Dolph Ubikwe [Spoilers]

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

[See, it's long posts like what I've made in this thread that make me not feel bad that I "spam Mallorys" to drive up my post count. I figure it all balances out. :goodnevil: :wink: ]
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

When Angus takes Dolph towards his cabin, he experiences fearful misgivings about just locking Captain Ubikwe away. For the first time in the Gap Cycle, we see Dolph interacting with someone in a scene in which Min Donner is not present.
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:"All right, fat man," he announced. "that's far enough. I've changed my mind."

Dolph Ubikwe turned slowly, his eyes wary. In a deep voice, he grumbled, "You've got a hell of a nerve calling me fat."

Angus grinned; slapped his belly with a lunatic show of good humor. "This isn't fat. It's brains. I think with my guts. That's why I'm still alive."

The captain snorted. "Are you sure you've changed your mind? Maybe it's just indigestion."

Angus shook his head. "I don't trust you, fat man. Sitting with you in your cabin to keep you out of trouble sounds good in theory. In practice it has a couple of problems."

Dolph cocked an eyebrow; waited for Angus to go on.

Dishonestly cheerful, Angus explained, "As far as I'm concerned, you're the most dangerous man aboard. I'm not worried about the high-and-mighty Min Donner. She has her own reasons for letting Morn take over. Hell, she's wearing them like a shipsuit, she can't hide anything." He dismissed the ED director with a shrug. "Besides, Morn can handle her."

"But you don't think you can handle me?" Captain Ubikwe drawled.

Angus grinned again. "I know you, fat man. This is your ship. Giving up command isn't easy. Not for you. I think you don't give a good shit what Director Donner orders you to do. I think you're already plotting to get your ship back."

Dolph made a show of incredulity. "Like how?"

"I don't know," Angus sneered. "Maybe you've got an intercom pickup hidden in your san. Maybe you can fart in code, tell your people to mutiny without saying a word." He laughed humorlessly, a manic amusement which bordered on gaiety. "It might be fun to watch you, see how you do it. But there's another problem."

"Somehow," Dolph growled, "I know you're going to tell me what that is."

"Damn right I am." Anger and fear he couldn't express frayed the edges of Angus' tone. "We're in command at the moment," Morn and Davies and Vector held the bridge, "but that doesn't change the fact that this whole exercise is a deathtrap. You fucking cops want us dead. Even if you think you don't, you will. And there's just too goddamn many of you.

"We need a back door," he pronounced, "a way out."

Dolph didn't react. He simply stared at Angus as if he thought the illegal had lost his mind.

"Morn doesn't worry about things like that," Angus gathered sarcasm in place of fear as he went along. "Which is why she's tough enough to handle your Min Donner. When she goes, she goes all the way.

"But I don't like it. It makes my stomach hurt."

"Get to the point," Captain Ubikwe said darkly. "I don't like standing here."

Angus bared his teeth. "You don't really want to go sit in your cabin." His tone was poisonously sweet. "If you can't start a mutiny, you'll just feel sorry for yourself. So instead I'll let you come with me. Help me invent a way out."

"What if I say no?" Dolph countered. "What if I like feeling sorry for myself?"

"You don't want to do that," Angus promised. "For one thing, I'll have to tie you up, drag you along--and that's so undignified. And for another"--he spread his hands--"you won't find out what my back door is."

Dolph studied Angus speculatively. "Do you really think you can tie me up and drag me?" he asked.

"I'm a goddamn cyborg, fat man," Angus rasped. "You've already seen my lasers. And I've got plenty of other enhancements." His reinforced muscles and microprocessor reflexes made him more than a match for the captain. "Of course I can do it.

"But I would rather have help." Abruptly he scowled as if he were making a concession. "Who knows? You and your queen of muscle might end up needing a way out as much as I do."

Captain Ubikwe considered for a moment. Fury he couldn't afford to express compressed his lips, tightened his fleshy cheeks. "Since you put it that way," he rumbled finally, "I'll go along. For a while, anyway. It'll be interesting to see how you plan to betray your friends."
Dolph's response accusing Angus of planning betrayal infuriates Angus, because Angus starts remembering all his grievances against the UMCP.

But Angus stifles his reaction (something he's getting better at by this point in the story), so that he can get Dolph's cooperation in working on fixing the gap drives of Trumpet that Ciro damaged.

Ciro is called in to the task to explain what he did, and Angus teaches Ciro how to set off singularity grenades.

This disgusts Captain Ubikwe at first, then he comes to see that it gives the cops cover for bringing Morn to testify on Earth without it being obvious to Holt that they're actually fulfilling Warden's wishes.

It becomes the start of Dolph and Angus beginning to see that they're both on the same side, after all.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Dolph will still have a moment or two of righteous moral indignation as the Gap story continues, especially when Min recounts for him the truth of Angus being framed so that Holt Fasner could get the Preempt Act passed.

But when Angus puts forth his plan for rescuing Warden from the Amnion under pretense of surrendering Davies and Vector, and Dolph finds out he can be in command again, Captain Ubikwe seems to get a lot happier. Even though he's only piloting Punisher's command module with Trumpet in tow, and not commanding all of Punisher, he's very satisfied to be back in his element and taking charge.
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:From the simpler, cleaner perspective of the command module, Dolph saw that Min was doing the right thing. By her own standards, so was Morn. The decision which both Vector and Davies had made to surrender themselves showed a kind of courage which left Dolph in awe. And that damn cyborg, Angus Thermopyle--

Angus was doing the right thing absolutely.

While they'd repaired Trumpet's drives together, Angus had revealed quite a bit about how his mind worked. Apparently he had a talent for desperation, an instinct for extreme solutions, which Dolph couldn't help admiring. When Angus explained how he proposed to rescue Warden, Punisher's captain had been the first to approve.

Despite the danger, Dolph Ubikwe was positively delighted to offer that malign, welded rapist and butcher all the support he could.

Now he ran helm, scan, data, and communications--the only functions the module still possessed--from his board alone. He didn't need help. All the other stations had been shut down. The module was no more than a shuttle; almost a cripple. But her commander had no complaint. Small as she was, this vessel was his. Angus had given him that, and he was satisfied.

Perhaps Angus had recognized the piratical nature of Dolph's approach to law enforcement. In a situation like this, the cyborg could trust Dolph completely.

When the last of his diagnostics showed green, Captain Ubikwe looked up at his companions and growled happily, "Christ on a crutch. If my dear, departed mother had known I was going to end up in a mess like this, she would have drowned me at birth. It's a good thing she couldn't see the future. One look at the entrails of a chicken would have sent her off her head. Then they probably would have had to tie her down to keep her from killing my father, too."

Neither Davies nor Vector laughed. They were in too much peril for jokes: if anything went wrong, they would be the first pay for it. Nevertheless the geneticist mustered up a wry smile. "If I may say so, Captain," he murmured, "your mother must have been a remarkable woman."

"Say what you like," Dolph allowed expansively, "There aren't any rules here. This is about as down-and-dirty as it gets. If you worry too much about being polite, you'll just wear yourself out."
Even the prospect of a dangerous approach to the Behemoth-class Amnion defensive doesn't dampen Dolph's spirits, so long as he can run things again! And the certainty he feels about the workability of Angus' plan probably has something to do with his cheerfulness, too.

I think this is the happiest we've seen Dolph, so far! :D
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

wayfriend wrote:
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:"All right, fat man," he announced. "That's far enough."
Possibly worth the entire cost of five books, reading that. Angus' nickname for Dolph is just so utterly perfect, capturing both Angus and Dolph in some sort of pure literary essence. You can hear it when you read it. And it's funny to boot.
It is funny in its irony, for Doiph points out that Angus isn't really slim, either. It's also amusing that it almost becomes a term of endearment from Angus as the story moves on.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Moving ahead in the story: Angus and Davies rescue Warden but lose Vector, and they fly back to Punisher's command module. Mikka in Trumpet (attached to the module) knows her brother Ciro is doomed in saving them all. With Ciro's self-sacrifice in setting off a singularity grenade, Calm Horizons is destroyed. Dolph, Angus, Davies, Warden, and Mikka are knocked unconscious by the fast exit from the vicinity. Angus is the first to wake up.
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:It lasted longer than he would have believed possible. Parts of it were still with him when Captain Ubikwe abruptly jerked against his belts, blinked his g-stressed eyes, and peered urgently at his command readouts.

"Welcome back, fat man," Angus drawled. "You've all been out so long I might have thought you were dead. If I hadn't heard you breathing."

Dolph flinched a look toward the communications station. His heavy mouth hung open, but he couldn't swallow enough moisture to speak.

Piqued by an unfamiliar sense of affection, Angus added, "You snore, you know that? In fact you're pretty damn good at it. On a scale of ten you rate at least eleven."

Dolph's throat worked for a moment. At last he choked out, "How long--?"

"Only about four minutes," Angus answered. "You can relax. We aren't in any trouble." He bared his teeth in a predator's smile. "But you missed the good part."

Punisher's captain frowned in confusion. "The good part?"

Angus gestured at the displays. "Calm Horizons doesn't exist anymore. She fell into a black hole. Then I guess the black hole fell into itself." He spread his arms expansively, stretched the muscles of his back until his spine popped. "I think this means we won, fat man."

With an effort Captain Ubikwe consulted readouts again. Slowly he seemed to gather strength from his board; the screens; Punisher's familiar bridge. Data and circumstances he understood restored him like a transfusion.

He looked at Davies and Dios log enough to reassure himself that they were alive. Then he asked, "What about Mikka?"

Angus shrugged. "If she's awake, she hasn't said anything. Since we survived, I assume she did, too." He was obliquely worried about Mikka himself. In another minute or two the man he'd become would feel compelled to go check on her. "But we're safe enough," he continued. "We don't need Trumpet's thrust. We can coast like this for quite a while before we need to worry about anything."

Dolph considered the situation. "Well, by damn," he muttered. His voice began to emerge from his chest more easily. "That's amazing. Utterly--"

By degrees his mouth spread into a wide grin. "Of course," he told Angus, "I had complete confidence. You have that effect on people. You can't help it. It just happens. Automatic trust. Sort of like snoring, only less benign.

"I don't know what Min's going to do about you." His eyes glittered humorously. "She'll have to do something. You're probably too dangerous to live. But if she decides to terminate you, I'm going to make sure you get a commendation before you die. That's a promise." He held up his hands as if to ward off thanks. "Anybody who accomplishes what you just did should have a commendation nailed to him somewhere, even if it has to be on your coffin instead of your chest."

"How nice," Angus growled in the same spirit. "I wish I could tell you how good that makes me feel. But it doesn't. I'm so pleased I could puke."

Because he knew Dolph was joking, he didn't mention that he was prepared to fight for his right to go on living.

The captain replied with a relaxed chuckle. "I know what you mean. Sometimes I think they really do nail those commendations into you. Drive them right through your heart. Some people never recover."
"Fat man" coming from Angus is definitely more of a tease than an insult by the time Angus' mission to Calm Horizons has succeeded.

While it's unclear what everybody's fate is going to be from here on out, it seems easy to share Dolph's confidence that the worst is over.

Dolph's very willing to set aside all the frustrations he's endured now that they've removed the alien threat to Earth, and be jovial. "'But if she decides to terminate you, I'm going to make sure you get a commendation before you die. That's a promise.' He held up his hands as if to ward off thanks." Funny. :lol:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

And perhaps a nod toward the changed perspective of Angus... "Some people never recover." Obligation imposed by expectation.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:And perhaps a nod toward the changed perspective of Angus... "Some people never recover." Obligation imposed by expectation.
There is something to that, Avatar! Angus feels more obliged to Warden the more Warden keeps his promises. |W So much so that when Warden speaks of he and Angus going after Holt, Dios must spend more time & energy convincing Dolph than convincing Angus! And Dolph fights against Warden's assertions with a curious mix of frustrated loyalty and frustrated insubordination.
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:"Director--" Dolph rumbled uncertainly. He pointed at the communications blips on his board. "I have to answer these. They're getting frantic."

"No!" Dios snapped at once. "Don't answer them. That's my last order for you."

His voice had teeth: it could bit and tear when he let it.

"Min can stand the wait," he went on. "And she can certainly deal with UMCPHQ. I don't want you to say a word to either of them until Angus and I leave."

"Leave?" Angus drawled. "I like the sound of that. Where are we going?"

A dark scowl closed Dolph's face. "Director--" he began again. "I'm a UMCP officer. It's my duty to report."

Warden shook his head. "Of course. But not yet.

"Listen to me, Dolph. This is important." He held himself still while intensity poured off him in waves. Yet his physical restraint only increased the force of what he said. "I want you to take Davies and Mikka to UMCPHQ. And protect them. Make sure Min understands I want them protected. Just in case the Council suffers a spasm of self-righteousness and decides to punish somebody.

"If I can persuade him to join me, Angus and I will use Trumpet to go visit Holt." He permitted himself a stiff shrug. "You can talk to Min as soon as I'm gone."

Angus felt a sting of surprise. Persuade? he wondered. Persuade him? To go visit Holt? Did Warden mean that? Or was persuade just a polite word for coerce?

Captain Ubikwe stared at the man he'd served ever since he became a cop. "My God, Director," he protested, "that doesn't make any sense. You should talk to her yourself. Holt is finished. You can forget about him. You should--"

"No." Dios spoke softly now, but his tone implied a shout. "Koina told the Council everything. Every crime I've helped commit--everything that makes you wonder whether you can trust me. I'm tainted, Dolph. I'm complicit in Holt's crimes. As much responsible for them as he is. Even if the Council decided to pardon me, I would consider myself responsible.

"If Min does her duty, her first action will be to place me under arrest for treason. She'll order you to make me her prisoner and take me to UMCPHQ. And that might break her heart. She still believes in me." He sounded certain. "I don't want to put that kind of pressure on her. If she does arrest me, the Members won't trust her. She'll be tainted, too."

He didn't mention that Dolph might find it painful to arrest the director of the UMCP. He didn't need to: the truth was plain on Dolph's face. He recognized the accuracy of Warden's prediction--and it horrified him.

Dios didn't give him time to respond. The director's vehemence mounted as he continued, "And Holt's still alive. That I guarantee. Most of HO is intact. You can see it on scan." He indicated the screens with a twitch of his head. "You can bet he made sure he was safe before he ordered that attack on Suka Bator. He is still alive.

"Worse than that, he still has most of his power. All his contacts and knowledge, databases, leverage--everything his real muscle is based on. He can probably ruin half the Members if they take action action against him. He can destroy the entire fiscal structure that supports us against forbidden space. Hell, if he wants to he can even sell the whole lot to the Amnion. You know he has ships and drones that weren't damaged. Right now there's nothing to stop him from packing his entire powerbase aboard that yacht and hitting the gap with it."

"Min's cordon will interdict--" Dolph croaked weakly.

For an instant Warden's control slipped. He punched one hard fist in the direction of the displays. Almost shouting, he retorted, "Those ships aren't in position."

Angus believed him; but he glanced at the helm schematic to confirm it. No question about it: a ship could flee untouched from the far side of Fasner's station.

Which suggested some interesting possibilities--

Dolph's heavy frame slumped. In dismay he murmured, "Do you really think he would sell all that?"

Dios closed his arms like restraints across his chest. "The Amnion can force-grow fetuses," he said through his teeth. "They can imprint minds. They can make him immortal. And they'll be glad to do it when they see what he has to sell. Yes, I think he might go that far.

"That's why I want you to let Angus and me go over there. Let us stop him. Permanently. Before he has time to commit a crime that's worse than anything else he's done."

More gently he concluded, "And I want you to do it without disobeying orders from the acting director. You shouldn't have that on your record. Which means you can't talk to her until after we're on our way."

Dolph propped his forehead on one hand to hide his eyes as if he couldn't bear to look at Warden anymore--or couldn't bear the way Warden looked at him. For a moment he didn't say anything. His shoulders knotted as he squeezed at his temples.

In a muffled voice he sighed. "You aren't coming back, are you"--a statement, not a question.

Dios gripped himself hard. "What would be the point?"

A sound like a buried groan leaked past Dolph's fingers. He didn't go on.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Angus believed him; but he glanced at the helm schematic to confirm it. No question about it: a ship could flee untouched from the far side of Fasner's station. Which suggested some interesting possibilities--

Of course, it's not all feelings of obligation to Warden that's driving Angus. I believe that here he's already thinking about possessing Holt's ship for himself.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

It's interesting that once Warden persuades Angus, Angus immediately focuses on Dolph--to help persuade the captain for Warden.
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:"Fine," Angus snorted. He couldn't wait any longer: he wanted to know where he stood. "Let's pretend everything you say is reasonable. And sane. Here's my question.

"How do you propose to 'persuade' me to go along with you?'

Slowly the director turned his g-seat so that he could look straight at Angus.

"You need me, that's obvious," Angus stated. "If Fasner's still alive, then he still has defenses. You won't have an easy time tackling him alone.

"But why should I bother?" The first time Warden had talked to him, at the start of his mission to rescue Morn, Angus had hardly been able to meet the man's piercing, augmented gaze. Now he held it easily. The more honest Warden became, the less Angus feared him. "Are you planning to threaten me with some kind of self-destruct? Some code that'll fry my brain, or scramble my instruction-sets, or short-circuit my datacore? I'm sure you can do it. Hashi fucking Lebwohl wouldn't miss a chance to hardwire me with something that nasty."

Dios didn't look away. "No," he said flatly, "I'm not going to threaten you. I'm through extorting the kind of help I need."

Then his voice showed its teeth. "You'll go with me because I'm taking Trumpet. You'll have to kill me to stop me. You may even have to kill Dolph." He flicked a glance at Dolph, but didn't wait for the captain to say anything. "And once I leave, you're stuck. You'll end up in custody on UMCPHQ. Unless you force Min to open fire on you. In which case Davies and Mikka will die with you.

"Either way, I don't think you'll like it much."

Angus faced him with a feral grin. "Or," he countered, "I could go with you part of the way and then kill you. I want a ship of my own. Trumpet suits me pretty well."

Even then Warden didn't look away. He'd been staring at the consequences of his own actions for so long that nothing could make him flinch. "I'll take that chance."

Angus sighed inwardly, where it didn't show. For no good reason except that the director had finally begun to keep his promises, Angus believed him. Min Donner was right: Dios was trying to make restitution.

Still grinning, Angus shifted his attention to Captain Ubikwe. "There's something he hasn't told you, fat man. Vestabule gave him a mutagen."

That hit Dolph hard. He snatched down his hand, jerked up his head. His eyes flared dumb anguish at Warden.

"It's the same kind Sorus Chatelaine used on Ciro," Angus explained harshly. "He'll stay human as long as he takes the drug to keep it passive. Which he has in his pocket. A few pills--a few hours."

Dolph tried to ask a question, but he couldn't make his throat work.

Post by Avatar »

Cord Hurn wrote:Of course, it's not all feelings of obligation to Warden that's driving Angus. I believe that here he's already thinking about possessing Holt's ship for himself.
Of course. But I suspect most of that is purely to justify to himself the decision he already made to help him. :D

Treat people as though there is no question but that they will do the right thing and they become much more likely to do so.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Dolph still needs convincing, both because he doesn't want to send Warden out to die, and because he doesn't want to throw his career in the trash. So Angus continues to argue on Warden's behalf.
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:"So it's really worse than it looks," Angus went on. "If you take him back to UMCPHQ, you can cure him. Lebwohl's antimutagen will do it. Then you can execute him for treason. Or you can let him go after Fasner. Let him finish himself off.

"The way I see it, he's tainted in more ways than one. He's been a cop too long. He's finally realized the same rules he kills other people for breaking should apply to him, too.

"I'm starting to like that about you," he remarked to Dios.

Then he told Dolph, "I don't think your acting director is going to thank you for bringing him in. She won't want to watch what happens to him."

For a moment Dolph seemed to stagger on the brink of a personal precipice, fighting for balance. Despite his insubordinate nature, he'd served Warden Dios--and Min Donner--with his life. But now all ordinary definitions of fidelity appeared to fail him. He looked as lost as Angus had ever felt in an EVA suit as he confronted his choices and tried not to fall--

By degrees he slumped forward until only his elbows kept him off the command board. Bowing his head, he muttered, "Oh, well. I should have known this was all too easy. You're a hard man, Warden. Sometimes I wonder why everybody who works for you doesn't commit seppuku."

He nodded toward the open airlock and Trumpet. "If worse comes to worst, I can always say you were gone before I woke up. When sickbay's done with her, Davies can bring Mikka over here. I'll release the grapples as soon as we seal the locks."

Softly he ended, "Warden Dios, you owe me for this."

Dios nodded. A film of moisture blurred his human eye. He had to swallow a couple of times before he could say, "I'll pay."

But he didn't allow himself time for emotion. He may have feared that his self-command could break. At once he asked, "Angus?"

"Shit," Angus growled cheerfully, "I can't miss this. I've done all kinds of hunting, but I've never gone after a dragon."
A very hard call for Dolph, but we all know now it was the right call to make!
(Maybe Angus missed his calling, and should have been a lawyer.)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

When all the action is over, Captain Dolph Ubikwe receives his reward for "toughing it out".
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:"Further," [Councilmember Tel] Burnish continued, "we recommend Captain Dolph Ubikwe's appointment as Enforcement Division Director. His courage and dedication under all sorts of pressure is beyond question. And we respect his decision to let Warden Dios go to UMCHO. We think he should be honored for it."

Dolph muttered something the pickup missed. A huge grin stretched his dark face.
So what kind of Enforcement Director will Dolph Ubikwe make? His reaction earlier in the story, when Min Donner tells him the circumstances that got the Preempt Act passed, give us a clue.
In [i]This Day All Gods Die[/i] was wrote:Captain Ubikwe was the first to recover speech. "Let me get this straight." He scrubbed his palms over his eyes like a man trying to clear away a film of despair. As he found words, his dark rumble became a snarl of protest. "You gave her [Morn] to a man like this Succorso so he would help you betray Com-Mine Security?

"My God, Min! That's unconscionable! It's treason. I should haul you up on charges--I should arrest you right now!"
Oh yes, Director Ubikwe going to do really well at his new job! :mrgreen:

Post by Avatar »

Y'know, SRD could always do a second Gap series...somebody should suggest it to him. :D

(After a Killing Stroke series of course.)

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Y'know, SRD could always do a second Gap series...somebody should suggest it to him. :D

Avatar wrote:Treat people as though there is no question but that they will do the right thing and they become much more likely to do so.
I somehow feel like these statements are connected. 8O :) 8)
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote:Y'know, SRD could always do a second Gap series...somebody should suggest it to him. :D

--A
I've been saying that for years.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

I mean, there were like 3 Chrons... :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

--A
I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I think it's possible SRD doesn't want the long-term commitment of another series. But you never know, because inspiration can strike again and really compel an author to do another long work with little reservation!

Post by Avatar »

Hell, he's working on a new trilogy right now...another Gap series could also just be a few books... :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Hell, he's working on a new trilogy right now...another Gap series could also just be a few books... :D

--A
He is?!? 8O Now THAT'S exciting news!! :nanaparty:

Well, who knows, then, another sci-fi outing could be in the works! :)

Post by Avatar »

Wait, what? You don't get the newsletter? Donaldson Mailing List

--A

Return to “The Gap Series”