Suicide Squad

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

wayfriend

Suicide Squad

Post by wayfriend »

Hey comic fans:

This trailer left me completely confused. Are we expecting the Joker to be a "good guy" in this one?

I do hear that if you like Harley Quinn you will be very happy with this trailer.

(Click the pic, Rick.)
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The Joker falls into that certain category of characters who can never qualify as "the good guy", merely sometimes "the protagonist". There is no logical scenario under which Amanda Waller, for all her talents, can ever motivate the Joker to do what she wants. Even if you put an explosive charge in his skull he may disobey you just to see if you really will push the button or if his weird luck hits and the charge is a dud--he doesn't fear death. Putting him on the Squad is merely fan service--I fully expect the Joker to somehow betray them to pursue his own goals...but since we are talking about him what I expect is not what is going to happen. Still, he will be a team player only so long as it suits his whims. He is far too uncontrollable and untrustworthy.

Truthfully, I don't even like the character of Harley Quinn. What does she bring to the table other than a nice set of legs?

The first trailer is interesting but I am still doubtful on this one. The only characters who are certain to survive will be Deadshot (Will Smith is too big an actor to kill off), Harley (the fanboiz will cry if she dies), Joker (again, the fanboiz will cry if he dies and DC will never let him permanently die) and Amanda Waller herself--everyone else's fate is a spin on the roulette wheel.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Exactly as Hashi says.

I wish there was even a tiny bit of info in the trailer. Who are they up against?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I forgot about Katana--I like her. I hope she makes it through.

I just checked IMDB and they are being very sneaky with it--there are two actors whose characters are not named. Apparently even the names of the characters would spoil the plot.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've never known Katana as a villain. I only knew her from Batman and the Outsiders.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Technically, the Squad isn't always villains only and being assigned to the Squad can be for military reasons (Col. Flagg) or because a particular set of skills are needed.

One version of the Squad they used from Arrow was Diggle and his wife Layla, Deadshot, and Cupid.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the movie should be awesome. and Katana makes sense as she is a killer.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Months have gone by and we haven't updated this thread. The latest trailer came out only a couple of days ago and gives us a little more interaction among the team members.

I still can't tell how this movie will play out. Worst-case scenario: it winds up being like Wolverine Origins, a "what the hell were they thinking?" movie. Best-case scenario: it winds up being a Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-ish hit.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The film's recently gone back for some of the most extensive reshoots ever, amid rumours they're trying to make the film more fun after the backlash against BvS's grimness. That rumour doesn't really give me hope.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Despite the fact that I am a fan of superhero films, in general I find the group "fans of superhero films" to be one of the whiniest, most childish, and snobbiest groups who regularly visit the Internet. If the movie doesn't meet their very narrow expectations, isn't like such-and-such graphic novel from 15 years ago, or doesn't follow their pet story plot-item-per-plot item then they go apoplectic and ragequit. Watchmen wasn't that bad. MoS wasn't that bad. BvS wasn't that bad. The first Fantastic Four movie (the one with Ioan Gruffyd and Michael Chiklis) wasn't that bad...except for casting Jessica Alba as Susan Storm-Richards (she wasn't the right actress for the role).

If they are trying to lighten the mood in SS, though, then that is the correct thing to do. They should be aiming for GotG rather than Sin City.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It was the critics, more than the superhero fans, who were hating on BvS.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

For some reason I don't have a lot of interest in this film. The idea of gathering rogues to accomplish something positive is not an original concept but on paper this ought to be pretty cool.
Something about what I am seeing in the trailer doesn't seem to click with me but I am hopefull the film will surprise me and it will end up being memorable.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Watchmen wasn't that bad.
True.
MoS wasn't that bad.
True again.

BvS wasn't that bad.
False. BvS was total garbage.
The first Fantastic Four movie (the one with Ioan Gruffyd and Michael Chiklis) wasn't that bad..

True, but....
...except for casting Jessica Alba as Susan Storm-Richards (she wasn't the right actress for the role)
Jessica Alba is right for everything.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

dlbpharmd wrote:
...except for casting Jessica Alba as Susan Storm-Richards (she wasn't the right actress for the role)
Jessica Alba is right for everything.
Almost everything. I liked her roles in Sin City and Machete but it is a shame that RR decided to kill her in Machete Kills. I guess he isn't going to make Machete Kills Again...In Space, though.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Really like the look of the trailer: didn't feel to dark in tone to me at all. I think A GotG makeover would be a mistake - I think it would be a rare thing for a directors instinctive feel as to how a film should be made to be overridden, and for improvements to be made thereby. One problem might however be in the shortfall between the directors vision and what he is able to commit to celluloid (do they still use celluloid?): Was it Fellini who referred to the three times a film was 'murdered', this being the first of them.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I'm struggling to become interested in the movie. It's mainly due to the way it's being advertised, Harley Quinn being an utter bore for me, and Leto's Joker looking and sounding ridiculous. I passed on BvsS, so I'll likely pass on this.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Whatever negative impression I received from the trailers seems to have at least some validity in that the film is getting poor reviews from the critics who watched advanced screenings.
However my interest hasn't been influenced one way or the other. I will definitely see SS I just don't know if it will be in a theater or not.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Considering just how far off-target (IMO) the appraisal of BvS was, I don't place all-that-much stock into SS's being any more reflective of the reality.

---------------------------------------

Suicide Squad director shrugs off film's negative reviews
The director of comic book film Suicide Squad has shrugged off its bad reviews, saying he "made it for the fans".

"I love the movie and believe in it," David Ayer wrote on Twitter, calling it the "best experience of my life".

Several critics have slammed the movie, with Screen Daily bashing its "mediocre storytelling... reliance on ghastly CGI and overblown stylistic flourishes".

Yet the film - about villains forced to fight for good - got more love from Empire, who called it "a real hoot".

[...]
---------------------------------------

Suicide Squad: DC fans petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes over critical reviews
The negative reviews rolling in for Suicide Squad have some DC Comics fans upset -- but not about the movie. Instead, a small but outspoken group is going after Rotten Tomatoes, a site that aggregates movie reviews.

One enterprising fan -- Abdullah Coldwater of Alexandria, Egypt -- launched a Change.org petition to shutter Rotten Tomatoes due to its lackluster ratings on movies in DC's wheelhouse. The petition accuses the site of giving "unjust bad reviews ... that affects people's opinion even if it's a really great [movie]." The petition has received about 3,800 signatures as of this posting.

Rotten Tomatoes, which tallies the percentage of reviews that are deemed positive, currently shows a meager 36 percent positive rating for Suicide Squad, based on 64 reviews, while this spring's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice settled at 27 percent on 344 critiques. To compare, Marvel's Captain America: Civil War garnered a laudatory 90 percent with 320 critics chiming in.

[...]

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Geez. It's not RT's fault, they're just reporting the aggregate. It's the fault of the screenwriters and directors who consistently turn out shit for DC movies.

However, there is hope:

variety.com/2016/film/news/geoff-johns-promoted-president-of-dc-entertainment-1201824871/
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

What is the point of the movie? What is the story line?
Who is the enemy? What's the point?
All I've seen is the trailers and it just looks like....no idea, a mess.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Flicks”