Let There Be Light!

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Let There Be Light!

Post by peter »

In the biblical account of The Creation the first words we hear God say are "Let there be light", and if my reading of the Horizon program I saw last night is correct then the appearence of light in the nascent Universe is of equal significance. One physicist described the situation as follows, "The Big Bang was not the instant at which the Universe appeared; it was more the setting up of the conditions from which the Universe as we know it could develop. If you are looking for a point of Creation then the appearence of light is your significant place to start looking." [paraphrased as best as I can recall them]

And theres more [again if I recall correctly]. In the early Universe, hydrogen [the only element thus far formed] was evenly distributed throughout the three dimensional space and more to the point, the space was opaque! You couldn't have seen through it! Now again, if I've got this right, the hydrogen began to gather under the effect of gravity into clumps [we've all seen that very famous computer image of the earliest picture of the Universe taken - that one that shows very slight uneveness in the distribution of matter {or is it 'wrinkles' in the actual fabric of space-time}] and slowly stellar formation began to gather pace. Now this is where I get fuzzy, but IIRC at this point something began to happen to the matter on the peripheries of stars that involved the stripping away of electrons or something, and this process caused ever increasing in size 'bubbles' of transparency to propogate out from the central point of the stars like holes developing in an Edam Cheese [the mans analogy, not mine], untill there was no cheese left and voilá, the Universe was born!

Now thats a pretty scrappy description of what happened at this crucial point in Cosmological history and would earn me a swift box round the ear in any self-respecting physics classrom, but this is the Watch where such blathering is, while never encouraged, still tolerated, and I wonder - can anyone put some flesh on the bones of the above for me? Have I got it right in essence? What was happening down at the quantum level at the formation of these bubbles of transparency? What was causing the opaqueness that the transparency was expanding into? Or did I fall asleep and dream [TC like] the whole feckin lot!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

....and answer came there none! ;)

Just to clarify - this is about the point at which and manner in which light appeared at the dawn of creation. Light clearly propagated out in these 'bubbles' the man revered to, but propagated out through what? Apparently not darkness.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

and thus Pink Floyd said, let there be more light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFirg2wXcHo
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'll second that Sarge: sweetness and light (the gift of the bee to mankind)! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

If you are asking what I think you are asking...I haven't looked at it in a long time, didn't ever completely understand it [partly my brain limits, partly that the effect/outcome was known, but not the whole process. That might have changed by now. Maybe they know.]...
But this is my short amateur version/memory/understanding.
In the very beginning, it wasn't "dark" because there was no light...it was dark because everything was so hot and dense and so many free electrons, that a photon couldn't go very far before it hit something and got scattered/reabsorbed. Like a candle in a box. [not really...but still]---it isn't that there isn't any light, it's that the box prevents it from getting anywhere.

When things expanded/cooled down a bit, the loose electrons and protons made hydrogen. Once bound like that, the electron can only stop/scatter SOME photons, at specific wavelengths. Other wavelengths can travel, so it is no longer opaque. But it is still dark---because there are no stars or other sources radiating any of those wavelengths.

When sources form [however/whyever that happens...chaos, gravity and quantum fluctuations, oh my?!], you start getting ions again...but it is all so much farther apart, the light can get places.

Sorta, and IIRC what I never knew enough of to fully understand.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

peter wrote: Just to clarify - this is about the point at which and manner in which light appeared at the dawn of creation. Light clearly propagated out in these 'bubbles' the man revered to, but propagated out through what? Apparently not darkness.
Having not seen the Horizon programme I can only hazard a guess that the bubbles suggest formation of liquid spheres surrounded by surface tension.
The holes in the cheese may also suggest an analogy of space-time in a multi-verse, which is contained within the overall wheel of the cheese. A uniform shape, I think.

But here the analogy stops, unless, the wheel of cheese is sitting on the table of a cheesemaker. Which may possibly be sold, for sake of argument, to a caterer orginizing a cheese and wine party for the board and investers of a natural history museum.
The wheel of cheese is ultimately eaten, or, broken down and disperesed throughout the members of the party, who, each going their separate way also create a form of random dispersion. This random dispersion has a history, and so it must follow that if history serves a purpose then, given enough time and space in which to play out, each random dispersion will re-form, re-create, and re-shape the wheel of cheese.

I guess this means that the light is being propagated out through holes in the surface tension of the bubbles. I get the picture that the entire wheel of cheese is the light and the bubbles are therefore the multi-verse.

I wonder then if the bubbles are manufacturing the light or is the light manufacturing the bubbles?
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I briefly had a look on Wikipedia yesterday at the entries on the chronology of events in the universe and found that this notion of 'transparency' and an emergence from what physicists call 'the dark age' is all there to be found. Apparently this propagation of.......whatever.......is all tied up with a thing called 'decoupling'. As the man said - there appears to be more bang in the buck than in the bang itself! Looks like I've got some reading to do! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Well, I've decided to just be content with the way the whole light situation worked out, so I can get in some good reading when I feel like it!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Thats just making light of it! [ ;) ]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

peter wrote:Thats just making light of it! [ ;) ]
Speaking of making light of things [actually, even better, making light of no things.]:
As a consequence, even total darkness is filled with finite fluctuations of the electromagnetic field, representing the quantum ground state of light and radio waves. However, until now direct experimental proof of this basic phenomenon has been considered impossible.
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151002082311.htm
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

They are able to pulse lasers at a frequency of 10^15 HZ? That is insane...but must be related to that form of photography where they can slow down a light pulse and you can watch it slowly move over objects--an interesting effect.

So what do we take away from this? Even when a vacuum is "at rest" it isn't really at "rest", only that the energy fluctuations are small and average themselves out over time? There really isn't a such a thing as a ground state?

How do we tap into these energy fluctuations and draw power from them?
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

How do we tap into these energy fluctuations and draw power from them?
That was my first question. It seems to me that it is far too weak and diffuse in the naturally occurring environment [if nothingness is an environment...]
But underpinning our question is the fact that humanity has made its bones by exploiting the gap between what nature does and what nature allows, and creating the environment to use it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

hrm..."weak" and "diffuse" could lead to a network of nanofibers upon which these fluctuations are able to induce an electric current; as the fibers merge into larger fibers the cumulative current begins to add up to the point where detectable and usable current exists. That would lead to unlimited energy. I wonder if some of Tesla's work on beamed/decentralized power--or perhaps even his "negative resistor"--could apply here?
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Wasn't it a toss up in the early days whether large scale electricity provision would follow the Tesla model [direct current and induced or something?] or the system we ultimately finished up with - that designed by Edison. And isn't there still a significant oppinion that we chose the wrong system at the outset. If we hadn't matbe we might be better placed, or have even long progressed down the path you refer to Hashi.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Yes, there was a fight over which system to use and, yes, Edison's system won. Edison hated Tesla, primarily because Tesla was smarter and actually more creative/inventive than Edison. Edison also had friends in high places whereas Tesla did not; this is why the wrong choices were made.

Tesla was already successfully experimenting with "beamed" power while at Colorado Springs; this process has recently come under increased experimentation and I think you can buy "Tesla panels" for your house these days. Good times.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Damn it, I keep meaning to delve into Tesla...been meaning to for decades.
I really don't know much about him beyond the common stuff, like the Edison, electric chair, and death ray.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Does not Tesla have an SI unit named in his honour: Eddison never had one of those did he?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Yes, the "tesla" is the standard unit for the strength of a magnetic field; its measurements are [kilograms/(ampere*second^2)]. It essentially replaced the older unit of "gauss", named after the mathematician (and part-time physicist).

A couple of years ago a team at Los Alamos succeeded in breaking the 100 T barrier without having the magnets destroy themselves; in the video of the experiment you can hear the apparatus groan and whine as the magnetic field attains full strength. A regular MRI runs at about 20 - 30 T for comparison.

Precise and super-fast manipulation of magnetic fields will be the key to tapping in to more of our brain's potential, allowing us to activate neural circuits which otherwise would remain dormant for our entire lives. I, for one, would gladly don my rTMS helmet, turn it on, then go to sleep and allow the device to repair and renew all my mental circuits while I sleep, as well as activating new ones.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote: I, for one, would gladly don my rTMS helmet, turn it on,
Pretty sure I heard somewhere...heh, maybe it was from you...that you can make your own stimulator with parts from Radio Shack and instructions from youtube.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Yes, you probably can....and yes, I am probably the one that mentioned it. Sadly, I have never gotten around to tinkering on one. I have too many distractions going on right now to get into but perhaps in the coming year that might be something worth looking into.

Return to “The Loresraat”