DT2: The Drawing of Three

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

DT2: The Drawing of Three

Post by Zarathustra »

I'm about 100 pages in. This is much better than DT1. It's like night and day, hardly even the same story. I'd read this book decades ago, but forgotten how good it is. The interplay between the two worlds/characters (Roland/Eddie) is some crazy shit! Page-turning fun.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I didn't continue Dark Tower after this book... which is strange, because as you note, this is one of King's strongest books with some of the best writing, plot, and action.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

A good book, but not one of my favourites of the series.
Spoiler
Detta/Odetta
--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Just finished today. I have to say this is the first King book for which I have no complaints. Nothing. The pacing was perfect. The characters and their dilemmas were awesome. I love how everything builds to a climax from several different directions. I love Roland's final adventure/shootout in our world. And the serial killer who connects all this was fascinating.

I'm not saying this is the best King book I've read (that would Insomnia, so far), but it's up there in the top 3. Maybe top 2. It's not nearly as epic as The Stand or It, but that might actually be its strength. I had no complaints because there was no filler. This thing moved and moved, keeping me up too late at night, making me unwilling to put it down.

These are characters I want to spend some time with. By the end of this, I feel like they've gone through transformations that takes Donaldson three or four books to achieve. In fact, it feels very 'Donaldsonian.'

I don't remember much from my first time reading this (must have been late 80s). A beach, some doors, and Roland thinking that some guy handled himself well in a fight--especially given the fact that he was naked, which Roland thought was difficult to pull off. That's it. I don't know why I didn't remember more, or why it didn't come back to me as I read this time, but most of this was a big surprise. It did feel familiar, however, which was cool. In fact, I think some of this seeped into my subconsciousness and affected my own writing to an extent. Very familiar.

Post by Avatar »

I think I may actually prefer the next book to this one, but it may have been that I read II so many times that I got tired of it.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I never liked this one, can't really remember why. Guess I'll have to re-read it.

The next book is awesome; the one after that is one of King's best.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I really liked the narrative technique of the doors. Roland was not only going into an alien world (well, alien to him), but into the minds of the Three. So you get the freaky interaction that is almost like possession (strange how that the moral quandary of possession never comes up), but also Roland's perspective of our world, our times, our technology. His insights were at times quite profound. So we're seeing our world through Roland's eyes while he's inside someone else's eyes! Not only is the complexity of that view amazing, but how King tells a coherent, engaging story while juggling these perspectives is evidence of a powerful imagination of a masterful story-teller.

I've started the next book, and it's already great, too.

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, the next two are probably my favourites of the whole series.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

According to the chart you're following, Z, where does 'Salem's Lot fit in? I'm pretty sure you want to read it right before DT5.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Menolly, I read SL decades ago, and then again last year.

Thanks for looking out for me!

Post by Avatar »

Narratively it doesn't matter when you read it, as long as it is before DT5, since stuff from there appears in DT5.

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”