The Five to Fifteen Minutes Thread.

The place for fiction and poetry....

Moderators: deer of the dawn, Furls Fire

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

The Break-Up continued

*Slight warning...this section has some degree of swearing [Nothing I consider too bad but just fair warning]

Alan glanced at Karah sideways almost as if he had not heard her "You look like her. It's...it's difficult"

Karah concentrated on Alan's face. His face seemed solid...too solid. It seemed like it was about to crack. There was something painful about to come...she sensed it but could not imagine what. She kept her gaze fixed oh him trying to study every movement. She was trying to search for the right things to say. Truthfully she was beginning to get impatient and distractingly flipped her blonde hair as the wind blew through it.

Alan's next words tumbled out as if he could not decide what to say "I need to say goodbye. I need to leave and you were the only person that was friendly to me. This has been a difficult year. And....and..."

Karah heard Alan's voice cracking. Her own mind racing trying to put all the words together to make any sense 'goodbye'? what the hell?

"And I just cannot stay here. But I wanted to say thank you. I know I was too pushy...I know...I know...I'm sorry Karah I just needed to talk to someone...Damn you look like her...can't you understand? "

Karah's patience was reaching a tilting point. She could not make out what was going on... "Alan look..."

Alan kept rattling as if Karah was not there even though he was studying Karah's face as if she might disappear at any moment. "The pain is too much. I used to find peace here but now....now its just a damn reminder!"

Karah flinched a little as Alan shouted. Karah had never heard him like this. She noticed that his body was tensed and his face contorted. "Alan I don't understand?!"

Karah noticed that Alan seemed to listen and catch his breath. His face barely containing whatever pain he was feeling.

Finally Alan broke "Karah you probably didn't know her too well. she was a few grades below you. My sister...My sister OH GOD!! she died a year ago"

Karah noticed that Alan finally broke down the tears falling freely, his body shaking. Damn, she mumbled to herself. She had been so busy... Damn, damn damn. How could she forget? A great internal fluctuation of emotions welled inside of her. Anger for not knowing what to say, pity for Alan, sympathy, back to anger how could he expect her to help? Karah's face flushed...everything seemed more clear. The anger at her selfishness boiled inside. Alan had just been trying to say thank you..goodbye...simple Why was she so callous...why was she so shallow....damn, damn ,damn.

Karah's resolve broke inside... she had not even told her best friend yet. But her emotions were at an apex. She blurted out the only thing she had been holding inside "Damn it Alan I broke up with Troy"

Alan studied Karah in disbelief. Alan could not understand why Karah blurted out. He was about to shout in anger - who cares? But at the last moment he held back. Alan studied Karah one second longer and noticed her pain. He wiped away his tears. Alan just stared at Karah the pain still burning inside. "I'm sorry Karah"

The silence stretched out, neither one of them talking. They both moved their legs through the water. They continued to look at each other dealing with their own pains. Not knowing what to say.

Karah mumbled "I'm sorry Alan... I ...I forgot..."

Alan glanced out towards the pond "Its ok Karah"

Karah noticed that Alan had become fixed. His whole posture leaning towards the pond. Karah relaxed - she had no place to go. Besides it was peaceful there....

The cloud shifted over two figures on a deck. Neither person seemed to care that the cloud provided a little shade. The cloud moved on..it had other places to go.

THE END
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

samrw3 wrote:PS Still looking for a Sorus story in here or two minute thread - get cracking! :P

Just kidding although I would like to read one of yours one of these days I understand how these things go.
Be careful what you wish for.

Okay, it's been... holy crap, over a year since I added to this, so I'm going to repost the last bit in the hope that it'll make at least a little more sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sending you Downriver."

Anybody else, I'd be waiting for a punchline. But Director Indigo has no use for humor. She's watching me. Waiting for a response.

I don't have a response. The surreal quality of the day has reached a fever pitch. I might burst out laughing. Make a smartass remark.

Neither would be appreciated. What does she want from me?

I look down at the file in my hands, seeking inspiration. Well, glory be. There's a punchline after all.

"He's gone missing. Downriver Market. Three days now." She fiddles with rearranging one of the many stacks of papers on her desk, and I realize she's nervous.

I should be nervous. I probably will be nervous if I can get past incredulous.

"Three days," I repeat. "He's probably sleeping it off in some 5-star hotel. Doesn't the Market cater to--" Careful now... "People of means with... discerning tastes?" Proud of myself. Weaselwords that won't set off any alarms if the room is bugged, which it almost certainly is.

"He may have crossed a line. He's probably dead."

Well, light a red candle to Lady Karma. "What does this have to do with me?"

"Find him. Or find out what happened to him."

"And then what? Drag him back here in chains? We have no jurisdiction Downriver."

"He's missing. He's the victim here."

Victim. Right. "The families of his victims might disagree with that."

"He was acquitted." Slowly, patiently, as though explaining to a particularly slow child.

"I know," I reply. "I was there."

(Be realistic, Gwen. His grandfather built this city. Did you really expect him to end up on the auction block?)

I can feel anger rising like heat through my diaphragm - mentally tamp it back down with both thumbs. Not now. It settles, heavy as clay in my chest. Dormant. It will do.

"And you were there," I say evenly. "You were there when his lawyers warned me to stay away from him and his family. So why me?"

She shuffles papers, not meeting my eyes. "They asked for you."

"They asked for me. Why?"

Because I'm expendable. She finds what she was looking for amid the clutter, pushes a thick envelope across to me. I take it warily. Inside, a train ticket and a bundle of cash.

"Bribe money."

I give her an incredulous look. She makes a soothing gesture. "For you to use to gain information, if needed. We have no jurisdiction Downriver."

"When do I leave?"

"On the next train. Don't stay any longer than necessary. I expect a full report by 0800 tomorrow."

A round-trip ticket. At least she expects me to come back. After that, well, it's anyone's guess.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The buzz of conversation stops abruptly as I exit Director Indigo's office. I'm used to it. Used to the sidelong glances. Used to the silent judgement.

And the not-so-silent judgement.

"Maybe they'll finally restore our budget," Jin smirks, tosses her hair.

"May you get what you deserve," I murmur in return. My vision blurs, but the heat of my anger is sufficient to cauterize the tears unshed.

A gasp of shock, echoed by her retinue of marionettes. Already fading behind me. All I want is to get out of the building before I lose my composure. Nine years. Nine bloody thankless years.

You always knew it would end this way.

But it's not over yet.

I'm early, but the train is already waiting, a radiation-scarred hulk, a relic from when the world was whole. It's dark inside. Lead plates cover the windows. The seats are covered in red velvet, worn and frayed. The color is dark as spilled blood in the dim light. It fits my mood.

When the world was whole, the trains glided smoothly along the rails at dizzying speeds. They move slower now, every inch an agonizing rattle and jolt.

I wish I could see out the window. Not there's much to see. The Necropolis, the barrowlands. The river. My destination lies at the end of the river. And it truly is the end.

They say it was the epicenter of the attack. Forces beyond our comprehension tore a hole in the fabric of reality itself. The Feronae built a city around it. It isn't much of a city; they are few, and their power wanes. But it's the seat of their consulate, and the site of a trading outpost of singular reputation.

Downriver Market offers contraband from a dozen worlds, including Earth. Pre-war relics, every flavor of the forbidden - most meant to be enjoyed on-site - good luck importing it into your bubble-city.

There's a change in air pressure. Everything seems muffled. Muted. Almost there.

There's no station on this end. The tracks simply vanish into the sand.

The sky is low and claustrophobically heavy. They say it's always that way; there's no night or day here. No sun, no moon, no stars. It's neither hot nor cold.

The city is... anticlimactic. It's gray - almost desaturated - and cobbled together from worn driftwood. It doesn't look like a bastion of licentious wealth. And at the center... they say you shouldn't look directly at the rift, but how can you not? It's there and not there, and the wrongness pulls the eye as a magnet pulls iron. A mindless, insatiable hunger - a silent howl that has leached all sound and color from the landscape.

I want to turn around and get back on the train.

The city seems almost deserted as I approach, but I can feel that I am being watched.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I liked that, Sam. It felt like a comfortable silence at the end. A little bit of ambiguity as to where they'll go from there.

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Sorus wrote:I liked that, Sam. It felt like a comfortable silence at the end. A little bit of ambiguity as to where they'll go from there.
Thanks Sorus :) I had a hard time with the story- My big problem was way back when I started I had planned for Karah to steamroll all over Alan and be cruel as could be. Then a problem happened - I started liking the character of Karah too much and I could not do it. WOW that threw me for a loop because I called the piece the break-up and I no longer had Karah telling off Alan. So...that is why I had to re-write in Alan, make Alan likeable just clumsy in his approach and write in a jerky boyfriend for Karah.

I was afraid it had become kind of a Franken-story where I was trying to wedge in an ending I did not buy for. But ?I think? I still made it work.

I will read your story on my lunch time. But YEAH for plunging in!!! :letsparty:
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

I really like your story so far Sorus :)

I like the main character as the narrator and the smart-ass attitude. I am liking how it is building the suspense and mystery. I like the internal thinking. Also nicely done on the descriptive parts (just a few excerpts taken here)

"heat of my anger is sufficient to cauterize the tears unshed"

"train is already waiting, a radiation-scarred hulk, a relic "

"The seats are covered in red velvet, worn and frayed. The color is dark as spilled blood in the dim light"

"mindless, insatiable hunger - a silent howl that has leached all sound and color from the landscape."

Anyways good job and glad you posted more :)
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Well, I don't have more of that last Tamara character right now. (I like that character, too.)
But here's part of a scene I've wanted to write for like... a long time:

"Look, if you get the Eyesight 2000, you can import visual data, too!"
"Ooo-ooh."
Glossy catalog pages were all over my floor.
We were supposed to be paperless a hundred years ago, but old ways die hard.
It was a shower for Jen. We had a bride-to-be, and we'd gathered all our friends, but she had gotten quiet and I didn't know why.
"Hey, Jennifer, I'm going to have a smoke, come outside?"
"She's the guest of honor - whatcha gonna go and do that for? You can't take her from us."
I pouted, lower lip projecting out.
"Well, okay. But what I'm trying to say is, 'what's wrong?' "
Jen was a mousey, quiet sort; I was used to that. But ever since we'd pulled out the Eye-Minder catalogs, she'd gone really, really silent.
All of a sudden, all eyes were on her. Anxious eyes.

Matilda broke the silence.
"Oh. my. God."
"What?" said three voices almost at once.
"She's not going to get one."
"Nooooo."
Laughter.
"Jen, this is so silly. Why are they saying this?"
Jen found her voice - barely. "Actually..."
Wide eyes.
"...we were thinking of not going with an Eye-Minder."
"Wow, you are so trusting."
The first thing out of the first mouth was Matilda.
I sidled up beside Jen. "We really don't think this is a good idea. But if that is what you want to do, we will support you for as long as you go without one."

Sam- way to go!
I love how once Karah gets there Alan is not giving her the attention that she is expecting he would... he's distant from her, and she doesn't know what to do with that and it annoys her.

When I'm reading that he's says he needs to say goodbye, I am jumpy right there with Karah - both sympathizing with her, and also a bit annoyed with her.
sam wrote:The cloud shifted over two figures on a deck. Neither person seemed to care that the cloud provided a little shade. The cloud moved on..it had other places to go.
I really like the symbolism! Sweet closing paragraph.

Sorus- I love the train. the atmosphere.
the image "her retinue of marionettes."
There's no station on this end. The tracks simply vanish into the sand.
This^ reminds of the dialog with that one woman / ancient goddess who looked like she'd just left a masquerade ball or something... torn out of time.

"good luck importing it into your bubble-city." <--:lol:
Sorus wrote:they say you shouldn't look directly at the rift, but how can you not? It's there and not there, and the wrongness pulls the eye as a magnet pulls iron
^ THIS. and "gray - almost desaturated."
Sorus wrote:They say it's always that way; there's no night or day here. No sun, no moon, no stars. It's neither hot nor cold.
For me, this immediately evokes a place in the Bible where the phrase "If this fixed order departs from before me" is used by God in a sort of oath, a clause to express just how sure something is; an example of "no-way-and-no-how-is-this-going-to-be-disrupted."
(the "fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night" ...with "the sun for light by day" implicitly referenced.)
That makes the wrongness of a geographical place where that is maybe violated... all the more chillingly creepy!
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
sam wrote:The cloud shifted over two figures on a deck. Neither person seemed to care that the cloud provided a little shade. The cloud moved on..it had other places to go.
I really like the symbolism! Sweet closing paragraph.

Thanks Linna!

:)

Linna your recent story has an interesting premise - would like to see where it goes!

Ok I want to gauge some interest here. Since my break-up was pretty short story I want to potentially dip my toes into a longer story. But I have one hesitation. The story I have in mind will have some religious sprinklings (not theological or doctrinal) So here is my setting:

Young woman (mid 30s) finds herself miraculously alive after a apocalyptic event/s have occurred. She ventures out into the world to discover what occurred especially since she is hearing rumors of return of Christ. She was never a believer and even now after all the terrible events there is large doubt among many living if the events ushered in return of Christ. she decides to investigate and find out for herself by traveling to the supposed location of Christ.

The story I have in my mind will be a riff off "The Road" [ A father and his young son journey across post-apocalyptic America some years after an extinction event] and "The Other Wise Man"[ which recounts a story about a fourth Wise Man who did not make with with the Three Wise Men]

So votes -
Yes - especially since it may have some religious sprinklings
Yes - interesting idea don't care if it has religion in it
Yes although try to keep religion downplayed
No - I just don't like the story idea - but that is not due to religion sprinklings
No - I would not read a story with even religious sprinklings even if it was the last story on earth
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

My vote -

Yes, and write the story however you feel it works best.

I'm fighting with my own nature here and toning down a bit of the brutality in my story, but I won't censor myself.

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Sorus wrote: I'm fighting with my own nature here and toning down a bit of the brutality in my story, but I won't censor myself.
I hope to see more of your story - include brutality as you need- yes never censor yourself!

I know you struggle with that - but just recommending again if you think it is in PG13 (or stronger?) territory just write a disclaimer before the passage. I write a profanity disclaimer before my last passage and lets be honest that was TV-PG level profanity but I threw it in there for those sensitive to reading profanity or before they let younger children read it.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I should probably put a warning on all my stuff, as I am a poor judge of what might bother people. I'd say it won't be appropriate for kids, but on the other hand, I was a kid who would read anything.

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

I was raised in a religious family. However my parents never monitored what I read and left me to make my own decisions. So I read a vast variety of books when I was younger and being found fortunate to run across Donaldson and realizing the scope of my reading could be at a different level.

By scope I mean something deeper. Before that point I was reading mostly quick escapism type books. In Donaldson I discovered deeper themes, characters that had depth and a challenge to seek books that were more intellectually stimulating. Now not saying I am not a good escapism book now and again just saying that I discovered that books could immerse me in a world I could not imagine before.

So yeah I hesitate the warning stuff too but I realize there are those that are more sensitive so I figure it doesn't hurt me to threw a disclaimer here and there. However, you should make own judgment call - I mean this is adult website so people should read posts at their own caution. So if you decided not to put a disclaimer so people get offended oh well....we cannot appease everyone and trying to hurts ourselves because we cannot share of ourselves to those that are interested.

Just my two cents although I respect any decision you make.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Gulp! Time got away from me! Its been two week since I have been active down here.

Well. in that time I thought of a interesting concept story. But All I Have so far is the concept and not much of story line figured out.

So here it starts:

Dawn of Alit

Alit sat on the edge of the cliff that looked down on the rebel city of Absolun. He stroked a rock with his gloved hand wanting to remove his glove and release his power.

Yes HIS power. He sneered down at Absolun. So easy..he could demolish Absolun in one mighty landslide. The thought made him tug at his right glove.

The king of course advised him to never use his power. The king and his safe, conservative paths. Alit was tired of playing it safe. For ten years they had been fighting the Tergons and demolishing Absolun would be a huge blow to a Tergon base.

Of course Alit had never released his power on this scale. He knew he could die in the attempt. But life had become almost meaningless to him. Day after day checking walls, running scouts, practicing countermeasures - all small scale nothings.

How could he not make change the scope of the war? He - Alit! His name would be remembered in the councils. Alit grinned and tugged at his right glove some more.

He knew he would have to decide quickly. He would not be surprised that the king had sent scouts to search for him. He knew the king did not fully trust him. Alit was the last of magical breed with unheard power.

Alit dropped the rock and removed his gloves one by one. He slowly moved his hands to the cliff wall. Alit concentrated his thoughts through his hands unto the ground. The earth shook around him. Alit's heart pounded. He did not want to stop now. Stopping now would be a weakness.

The earth began to tremor and expand. Dirt and rocks burst out of the cliff walls. Still Alit concentrated all his thoughts into the cliff wall. The entire side of the wall next to Alit burst to life in a massive structure of rocks. Alit barely scampered to his left in time to see the colossal wall structure form a destructive path for Absolun.

Yet the structure faltered when Alit released his hold and tore apart in a eruption of might which landed dirt and rocks near Absolun's walls. Huge rocks caved in portions of the wall. Dirt caked the skies.

Alit cursed, he had fallen short of his objective. Absloun still stood. He had lost his nerve and moved to safety. He knew he would have to report back to the king. He hadn't planned on failure. But failure mocked at him as the final dirt and rocks slid down the cliff wall.

Alit knew he could try to escape and live as a vagabond. But Alit called Tyxxis his home. No he would return and face the king.

Alit tugged back on his gloves and headed west.

Note - for those interested I will start my religious sprinklings story in little while but this concept story called out to me - so what can I say?
:D
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I like it so far. How do you come up with your character names? I ask because that's something I always struggle with, and because that's the second character you've created that has a very similar name to one of my WoW characters.

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Sorus wrote:I like it so far. How do you come up with your character names? I ask because that's something I always struggle with, and because that's the second character you've created that has a very similar name to one of my WoW characters.
Thanks! I wished I had better described Alit's power. I get so impatient that I try to rush through passages and don't spend the time to better visualize the story to the reader. Ah well. I think it could be an interesting concept but as described in my last passage I have not figured out much of a story outline.

As far as characters names - yeah that can be tough. Usually I take a trait that I want the character to have and twist their name to fit. So in the two minute thread - way back ago Turam was literally me thinking of a quick action. strong animal. Karah was something more simple I like the name Sarah but wanted a more interesting name for the story so just kind of went along the alphabet until I hit K and it felt right - hah! Alit was again after a trait - so there I was thinking elite and Alit just jumped in there pretty quickly after that. Absolun was twist from absolute. Tyxxis - no idea - lol - I just wanted something with X in it - hehe. So yeah nothing definite and nothing conscious about taking names from games/movies/books/popular culture, etc. Although our minds play tricks on us and I conceded that it is possible that unconsciously I am picking up something from some other source.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Sorry I've been MIA here. (Again.)

I use similar themes for naming places - I like to use something that helps give a visual nudge, since I'm sometimes bad at describing scenery. (What? I can see it perfectly in my head, I don't know why you can't.) Never thought about extending it to character names as well.

Anyway, I have a cat named Kara, and I use variations on Ilat as one of my WoW names, so I was curious.

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Sorus wrote:I use similar themes for naming places - I like to use something that helps give a visual nudge, since I'm sometimes bad at describing scenery. (What? I can see it perfectly in my head, I don't know why you can't.).
That had me laughing - I understand completely. I think I described something fine and after I hear how others have read the passage I'm like what?? How did you get that from there?

I am frustrated right now because I really like the story of Alit but even after a couple weeks I can't figure out what I want Alit to achieve- meaning the purpose of the story. I want Alit to become something or conquer something or have some 'moral' reason for the story and for the life of me I can't figure it out. Because I have not figured out my Z end point I cannot determine The B - Y adventures.

So let me ask you a question what do you do when you have a adventure that you want a character to be involved with but it seems like that adventure may be taken from somewhere else? So I have this cool idea of Alit meeting up with this gigantic sand spider but the twist is the creatures front legs have more of scorpion pincers than spider legs. But I cannot get over the fact that it seems too derivate off LOTR spider scene, and other sand creatures scenes in other movies/books. When you have something similar to that, do you forget the idea or do you figure a way to twist it some more to make it more unique?
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because I write a LOT of fanfic and I love a good inside joke/homage/etc.

I would try to make it my own, but I would also be okay if the LOTR fans and such were nodding and recognizing me as one of them.

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Thanks Sorus! I am glad about that. I can sometimes become too concerned about things like this. I was going to take the attitude of it didn't matter if people thought it was too similar but I'm glad that others think of it the way I do.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Dawn of Alit - Continued

Trulte led the scouts to Uetre the last magical city near Outer Perimeter. The king assigned him to review Uetre's activities and rumors of a growing force within the city. Trutle had taken the assignment with no hesitation.

Uetre had always been a source of rumors and tales. Trutle knew most of the truth. Uetre was like any other city except for all its citizens having magical abilities. When Trutle had visited Uetre over a year ago he had found a strangely quiet city. Of course it was just a tiny city of no more than 30 people and they viewed visitors as unwelcome burdens. Trulte had not cared then and did not care now how the people of Uetre viewed him. He had a job to do and report back to the king. That was Trutle's life and he was proud to be the youngest Outer Scout Leader ever designated.

Trutle saw the Outer Permiter desert loom as a consuming brown force and he shuffled his hand for the scouts to stop. He called over to Pythal "Is Unner back yet?"

Pythal snapped to attention "No sir she has not returned"

Trutle swore under his breath and questioned his choice of sending Unner as the leading scout. Unner had a tendency to make note of everything no matter how small and to report it all back in nauseating detail. However, Unner was the fastest scout he knew and she was specifically assigned this role for her speed.

Trutle hesitated he loathed getting closer to Ueter without a report from Unner but they had already had lost time in the Low Bogs. Trutle did not like hesitation and would have to speak to Unner about her delays.

Trutle motioned the scouts to move heading east of the city at least that direction there would be tree cover. They were almost to the trees when Unner almost collided into Trutle.

"Damn it Unner what are you doing"

Unner was breathing heavily with a wide-eyed look and crashed on her knees before Trutle.

Trutle snapped "Get up damn it!" Trutle hesitated he had never seen Unner in this state before but he needed a report. "Unner!! Get a hold of yourself and tell me!"

Unner sucked in a long breath of air, stood and said "Sir".

Trutle saw hesitation and something resembling fear in Unners eyes. He could not countenance fear. "Unner get on with it or I will lock you up in the slime holes!"

Unner's eyes scaned Trutle "Sir, the city is destroyed I fear all are dead."

Trutle grabbed Unners leather tunic "What is this nonsense I asked for a report not some blathering idiocy"

Unner looked Trutle straight in the eyes "Sir the city is destroyed, houses torn in two, the wall has cracks, the ground burst open parts of the wall..."

Trutle shoved Unner back on her heels "How could this be?"

"I don't know sir but I could tell that it happened not too long ago"

Trutle cursed - more delays now they would have to approach the city carefully.

Pythal retorted "Sir a young boy approaches"

Trutle scanned just past the trees and saw a young boy scampering towards them. Trutle held his hands up to the scouts and shouted across the line "Do not follow me"

Unner shouted "But sir"

Trutle shouted "NO ONE I go alone!"

Trutle strutted towards the boy who was still scampering their direction.

Trutle shouted "Come here boy"

The boy stopped, hesitated and ran nearby Trutle. He grabbed Trutle by his tunic as if to command some authority over Trutle.

The boy looked puzzled as he shook Trutle's tunic. "Master what is this material I must have some. MUST!"

Trutle took a step back and huffed "Boy you do not command me! I could kill you where you stand!"

The boy took great glee in this comment and danced around Trutle as if to taunt him.

"Boy stop that and tell me your name"

The boy stood facing Trutle and looked at Trutle with mischievous eyes that glimmered like a diamond "My name Master is Alit"
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

(not continuing any current story... just a fragment.)

Stupid youth worker. I mean she's really nice and whatever, but she doesn't get it. She gave us the, "We should be welcoming" speech. Because Jesus would, and doesn't he want us to.
She doesn't get it.
I watched May's eyes glaze over.
Yep. It just doesn't make much sense to explain why May wouldn't feel like doing what she's asking.

How do you raise your hand and say, "Uhh, nice youth group lady ...over here, I have a question?"
And then she would just be like, "Yeah, May - what's up?"
And can you imagine if May was all like, "I know why I don't like welcome other kids I don't know."
And then she'll be like "Why?" and May will be like, "When I was 6, and my cousin was 2, I was supposed to watch her and let her do whatever she liked, and not make her unhappy in any way because she was a baby."
And then the youth lady would kick into her active listening skills and be like, "Oh yeah, that sounds stressful, and yuck, I wouldn't like that situation - that's a lot of pressure for a 6-year-old."
And then May would be all like, "Oh, yeah, and also it turned out that what she LIKED was biting. Me. On the leg."
And then our youth worker would look all horrified and so may wouldn't go on about how after that vacation, she didn't see them except for short times like at restaurants over the summer...
...until they came back to visit for three weeks last year, and May was 16 and her cousin was 12, but NOTHING had changed.
Well, except for literal biting.
And her mom and dad were all like, "Hey, you remember your cousin? You guys will be good friend," and pushed her towards her.
And whenever they bump her towards anyone, she thinks it must be akin to a poisonous snake because her cousin was older but just as spoiled and just as happy to torment her.
So, in conclusion, no, we do not want to welcome anyone we don't already know.

I looked up. The youth lady had moved on. May's mask was perfectly intact, even perhaps with a hint of a smile. May's face looked controlled but blissfully free of care, and she nodded at our youth lady understandingly.

(about 8 mins, had to get that out of me. bleh.)

Return to “The Hall of Gifts”