The Man in the High Castle

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

The Man in the High Castle

Post by Cail »

Anyone watching this on Amazon? Based on the P.K. Dick book, it's an amazingly realized portrait of a dystopian nightmare.

Y'all should check it out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I am intrigued by the concept. However I have not watched yet as I am concerned that the larger issues will be sacrificed for a more intimate human drama. I am very interested in the speculative nature of the story in general but I fear I will be disappointed.

Consider the narrative differences between M. Night Shyamalan's Signs and say Independence Day. One story deals with an alien invasion from 10 feet away from the central characters while the other examines events from a much more elevated and far reaching point of view. Both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses but I obviously have a preference.

I will eventually take a look. From the previews the series appears to be high quality in any case.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

If for nothing else, the show's worth it for the beautiful cinematography and set design. The show is unbelievably dark, and stays incredibly true to the horror of the premise.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I meant to start a thread about this earlier but forgot to. We're 7 episodes in and engrossed. It is very dark indeed, and has been unpredictable, but still logical.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:I meant to start a thread about this earlier but forgot to. We're 7 episodes in and engrossed. It is very dark indeed, and has been unpredictable, but still logical.
It's unflinchingly dark, with several "holy shit" moments. It's such exceptional television that we're going to re-watch the 10 episodes starting tonight, just to soak in the atmosphere and see if we missed anything. I need to re-read the book too.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:I meant to start a thread about this earlier but forgot to. We're 7 episodes in and engrossed. It is very dark indeed, and has been unpredictable, but still logical.
It's unflinchingly dark, with several "holy shit" moments. It's such exceptional television that we're going to re-watch the 10 episodes starting tonight, just to soak in the atmosphere and see if we missed anything. I need to re-read the book too.
"Holy Shit" is right! I was stunned by the events of the 10th episode.
Spoiler
So, what's up with the Trade Minister? How did he transport himself to the alternate reality? Is he "The Man in the High Castle?" Or, is it Hitler?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Damifiknow. Gripping though, ain't it?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

If the source material is a Philip K. Dick book then know that reality as you see it is not what reality actually is. That was a common theme in his books--the world you see is an illusion, designed either to keep the protagonist from knowing what his true purpose is or to prevent the protagonist from knowing what is really going on.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:Damifiknow. Gripping though, ain't it?
Yes indeed!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I just started watching this and only have seen the first episode. The Holiday season, plus 2+ weeks in China really put a hamper on my TV watching over the last couple of months.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

damn - I had seen the previews and it did look intriguing.

Cail - based on your review I will picking up the first season when it is available. I love speculative fiction.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Just finished episode 7. This has quickly become a favorite
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We've finished the first 2 episodes of Season 2, and once again, I'm completely hooked.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I finished season 2 yesterday. I've enjoyed the show a lot, but it tends to drag things out a bit in the middle, and
Spoiler
I feel like they could have easily made the season 2 finale the end of the series. As it was, it felt like they were completing the main plot while still leaving hooks for another season, which made it less satisfying overall IMO.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I've finished season 3, can't wait for the next one. This show has surpassed my expectations, even though its connection to Dick's novel is tenuous at best.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I watched all 3 seasons this weekend and I loved it, very well done.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I really liked season 1, but when the man in the high castle was revealed, it was kind of a let-down for me. I think I watched the first episode of season 2, then let it slide. Maybe I should give it another shot.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson

Return to “TV Shows”