Heart

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Heart

Post by Cord Hurn »

A band that certainly deserves the recognition of being legendary, and much kudos to Ann and Nancy Wilson for keeping it going. I like the early folk/metal phase of Heart the best, but every album this band has put out has something I like. And I'm pleasantly stunned by how well Ann's voice still sounds after all these years! 8O :mrgreen:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Desire Walks On

Desire - This album begins with some spoken word cacophony that I don't care for...

Black On Black II - ...but then newly-arrived bassist Schuyler Deale pushes the song forward to a beat which I find acceptably pummeling. Ann Wilson's voice is in fine form, as always. The music's okay, but doesn't really please me, besides the bass line.

Back To Avalon - Some soothing country-inspired picking opens up this offering, and that's what I like most about it. After all the pop gloss that covered this band's output on their previous three albums, it's nice to hear some acoustic folk from them again.

The Woman In Me - Howard Leese's synthesizer introducing this track brings me right back to hearing their 80's sound (well, specifically the sound that dominated their albums Heart and Bad Animals). For what it is, it's a pleasant tune to relax to over some cold drink or some wine.

Rage - The music is rather uninspired here, and I'm starting to understand why drummer Denny Carmassi jumped from this group to work with Coverdale/Page and why the band decided to take a ten-year hiatus from recording after this album.

In Walks The Night - I like the jazz-flavored piano that warms up the music, and Ann and Nancy's harmonies here are the best so far on this album. It invokes an atmosphere as comforting and soothing as donning a thick soft robe or sipping a potent bit of whisky, but it's another song that lacks true excitement (alas).

My Crazy Head - There is something that is plaguing this album enough to keep it from reaching up to greatness despite all the competent skill displayed by all its participant. And now I think I know what it is: it's that far too many of these songs have the same emotional feel.

Ring Them Bells - Layne Staley of Alice In Chains does a guest vocal on this bob Dylan-penned song, and his vocal contributions add some zest to the overall sound. I rather like this song, and it sounds like ti wishes to show honor and appreciation and empathy for life itself. I guess.

Will You Be There (In The Morning) - So far, I like this song the best of any I've heard on the album, and it's no surprise that it was picked to be the sing (written by producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange). Listening to the harmonizing of the Wilson sisters on the chorus manages to pump some stimulation in me.

Voodoo Doll - Okay, this song certainly doesn't sound like anything else on this album, starting as it does with sounds like someone blowing across a glass bottle followed by Denny's most melodic thumping on display so far. The harmonizing on the word "voodoo" injects some energy. Not bad.

Anything Is Possible - Sometimes a real shimmering beauty emerges from the voice of Ann Wilson when she sings in her lower register, and I believe that's the case here. The music fits her voice well enough to propel the song along, but it's not really memorable.

Avalon (Reprise) - This is just a brief snippet of acoustic strumming with ann's voice that feels incomplete in itself, but still serves as an introduction to the final album track.

Desire Walks On - Here, Ann and Nancy Wilson are reunited with their liongtime songwriting partner Sue Ennis. I enjoy the alternating sounds of suspense and relaxation coming from Howard's keyboard playing, and at one point Schuyler and Denny have the rhythm bubbling with real excitement.

Not my favorite Heart album, but it has its moments.
rdhopeca
The Master

Re: Heart

Post by rdhopeca »

Cord Hurn wrote:A band that certainly deserves the recognition of being legendary, and much kudos to Ann and Nancy Wilson for keeping it going. I like the early folk/metal phase of Heart the best, but every album this band has put out has something I like. And I'm pleasantly stunned by how well Ann's voice still sounds after all these years! 8O :mrgreen:
I saw them live a year or two ago and she still sounded amazing.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Cail
Lord

Re: Heart

Post by Cail »

rdhopeca wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:A band that certainly deserves the recognition of being legendary, and much kudos to Ann and Nancy Wilson for keeping it going. I like the early folk/metal phase of Heart the best, but every album this band has put out has something I like. And I'm pleasantly stunned by how well Ann's voice still sounds after all these years! 8O :mrgreen:
I saw them live a year or two ago and she still sounded amazing.
Same here. Her voice was as good this last time as it was the first time I saw them in the mid-'80s.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I have tickets to see them at Chastain Park in Atlanta on the 17th!!! Heart/Cheaptrick/Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

The cool thing about Chastain is that you actually sit at a table where you can bring your own beer/wine/food and sit and enjoy a concert. Below is a random pic from the web that shows this.

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

SoulBiter wrote:I have tickets to see them at Chastain Park in Atlanta on the 17th!!! Heart/Cheaptrick/Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

The cool thing about Chastain is that you actually sit at a table where you can bring your own beer/wine/food and sit and enjoy a concert. Below is a random pic from the web that shows this.

That IS pretty darned cool, SoulBiter. :thumbsup: Hope you enjoy the show! Hope you'll tell us how it was, too. :cross:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

WILL YOU BE THERE (IN THE MORNING)
(Written by Robert John "Mutt" Lange)

I'm lying beside you just thinking about us
Too tired to go to sleep and too much in love
I know I'm crazy but I can't close my eyes
I'm scared you won't be there in the morning when I rise
Will you be there?
Who do you dream about are you alone in your sleep?
To who will you reach out?
Oh, let it be me
Oh baby, you're my obsession, my addiction, my drug
Don't want to be without you when I wake up
Will you be there in the morning, will you be there when I want you?
Will you be there when I wake up, Oh I need you to be there in the morning
Will you be there?

Well, you're so close to me but I feel so alone
The more I touch you the more I want
Don't know what to do about me loving you but I pray to God that you feel it too
You're my obsession, my addiction, my drug, so let the candle grow into a great fire of love
Will you be there when I wake up?
I need you to be there in the morning!
I want to love you forever,
Don't want a love that's now or never
Can't you see you got me down on the floor.
I want more, more!

Will you be there when I wake up?
Will you be there in the morning?
Will you be there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fvYcRdhuBE

[This post has been edited to include song lyrics and songwriting credit.]
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Bad Animals

Who Will You Run To - The song begins with a keyboard melody that tries to sound rousing but comes off as rather trite by its last notes. The harmony singing isn't especially upbeat, either. What does work is Ann's passionate singing, made more convincing by the words she emphasizes.

Alone - A song written by professional tunesmiths Kelly and Steinberg. Howard Leese's piano has a touch of passionate sparkle in it, and Ann's lead vocal gets as fierce and bracing as it's possible for it to be right before the final chorus. Every time I listen to this, it's satisfaction guaranteed.

There's The Girl - Nancy Wilson takes over lead vocals for the third song of this album crafted by outside writers. The song has a likeable syncopated snap to it (you could dance to it), courtesy of a tight rhythmic union from bassist Mark Andes and drummer Denny Carmassi.

I Want You So Bad - Musically, this feels like it was designed to seamlessly fit in with all the other 1980s synthesizer pop hits, which to me means the feel is quite bland. Even the lyrics become bland through so much repetition.

Wait For An Answer - Apparently this is about a loved one being threatened by unscrupulous enemies with very lethal intentions. Such a dramatic premise helps give the song an unnerving feeling that's rousing.

Bad Animals - A band-penned song that gets Nancy to play her most rock-and-roll sounding guitar on the album so far, although she's not playing at her fastest by any means. The song sounds like it's about the pressures of touring, and how these pressures promote wild behavior. I like the lead vocal tradeoffs between the sisters here.

You Ain't So Tough - I find myself feeling a bit unenthused about a song that rhymes "fight" with "right" and "bluff" with "tough". The music aspires to sound cheery when the words describe disillusionment with another person. That makes this tune sound basically disconnected, emotionally speaking.

Strangers Of The Heart - Bassist Mark Andes co-wrote this song for Nancy Wilson to sing, and she pulls it off with an assuaging sincerity that gives this song much of its character. The music has an bracing, refreshing vibe to it that the album needed.

Easy Target - The melodic lead-up to the choruses is what I like best about this. The way the words are delivered successfully invokes the atmosphere of caustic self-judgment. Good, but not great.

R.S.V.P. - A composition that manages to evoke anticipative feelings of a blissful reunion, and has the album's best vocal moment in the closing harmony. Howard's synth also gets to release some truly jubilant feelings in the chorus.

Some songs here I really like ("Alone", "Bad Animals", "Strangers Of The Heart", and "R.S.V.P.") but I'm rather lukewarm about the rest.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

STRANGERS OF THE HEART
(Written by Mark Andes, Duane S. Hitchings, Sue Shiffrin)

Through the mist on the harbor
Dancing lights on the water
Shadows move I see you smiling again
When I reach out to touch you
Like a ghost looking through me
Sending chills deep into me
Shattered dreams falling like
Teardrops again
As you make me remember

Strangers of the heart
Always safe with words unspoken
Strangers of the heart
Don't take chances they'll get broken
No matter where you are
Hear me tonight I don't want to be
Strangers at heart

Broken glass of my mirror
Makes my eyes see much clearer
You and I only a whisper away
Never telling each other

Strangers of the heart
Strangers of the heart
No matter where you are
Strangers at heart

Strangers of the heart
Strangers of the heart
No matter where you are
Strangers at heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfpH45 ... 45z0O4#t=0
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

BAD ANIMALS
(Written by Ann Wilson, Howard Leese, Denny Carmassi, Mark Andes, Mark Sterling Crew, Nancy Wilson)

They walk into the lobby
The pack in black
Heads are turning
But they don`t look back

They must be crazy
Not buying in
Why these outsiders
Get to shock and offend

They`re bad animals - bad animals
Got to swim upstream got a rebel seed
Bad animals - bad animals
Got to push the grain or go insane

Out here on the frontline
Our territory is nighttime
We walk the jungle line
We stay alive

Bad, bad, bad boys and dangerous girls
Ain`t got no prescription
They make their own styles

Typical family
Trying not to stare
Look a little closer now
If you dare, if you dare, if you dare

Out here on the frontline
Our territory is nighttime
We walk the jungle line
We stay alive

Bad, bad, bad animals - bad animals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_JUGw3Iu4
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

R.S.V.P.
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Sue Ennis)

I got an invitation for you
A little temptation for you
A night in your honor
A secret rendezvous

I can almost see your face at my door
I don't want to have to wait anymore
I know my offer might be long overdue
Rsvp

It's a private affair
I just won't believe that you don't care
Rsvp

Only you and me
I'll be waiting till you answer me
Please don't hesitate I'm waiting for you
You can't have nothing more important to do

Deep in the nighttime
Hear me talk to you
Rsvp

It's a private affair
Rsvp

Only you and me
I'll be waiting 'til you answer me
Rsvp

It's a private affair
Rsvp

Only you and me
I'll be waiting till you answer me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_8DUIlZoM
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Little Queen

Barracuda - Guitarist Roger Fisher is responsible for coming with the indelible opening riff that propels the song with scintillating aggressiveness, and Michael crafted some thunderous drum fills to make it even more arresting, like the aural evocation of sighting rampaging elephants approaching.

Love Alive - Ah, what a sparkling ode to determined optimism this song is! The soft sound of the beginning fits the lyrical picture of a sunrise in progress. Beautiful ringing sounds emerge from guitarists Nancy and Roger, and Steve Fossen's bass make a nice counterpart to their melody.

Sylvan Song - An opening chorus of frogs soon joined by some chirping birds conjure a feeling of being deep within countryside, and the strumming is an uplifting and stirring intro for the next song.

Dream Of The Archer - This is probably the song that best reflects the gypsy motif of the album cover. The blended vocals of the Wilson sisters manage to add a glittering atmosphere to an already stimulating melody. It sounds great, and reminds me a touch of Led Zeppelin's "The Battle Of Evermore".

Kick It Out - A straight-ahead rocker about a young woman looking to stir up more excitement in her life. Ann Wilson wrote this song solo, and she came up with some interesting melodies. The use of piano by Howard Leese on the choruses adds a lot of punch.

Little Queen - The only song on the album written by the whole band, and you can hear they all were tightly invested in making this one work. There's an anticipation of renewed scandalous trouble in the majority of the song's sound with a long warning moment in the bridge section.

Treat Me Well - Nancy Wilson reportedly wrote this song while still in high school, and this made it especially fulfilling for her to professionally record it for major distribution. The song is a blend of hope and worry, with hope edging out for the victory.

Say Hello - Recording the sounds of coins clinking and cash registers ringing before the music begins is somewhat of a puzzle to me. The jubilant synchronization of Nancy's and Roger's guitars earns enough love from me to forgive the strange beginning, and the chipper melody keeps me grinning even though the song doesn't go far from its beginning.

Cry To Me - The lead vocal goes from deep to high, and it has a coaxing effect that adds weight to the imploring words. It all had the feel of a smoothly-produced demo, and seems to suddenly end. Convincingly empathetic.

Go On Cry - A good deal of the music here came from Roger, and the lyrics don't really stray from repeating the title. But the guitars and bass manage to convey a persuasive demand for expression. Further, Michael's drumming is the sharpest he does on the album.

The following two tracks appear on the bonus version of this album.

Too Long A Time - An early version of "Love Alive" that was competently recorded in Ann's home. The beautiful melodies were already present, but the guitar fills at this stage of song development still sound somewhat aimless and ill-fitting. The lyrics here about sneaking off for forbidden love lack the depth of this song's final version as "Love Alive".

Stairway To Heaven - Well, I think it was pretty doggoned audacious for Heart to interpret this song in a live setting (a place that sounds like a mid-size club), where it is likely to provoke unflattering comparisons to the original. But, I have to hand it to them: they pulled it off rather well. This version has all the right performance touches, from Howard's synthesizer cranking out wistfulness in the beginning, to Ann's enthusiastic vocal inflections reminiscent of Robert Plant, to Michael's precision drumming--it's all enough to make for a respectable cover of one of rock's most iconic songs. This band can be very cool, y'know?

One of my favorite Heart albums. I love every single track!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

LOVE ALIVE
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Roger Fisher)

The sky was dark this morning
When I raised my head
I stood at the window
Darkness was my bane

Suddenly a sunbeam arch
Thrilled me to my weary heart
It was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen

I knew I had to keep my love
Keep my love alive
Keep my love keep my love alive

Baby I want you to roll me
Hold me in your love
No more habits, promises or jive
Ever since I was a baby girl
Wanted one thing most in this world
It was to keep my love
Keep my love alive

I want to keep my love
Keep my love alive
Keep my love keep my love alive

You're up there under the spotlight
Your silver trophy shines
With all you got, my Lord
You must get high
You need a whole lot more than money
You need more than to survive
You gotta keep your love
Keep your love alive

Ooo, you better keep your love
Keep your love alive
You gotta keep your love
Keep your love
Keep your love alive
C'mon now, keep your love, now
Keep your love alive
Keep your love, keep it alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCt0S4etsec
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Funny thing....I was never a Howard Leese fan back in the '80s, as I thought his tone and his playing were too antiseptic. Now I hear what he played and I like it. Leese's playing fit the music Heart was playing very well.

"Wild Child" is a shining example of his merit.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I like Heart. Well, the 70s stuff. Yes, they still sound amazing live. I've got the Blu-ray concert from two tours ago, I believe. Definitely not the latest. Anyway, it's amazing. Ann's voice is holding up well, and Nancy could be a lead singer in her own band if she wasn't outshined but such an amazing sister.

They've always done fantastic Zep covers. On the Blu-ray mentioned above, they do a version of Battle of Evermore that gives me chills. Better than the original. I'm serious. Just the two sisters, one on guitar, one on mandolin, and both singing their hearts (heh) out.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The concert was incredible. They have not lost a step. Their voices are still very strong. They played a few new songs, some more recognized older songs (Barracuda, Even it up) they closed the show with two Zeppelin songs. Immigrant song and Stairway. Absolutely outstanding covers of both of those.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

This is basically the close out in the same tour this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdofSU1C_iQ
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

BARRACUDA
(Written by Ann Wilson, Roger Fisher, Nancy Wilson, Michael DeRosier)

So this ain't the end, I saw you again
Today
I had to turn my heart away
Smiles like the sun, kisses for everyone
And tales, it never fails

You lying so low in the weeds
I bet you gonna ambush me
You'd have me down, down, down, down on my knees
Now wouldn't you, Barracuda?

Back over time we were all trying for free
You met the porpoise and me
No right, no wrong, selling a song
A name, whisper game

And if the real thing don't do the trick
You better make up something quick
You're gonna burn, burn, burn, burn
Burn it to the wick
Ooh, Barracuda

"Sell me, sell you," the porpoise said,
"Dive down, deep down, safer than you
"I think that you've got the blues, too"

All that night and all the next
Swam without looking back
Made for the western pools
Silly, silly fools

And if the real thing don't do the trick
You better make up something quick
You're gonna burn, burn, burn, burn
Burn it to the wick
Aaahh, Barra, Barracuda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OX_8YvFxA
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

LITTLE QUEEN
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Roger Fisher, Howard Leese, Michael DeRosier, Steve Fossen)

You'd rather have wine than gin
And only the finest by your skin
Always runnin' after time
Catching your fancy with rhymes
Shinin' on the front page again

Now you're hot on the presses today, little queen
Makin' your passion play, little queen
Nobody knows your melancholy mind, little queen

Away from the sellers, the papers said
Your crown was tight and heavy on your head
But still you danced and you sang all night
The telephone rang
And music kept on playin' from your pen

Now you're hot on the presses today, little queen
Makin' your passion play, little queen
Yeah, little queen, yeah, little queen, yeah, little queen

You better shine, you better shine, you know
You better shine, shine, shine tonight, oh

(Raining)
He knows your soul ain't free
(Raining)

Oh an' he feels you, little queen, yeah

(Raining)
(Raining)
I see you, I see you raining
(Raining)
He knows you're raining
(Raining)
Oh yeah

You're slippin' away with your gypsy band
You're hot on your music and playin' a winning hand
You were standin' in the line, thinkin' how you moved his mind
And feeling like he held you in his hand

And you're hot on the presses today, little queen
Making your passion play, little queen
Yeah, little queen, yeah, little queen, yeah, little queen

Magazine, little queen, yeah
Ooh, oh no, no, no, little queen
Oh , ooh, no, no, no, Little queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKY1wJlzqjo
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vespers”