeast of Orison, Tor is to the south of Orison, Cadwal is to the east of Mordant, and Alend is to the north and west of Mordant. Any other descriptions of geography in the story only manage to confuse me! :?

Post by Avatar »

There's a map somewhere...think danlo made it.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:There's a map somewhere...think danlo made it.

--A
Alas, I think it's no longer accessible. :(

Return to “Mordant's Need”