Lord foul the despiser

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

Phillip
Servant of the Land

Lord foul the despiser

Post by Phillip »

upload imagem[/img

Lord Foul from the Power That Preserves. Its a strange image this one, yes the composition if off... way off, however stare into those big eyes >:) .
Phillip
Servant of the Land

Post by Phillip »

picture share[/img]

Well this was the tester.. Made using blender and substance painter
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I like your Lord Foul, especially the smoky second one. Is that a hint of a smile I see through the smoke? That certainly fits with my image of him.

Just a thought, but for me Foul's Creche should be limned with light, perfect and shadowless except of course for the roach at the certain of it all, Lord Foul.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Phillip
Servant of the Land

Post by Phillip »

Cheers for the feedback shadow, yea i messed up the Creche at the time the angle i was going for was kinda smog from Foul and the stone but instead it just looks bit of a mess.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Nice Work Phillip, being a creator is hard work, its hard for me to decide if working with 3d programs or drawing something straight from scratch is harder..both take large amounts of time to get right, one of the reasons i have not been able to get back to making scenes due to the amount of time it consumes. keep it up. the Illearth stone and the smoke effects are great. very much how i pictured the stone while in action.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Phillip, I admire the Illearth Stone here. I have to admit Foul is a too off-cannon for my taste. (By which I mean, its well done, but I cannot get passed that it doesn't look like Foul to me, which is my issue not yours.)

Let me ask you about the eyes.
In [i]The Power That Preserves[/i] was wrote:He had eyes like fangs, carious and yellow—fangs so vehement in malice that they froze Foamfollower's voice,
Do you think that Donaldson intended here for Foul's eyes to literally look like fangs? People often do, and so expect some sort of dagger-shaped pupil.

However, another way to read this is metaphorical: that Foul's eyes are hungry and dangerous. Donaldson often poetically implies descriptions by comparing things with seemingly disparate other things. "Beard like a fist," "grin like a contortion," "Silence like a sword," or "Aiming himself like a quarrel."

What's your stance?
Phillip
Servant of the Land

Post by Phillip »

Thanks guys besides facebook this is the only site that i am posting pictures, your feed back will allow me to fix them before i share with the wider community at the end of the year. I put down the last book only few months ago and at the start of the year i had never read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. So yea im bit of a newbie.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Hmm, yes, the Illearth Stone radiates the sheer essence of foulness, so don't change that. ;)
However, Foul's appearance... Might be just me, but I've imagined him more physically imposing, looming and gloating above Covenant in sweeping robes, and he did indeed resemble the evil twin of Zeus in TPTP. So, mayhap try more of a Greek god -ish flare? :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yes, Phillip, one's impressions on a first read are not always true to the author's vision ... and that's okay. Your mind creates an image when you read that works for you, and you cling to it ... soon you prefer it, even if it's not what other people see. As an artist, you are free to call that your interpretation.

FroGru speaks of this:
In [i]The Power That Preserves[/i] was wrote:By faint degrees, he became material, drifted from corporeal absence to presence. Perfectly molded limbs, as pure as alabaster, grew slowly visible-an old, grand, leonine head, magisterially crowned and bearded with flowing white hair-an enrobed, dignified trunk, broad and solid with strength. Only his eyes showed no change, no stern, impressive surge of incarnation; they lashed constantly at Covenant like fangs wet with venom.
However, since we are waxing critical ... this incarnation of Foul did not occur until he was pushed away from the Illearth Stone and was fairly beaten down by Covenant. While he was the master of the Stone, he looked more this way:
In [i]The Power That Preserves[/i] was wrote:He located the Despiser more by tactile impression than by sight. Lord Foul was essentially invisible, though he cast an impenetrable blankness in the air like the erect shadow of a man-a shadow of absence rather than presence which showed where he would have been if he had been physically corporeal-and around the shadow shone a penumbra of glistering green. From within it, he reeked of attar.

[...] As soon as the creatures had departed, the Despiser turned toward him for the first time. When the gleaming green penumbra had shifted itself to face him, he saw the Despiser's eyes. They were the only part of Lord Foul that was visible within his aura.

He had eyes like fangs, carious and yellow - fangs so vehement in malice that they froze Foamfollower's voice, gagging him on the encouragement he had tried to shout for Covenant's sake.
Anyway ... at least come away with an understanding that people will see your Foul and consider it unusual. (But not the most unusual ... for example: l ink)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

wayfriend wrote: FroGru speaks
"Frosty" will suffice, thank you. ;) Fuzzpaws can attest that my voice may turn croaky after a long reading session, however I refuse to believe I sound akin to a FroG. Withal, the Ironhand does, especially when she attempts to sing through excess fumes of diamondraught.

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”