Anything but WoW?

Social forum games, both light-hearted and serious.
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Anything but WoW?

Post by Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg »

You ner--people should check out LegendMud (shameless plug). I'll assume anyone who has read the Covenant books is old enough to know what a MUD is.

This one is based on history and myth, and is ridiculously hand-built and unique, with almost all (or all) of the areas being written by pretentious grad students who put grad student levels of research into their area, because apparently their dissertations didn't take up enough of their time.

For example, in the Dartmoor area there is a mob called Moran the giant, and there is an old(ancient?) tale of said giant, in real life Dartmoor, but apparently you have to have almost been born there to know it, and the writer wasn't born there. Doubt he actually went there either.

All that being said, the original creator of Legend went on to found an early (the first?) MMO, and a lot of themes/mechanics/etc inherent in basically all MMOs come from Legend.

In particular, a lot of the emotes and moods (speech patterns) you see in MMOs are straight up 100% ripped out of Legend.

So yeah, came here to write something about Dragons Dogma, but this just slipped out. 8O
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Re: Anything but WoW?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:You ner--people should check out LegendMud (shameless plug). I'll assume anyone who has read the Covenant books is old enough to know what a MUD is.
Yup for me... I've been addic--er, spent a fair amount of time playing one or two muds awhile back!

Do you currently play LegendMud?
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:This one is based on history and myth, and is ridiculously hand-built and unique, with almost all (or all) of the areas being written by pretentious grad students who put grad student levels of research into their area, because apparently their dissertations didn't take up enough of their time.

For example, in the Dartmoor area there is a mob called Moran the giant, and there is an old(ancient?) tale of said giant, in real life Dartmoor, but apparently you have to have almost been born there to know it, and the writer wasn't born there. Doubt he actually went there either.
Ahahah... that is a great description!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

No MMO's, no MUD's. Just GT. :D

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I haven't played MUDs in years, though there were a few I played that are actually still around in one form or another. Haven't really played many MMOs besides WoW either - who has time? We (my guild) did get into WildStar when it first came out - formed a guild and did some stuff and then went back to WoW. It was fun, and they had some neat ideas (some of which have been stol-- borrowed by WoW now) - but at the end of the day it was very similar. Then again, I only got a character to level 20-something, so I can't say what the endgame had to offer.

And someone here tried to get me into Star Trek Online, which I was literally unable to get into due to patching issues, and that's probably for the better.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Return to “Forum Games”