the Letters of John Strange

The place for fiction and poetry....

Moderators: deer of the dawn, Furls Fire

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

the Letters of John Strange

Post by sgt.null »

John Strange was a man who went through his early forties and had settled on destroying any prospect for a reasonable future and a reasonable family. He had no other means of handling pressure but to lock himself in a perpetual reverie of ecstasy; driven by acid rain and delusions of grandeur. He had passed all censorship, rationality and moral concerns that were morally bankrupt due to the utterly depraved indifference of wire mesh. It had all gone horribly wrong and continued to spiral as he tried to except control.

But that was show business folks!

The letter John Strange clutched was from John Strange! The networks were always to the rescue! They talked about a disturbing blend of toxic Blues and Opiate delirium! Now you know why, it was that all the best scenes were of the cutting time. Did they find this was controversial? So what! It was what made the fun to show!

John Strange; his hands were about the daisies in the window. He was said to be a hybrid. Did anyone think he was really annoying? One could have said that he was really worrying. A person would not laugh at it without a laugh track. The House was located at the beginning of the real.

I said it was about as funny as a shotgun wedding. You said shotgun, I said wedding shotgun not a wedding shotgun or a wedding shotgun.

John Strange, it seemed that it was a really good concept of those in time. And it was because only they knew what only what they had cut off of no pop culture references.

Do you know what always disturbed me, what was it about the show? It was in the way in which they constantly looked at the cards. I was told to understand that they lived and everything, but in reality it was the draft decision. When each break was three to four seconds in searching, it could be then they said literally. I think that it completely broke the immersion and joy that was to be included.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I'm sure I don't a bunch of this, but I think I like these expressions:
sarge wrote:that were morally bankrupt due to the utterly depraved indifference of wire mesh.
Not sure if I get it, but I'm thinking that the wire mesh is supposed to be the boundaries that are set on him.
sarge wrote:I said it was about as funny as a shotgun wedding.
Why have I never seen someone use this before? That is a great expression.
sarge wrote:John Strange was a man who went through his early forties and had settled on destroying any prospect for a reasonable future and a reasonable family.
Also, I think this is a great introduction. The reader is like, "okay, there's gonna be some cynical-sounding stuff in here."
Then the reader's eye catches "But that was show business, folks!" before finishing the first paragraph, and you're like, "yup."

Edit: fixed quote thingies.
Last edited by Linna Heartbooger on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Linna - thank you for reading and your comments.

wire mesh : metal is a recurring theme in my writings. tin man, robots, artificial life.

I have little natural empathy or sympathy. it i something I have to work on, a muted (metal) state is most natural for me.

shotgun wedding is an old phrase. the Breeders use it in Driving On Nine. here it is for you, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLKUfBLJVqE

someone much more talented than I am said - life is a but a stage and we are but players. or something close to that. it is a show and we prep ourselves for it on the daily. John Strange knows the boundaries of the fourth, he is attempting to map them.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

sgt.null wrote:wire mesh : metal is a recurring theme in my writings. tin man, robots, artificial life.

I have little natural empathy or sympathy. it i something I have to work on, a muted (metal) state is most natural for me.
That hadn't occurred to me...
sarge wrote:shotgun wedding is an old phrase.
Oh, I'd definitely heard the phrase "shotgun wedding" before!
as exemplified by the phrase, "her daddy's got a shotgun." (actually, I think that phrase was about attempting to prevent such an occurrence..)

It was whole thing together: "I said it was about as funny as a shotgun wedding."
I like it when people take common aphorisms and re-work them or add something to them.
sarge wrote:someone much more talented than I am said - life is a but a stage and we are but players. or something close to that. it is a show and we prep ourselves for it on the daily. John Strange knows the boundaries of the fourth, he is attempting to map them.
the fourth wall? (now that is an expression I just learned fairly recently!)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Strange

Post by SleeplessOne »

I honestly clicked on this thread thinking it would be some type of rumination on the wonderful Susanna Clarke novel Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, about the two magicians who 'brought back' English magic!
But on closer inspection ... well I just don't know what I clicked!
:biggrin:
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

SleeplessOne - if I have the book (and I am not sure if I do) - I have not yet read it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “The Hall of Gifts”