The "406 Not Acceptable" Thread

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

wayfriend

The "406 Not Acceptable" Thread

Post by wayfriend »

This is a general note about the "Not Acceptable" errors that people have been seeing lately. I will explain the issue, and I will show you how to get around it.

Which problem are you talking about?

When you're perfectly good post is rejected by the server, either when you submit it or preview it, and the error message says "Not Acceptable".

This error is conveyed to your browser with HTTP Response Code 406. It's up to your browser how it displays this to you. Different browsers show it to you differently.
  • With Chrome, you see a big "Not Acceptable" in the browser, and the browser tab says "406 Not Acceptable".
  • Firefox seems to behave the same as Chrome.
  • With Internet Explorer, you see a message that says "Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format", and the browser tab says "HTTP 406 Not Acceptable".
What's really going on?

Your post is being rejected by the server because of the letters (characters) you have used in your post.

Due to security-related changes, KevinsWatch now rejects posts with certain kinds of letters. All the letters you can get from your keyboard are fine. It's usually when you paste in text from fancy websites or fancy documents that you encounter this issue. For non-English, non-American members, you can also get into trouble using letters with diacritical marks, like ü.

In techno-jargon, your form submission is rejected if it contains any characters that are not Standard ASCII. Extended ASCII characters are rejected.

Well, what can I do about it?

Well, you can sometimes fix your issue with old fashioned labor.
  • Look for any left-leaning or right-leaning single or double quotation marks, and replace them with the straight-up version you get from your keyboard.
  • Similarly, replace any characters that look like a dash with a dash from your keyboard.
  • Replace any characters with diacritical marks with vanilla versions of the character. E.g change ü to u.
If you are a person with a tropism for automation, try this website:Just paste in the bad text, press "Remove Diacritics", and then copy out the good text into your post.

If you really, really want those special characters, you can try this web site:Look up the problematic character in the table, and find the matching value in the "HTML Number" column. This will be a value like ü. Just use that HTML character sequence where you would use the special character - and don't forget that the semi-colon is part of the sequence. For example, enter Würd to get Würd.

But be forewarned: This process doesn't work in reverse. So if you wish to edit your post afterwards, or if someone wants to quote your post, it will have a bad character, and it will be rejected. The bad character would have to be found and then removed, or converted to an HTML character sequence again, before the post can be submitted. In short, doing this makes editing or quoting a pain.

Now that this problem will never bother me again, what should I do?

I am partial to flattery, and gifts are always welcome.

Better yet, if you see anyone having an issue, you can point them to this thread, and then they too will never be bothered again.
Last edited by wayfriend on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Bravo! Thanks - I'll try this next time I am not accepted :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Who dares not accept Stevie?

Must be a rather questionable character!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Uh, that sorta describes quite a few of us probably... ;)

--A
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Re: The "406 Not Acceptable" Thread

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
wayfriend wrote:If you really, really want those special characters, you can try this web site:Look up the problematic character in the table, and find the matching value in the "HTML Number" column. This will be a value like ü. Just use that character sequence where you would use the special character - and don't forget that the semi-colon is part of the sequence. For example, enter Würd to get Würd.
Thanx for this.

But there is a caveat…

When one quotes a post, the Code in the post reverts to Character-form. So, one has to repeat the process either of "purging" the quoted text of Extended ASCII Characters or of "re-Coding" it in order to be able to get one's response accepted.

The same also applies when one edits (but not when one "previews") one's own post.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That's correct, Wosbald, and that information should have been in the base post. I have corrected that.

Post by Avatar »

Which is why I couldn't sticky this. Will do it by re-coding when I have some time. :D

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:Which is why I couldn't sticky this. Will do it by re-coding when I have some time. :D
There are three occurrences of "ü" which you have to replace with "ü". I thought about removing them, but the document isn't as informative without them. But just make those three swaps and you're good. I would do it for you if I could.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, you made it easy for me. Sorted, thanks.

[Edit: Oh...and if ever you get the "unacceptable" error and you know there are no funny characters, then hit "back," copy your post, hit "reply" and post it.

I have no idea why, but for some reason it rejected the post above the edit, which has no ascii at all.]

--A
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I hope 406 becomes acceptable again soon.

-jay
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Why has this started happening all of a sudden - or at least much more frequently - of late? I've lost a few posts I was really happy with as a result of it and unlike you guys I'm not 'savvy' to the point where I can do stuff to sort it out.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
peter wrote:Why has this started happening all of a sudden - or at least much more frequently - of late? I've lost a few posts I was really happy with as a result of it and unlike you guys I'm not 'savvy' to the point where I can do stuff to sort it out.
Maybe, in the mean time, try copying/saving any laborious "in-depth" post before submitting it, so as not to lose it?

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yes. A simple CTRL-A, CTRL-C before you press [Submit] will hang on to your post.

It started happening when the server was upgraded with some sort of security patch (as I understand it). It's probably something that coincided with an oddity of the ancient phpBB2 platform to create a usability issue.

This is old but seems to strike the right issue:
community.mybb.com/thread-7592.html
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

wayfriend wrote: Now that this problem will never bother me again, what should I do?

I am partial to flattery, and gifts are always welcome.

Better yet, if you see anyone having an issue, you can point them to this thread, and then they too will never be bothered again.
And the more views and posts to this thread, the more WGDs wayfriend will earn for future WWM winners...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly wrote:And the more views and posts to this thread, the more WGDs wayfriend will earn for future WWM winners...
Spoken like a confirmed White Gold Wanter.

It is an accepted truism on the Watch that all WGDs make their way eventually to a very few hoarders chasing the items in the Aumbrie. As someone whose WGD have long been channeled to our Gracious Concierge, I know how deep that truth runs...and I still give freely.
Last edited by Savor Dam on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

peter wrote:Why has this started happening all of a sudden - or at least much more frequently - of late? I've lost a few posts I was really happy with as a result of it and unlike you guys I'm not 'savvy' to the point where I can do stuff to sort it out.
I was wondering the same thing, (it's been an issue for me a lot more frequently than before) but I realized maybe it's a matter of a shift in posting styles causing me to end up with the forbidden characters in posts I write...
...in my case, usually copying quotations that contain the dreaded left-quote character!

peter- are the posts giving you trouble ones where you are copying and pasting something from the internetz, or quoting someone you're in conversation with on the Watch?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

No Linna - there's nothing special about them, just bog standard posts like this.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

I've noticed replying to a post with extended characters (or substituted codes) can cause it too.

If that happens, use the "reply" button, instead of the quick reply box.

--A
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Thanks for the tip, Wayfriend. I found out that the board doesn't like the degree circle. Live and learn! :)

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”