Heart

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

HEARTLESS
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson)

The doctor said come back again next week
I think that you need me
All she did was cry
She wanted to die
Doctor please, when can you see me?
There's a guy out there
Seems like he's everywhere
It just ain't fair!

Heartless, heartless!
Never never out of control
Heartless, heartless!
Ya keep on sinnin'
In the name of a rock and roll
Heartless, heartless!
Ya think he's gonna bare his empty soul
You never realize the way love dies
When you crucify its soul

Late night, in the penthouse room
The fire is burnin'
The shadows are warm
She lay in his arms, answers his yearning
D'ya think she understand the lie of his plans
Her eyes are filled with sand

Heartless, heartless!
Heartless, heartless!
Ya keep on sinnin'
Heartless, heartless!
He thinks it's so cool to be cold
He never realizes the way love dies

Heartless, heartless!
Heartless heartless
Ya keep on sinnin'
Heartless, heartless!
Ya think he's gonna bare his empty soul
You never realizes the way love dies

Yeah, didn't you never realize

Crucify me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmSRt1MMrw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Beautiful Broken

Heart's sixteenth studio album, released in 2016, mainly consists of remakes of their songs, with two new tunes ("Two", and "I Jump"). The band decided not to touch their most famous songs (which I think was smart, because fans fell in love with those songs they way they already sounded, so all the work of re-doing the standards would only have netted more complaint than praise). Bassist Dan Rothchild produced the album along with Nancy, and for the greater part of the album I like what they've done. Joining Ann and Nancy and Dan on this are guitarist Craig Bartok, drummer Ben Smith, keyboardist Craig Joyner, and someone named Ken Sluiter who is credited with providing "textures" (I'm not sure what that means).

Beautiful Broken - An earlier version of this song had been released as a bonus track for the deluxe edition of Heart's previous studio album, Fanatic. For this re-recording, guest vocalist James Hetfield of Metallica had written extra lyrics for himself and/or Ann to sing. Their voices work together better than I'd expect. Out of the selection of songs here, I think this was the best track to pick as the album's opener.

Two - This one's a creation from outside writers, but Nancy, Dan, Craig, and Ben make it sound like it was written for them. It all sounds, er, heartfelt, and sharply professional in its execution. Placing this song to follow "Beautiful Broken" was a good idea, for its contrasting slowed-down tempo draws, acquires, and keeps my attention.

Sweet Darlin' - This particular song of Ann's can always soothingly bolster my spirit. The strings added to this version attempt to reproduce this calm confidence, but end up making the song come across as overdone and over-sweetened. String arranger Paul Buckmaster should have vouluntarily taken a pay cut for sinking this remake with his overindulgence.

I Jump - The last of the two songs freshly written for this album, it has a restless energy to it that perfectly suits the lyrics. The strings work better here than in "Sweet Darling", but the backing vocals and Ben's drumming are uninspiring to me, at least in the chorus. On the other hand, I find the song's bridge to be a slice of serene sweetness, and this factor along with Ann's powerful earnestness wins me over.

Johnny Moon - I don't like this version compared to the original on Passionworks. The guitar leads are more a distraction than a fit to the melody. Craig's playing and how his guitar was recorded sound like samplings from the "backwards guitar" part of the Beatles' "I'm Only Sleeping", and it just doesn't work for the material here. Really, it sounds to me to mostly be a muddled mess. But that lessens once the bridge is crossed over and behind me.

Heaven - A remake that positively entertains me. Dan Rothchild's bass plays a midtempo groove that is catchy and reminiscent of the bass line in the Eagles' "Those Shoes", but different enough to not be a steal. Dan and Nancy did exceptionally well producing this track. The music conjures up yearning and gratification into an improbably spicy coexistence.

City's Burning - I think putting the strings in the mix diminishes the ferocity of this song as I've been used to hearing it on Private Audition, and I don't like how the tempo has been slowed. A lot of the broiling tension was dissolved by those decisions. But the production sure gives a nice sharpness to guitars and bass. So overall, I consider this an only slightly inferior version to the original.

Down On Me - It's a song about burden and pain, so I could expect it to drag me down a bit. But the use of strings in this "do-over" version manage to add a buoyancy, an emotional lift, to convince me this version is superior to the original track. The guitars have a classic ringing sound to them on this one.

One Word - This song was already a jewel, with its silky glowing melody, and this re-recording polishes it to glittering glory. The tones of the instruments exude calm and assurance. Nancy's vocals and Craig's and Nancy's guitars keep that feeling of forward momentum going, and are aided by the sumptuous-sounding synth of Chris Joyner.

Language Of Love - One of the pleasures of hearing this album is that I gain further confirmation of the enduring power of Ann's voice (and Nancy's). The understated acoustic guitar that carries the verse suits me about right, as does the plush sounds of the strings. The resolution in the lyrics makes this an astute choice for the album's closer.

I can't say I think this album belongs in the upper stratosphere of reverence I reserve for my favorite Heart albums, but I think it's pretty good. It's worth picking up, if you feel you've got the change to spare!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

BEAUTIFUL BROKEN
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Ben Mink, James Hetfield)

She's a big star
And she's burning bright
Losing her religion each and every night
She's the real thing
And she'll tell you so
And lots of other things you don't wanna know

Such a drama queen
A hot mess
Underneath her temper, underneath her dress
Like a raw flame
She got a secret mind
Getting your attention each and every time

Oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, OH-OH, OH!
Beautiful broken
Beautiful broken

She's beautiful and broken
Just like you and me
Just like you and me

Such a naughty girl
Throws her body down
Screaming for her daddy but he's not around
Absolution
Just a shot away
She don't know she gotta pay to play

Oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, OH-OH, OH!
Beautiful broken
Beautiful broken
Beautiful broken
Beautiful broken
She's broken
Beautiful broken
Beautiful broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBDM8WEWM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svct1o3Qfeg [Live at the Royal Albert Hall]
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

ONE WORD
(Written by Nancy Wilson)

Wake up love, wake up babe
I wanna tell you, let me say
Dreaming never looked so true
One word ain't enough
Heaven's finding eyes in you
How can I say love?

Many smilers lie to each other, oh
Children hide with pretty words, oh
So many times we seem to find
Children play too rough
Never too late for what we are made for
How can I say love?

All this feeling here inside
One word ain't enough
The way to say it seems to hide
How can I say love?

How do we wind up?
Why do we wind up so alone?
How many roads do we gotta travel on
Till we find out we're already home?
Already home

All this feeling here inside
One word ain't enough
The way to say it seems to hide
How can I say love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHmtHGvz8x8
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

HEAVEN
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Sue Ennis)

There's a song the river sings
There's a river sings your name
The air is living humming
Slanting sun in heaven's view

Lay down your restless
Motion now
Turn down the faithless
Voice inside
Protect my heart
My heart beat
I'll take care of you
I'll take care of you
I will take care of you

Lay down upon
The silver grass
Down on the blanket
Laid for us
Melt you all together
Watch the moon
The Moon go down

Hang on
Hang on strong to me
Let me show you
Let me show you
How sweet the strong can be
Hold on, heaven
Hold on, heaven

Hang on
Hang on strong to me
Let me show you
Let me show you
Hold on, heaven
Hold on, heaven

Hang on
Hang on strong to me
Let me show you
Let me show you
Hold on, heaven
Hold on, heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ZPS6EDjmk
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Heart Presents A Lovemongers' Christmas

Heart went on hiatus in the mid-1990s, and original member Howard Leese left the band, leaving Ann and Nancy Wilson as the sole original members from their mid-1970s debut. Guitarist Frank Cox and songwriting collaborator Sue Ennis (who plays keyboards on this collection) added to Ann and Nancy comprise the Lovemongers, and they re-released the second Lovemongers album as Heart's twelfth studio album in 2001.

Here Is Christmas - This starts with some simple guitar plucking, with some lackluster drumming and synth threaded into the music. The vocals are obviously going to be good when it's Ann and Nancy, but the vocals can't overcome this boring music.

Balulalow - The guitar strumming has more of a magical twinkle in its tone, and Nancy and Ann challenge themselves to go higher in their vocalizing, so that this song is easier for me to like than the first track, and it's short and sweet.

Christmas Waits - I've noticed I have a bias that favors songs with Nancy over Ann on lead vocals, even though I certainly respect the powerful throat notes emerging from Dreamboat Annie. But for these typically gentler, more whimsical tunes, Nancy's voice works about right and Ann's voice can often seem like overkill. Nancy sounds good here.

William & Rose - The percussion chiming in this track's beginning makes it all seem more buoyant, and I can enjoy the occasional appearance of the woodwind instrument to further impact the song with an optimistic vibe. Not bad.

Ave Maria - This version of the Franz Schubert devotional standard to Mary doesn't start out as I expected, being gentler and lower key than I anticipated, but I think this is all to the good. Ann gets to show her note-holding powers without pealing out at high range.

How Beautiful - This and the following track, "The Last Noel" are the two songs written by all four Lovemongers, Ann, Nancy, Sue, and Frank. I like the lyrical focus on appreciating the finer things in life that cost little to nothing. Alas, the music seems somewhat bland.

The Last Noel - Frank sings the lead on this one. His lyrics draw an interesting but not entirely convincing parallel between celebrating Christmas and dying and passing on to the next life. It's odd, and all too derivative of the standard "The First Noel".

It's Christmas Time - It's a plea to the listener to accept that Christmas is indeed a more magical moment of the year. For me, that's a hard sell, as I can't see any disadvantage to allowing oneself to feel energized and optimistic at other times of the year. But some of the best vocals on the album are here.

Oh Holy Night - This is probably the most traditional rendering of any Christmas standard on the album. But, really, it's a natural choice for Ann to sing, and it manages through the harmony arrangements to make this old song sound fresh, no small trick.

Bring A Torch - I like the acoustic guitar's sharp and clean tone, and the backing woodwind adds convivial support, to the point that this instrumental sounds like it's the most "magical" track on here, with the possible exception of "Oh Holy Night".

I have a confession: I don't much like holiday albums, regardless of the holiday and of the artists that created the albums, so I came into listening to this album with skepticism that I'd like any of it. I liked it better than expected, but that's not saying a whole lot. This would be my least favorite Heart album, but for the existence of Private Audition (which I'll review next).
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

AVE MARIA
(Written by Franz Schubert)
(This arrangement by Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson)

Ave Maria
Ave Maria
Mother mild
Oh listen to a woman's prayer
For you can hear me through the wild
And you can save me from despair
Keep me from despair
And safe I sleep beneath your core
Though banished outcast, and reviled
Oh mother hear a woman's prayer
Oh mother hear your loving child
Ave Maria
Ave Maria
Undefiled
The coldest night we share together
Will seem with down of eider piled
If your protection covers there
If you are there
The darkness and the heavy air
Shall breathe of perfume if you have smiled
Oh mother hear a woman's prayer
Oh mother hear your loving child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKPoXOCQTA
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

CHRISTMAS WAITS

How long have I been watching from my window?
Running through my life, watching it all go by?
Seems like I've always got a destination
Running down the time, pushing to the front of the line

I wanna go where the snow is falling
Voices of friends like Angels calling
(Out in the pines)
(Oh, beautiful tree)
I wanna be there where Christmas waits for me
(Christmas waits)
Gather round the fire, let the weather rage outside
(Christmas waits)
I always will be welcome for the rest of my life
When Christmas waits

I wanna go where the snow is falling
Voices of friends like Angels calling
(Out in the pines)
(Oh, beautiful tree)
I wanna be there where Christmas waits for me

(Christmas waits)
Gather round the fire, let the weather rage outside
(Christmas waits)
I always will be welcome for the rest of my life
When Christmas waits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1QAhA4fhM
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Private Audition

City's Burning - This one has a good galvanizing guitar intro, and Ann's voice is at its fiercest and most caustic. The emotional aggressiveness is snarled by the somewhat boring bridge, and Steve Fossen's bass playing is mediocre, but the song still has strong energy.

Bright Light Girl - The opening harmonica is a pleasant surprise, and the boogie vibe with Howard's silvery piano lines add a lighthearted and enjoyable feel to the proceeding, making it all sound more crisp and appealing. Bass and drums are adequate, but nothing more.

Perfect Stranger - Sure, Ann sings great, just about like she always does. But this synthesizer-dominated ballad is as morose as it is forgettable. I don't get any real feeling of progression on this one: it's the musical equivalent of slowly sinking in quicksand.

Private Audition - The piano tone on this one has a peppery bite to it that I can enjoy, but I can't enjoy much else about this song. The music is unexceptional, and there is no feel of any excitement from the band. It's very bland.

Angels - No doubt this song was intended to be perceived as quietly beautiful and soothing, but it strikes me as tedious and dreary. There is just no catchy melodic hooks to be found anywhere in this song; it's arid and tedious.

This Man Is Mine - I like this song better than most on the album, and I feel some respect for Heart for branching out and trying a song with a Motown flavor. But drummer Mike DeRosier almost ruins this track by hitting heavily when subtleness was needed.

The Situation - Well, finally there's another song on the album besides "City's Burning" that has an enticingly saucy vibration going for it. Nancy's more ethereal style of singing complements the music. The song's positive's are somewhat undercut by strange guitar shrieks and vocal growls.

Hey Darlin Darlin - I'm annoyed by the clicking percussion that opens this track, which has nothing to do with the music that follows. It's weak musically and (surprise) vocally, and is as aimless as the album is as a whole. It's a sludgy mixture of boring dreck.

One Word - This song just drags along despite Nancy's pleasant singing, because it's quiet to the point of being soporific, and the double-dose of synthesizer with piano makes it sound overproduced. The Beautiful Broken remake of this is much better, sounding leaner, more glowing, and memorable.

Fast Times - A song intended for the movie Fast Times At Ridgemont High that didn't make the cut. Mike's drumming clicks well for the song, but the tune's melody is too dispiriting to make it match up with the intention of being an energetic celebration of adolescence.

America - Another lifeless contribution from the band. It's hard to believe that this is the same group (minus ousted guitarist Roger Fisher, who perhaps was needed here) that produced such zesty albums as Little Queen and Dog & Butterfly. This song is as gloomy and funereal as can be, and the lyrics amount to vague and stale-sounding complaints.

This is such a DUD of an album. Michael DeRosier complained frequently about the group's shakey musical direction, and was often seconded by bassist Steve Fossen, and both were fired from the band after this album was completed. This whole effort sounded emotionally disengaged and unharmonious. Even the pop albums that Heart followed this with have more spark and enthusiasm. I like Heart a lot, but can't tolerate this offering much. It's either too bland or too bleak, and gets my vote for Worst Heart Album. Talk about being in a creative rut!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

CITY'S BURNING

Young man is angry, girl is afraid
She want to get high and he want to get paid
She had to jump up, he had to sit down
When they heard those words about the trouble downtown
He had to shout, she had to cry
He wanted to kill and she wanted to die

City's burning
Cities burning
City's burning
Cities burning

Grab for the dial, tune out the fright
But he turns left and she turns right
She look for love songs, he buys the drive
But all they can pull is bad news in tonight

City's burning
Cities burning
City's burning
Cities burning

Ooh mama, tell me what to do?
Aah daddy you better pull us through
Ooh mama, mama, mama, tell me what to do?
Daddy, you better pull us through

Young man is angry, girl is afraid
He want to get high and she want to get paid

City's burning
Cities burning
City's burning
Cities burning, burning, burning, burning

City's burning
Cities burning
City's burning, burning, burning, burning, burning, ohh
Cities burning, burning, burning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... iJpVP0CQ4E
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

THE SITUATION
(Written by Nancy Wilson, Michael DeRosier)

Go to the city away from the land, stand in a line
Where they stamp your hand, wind up at a dance
You want to energize, is it just by chance?
People have electric eyes

Wires and strings, line that lead to power supplies
Games read green on table screens, charged and powered
Media-ized, we are channeled, we are hypnotized
Wake up, shake up the situation

Hold on, help the situation
Human condition, so extreme
You can see it feeding the new machine
There is still a dream, our humanity, hero rebels die

Leaving us the key
Wake up, shake up the situation
Hold on, help the situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfp7LAMLZLA
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

THIS MAN IS MINE

Now everybody in this neighborhood
All you women better listen good
I know it's just a matter of time
Till one of you steps out of line
All I got is this to say
Simple message to relay
Get out of here and just keep away
'cause this man is mine

This man is mine
This man, this man is mine
I know the women round here
Recognize something good
Even try to take it if they could
So I'm using every little trick I know
Making sure that he won't go
I put up all my resistance
All you girls you better keep your distance
We don't need no more of your assistance

This man is mine
This man is mine
He got passion burning in his eyes
Steaming up the night
Always makes me realize
What I done was right

This man is mine
This man is mine
(Gonna love him
Gonna teach him
Gonna tell him
Gonna reach him)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... OI83Ut3y3M
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Fanatic

For Heart's fifteenth album Fanatic, released in 2012, Ann & Nancy are here working with producer, guitarist, keyboardist/violinist Ben Mink, as well as drummer Ben Smith and bassist Ric Markmann. All of them are competent players, and I don't doubt they wanted to put out something good, but they managed instead to put out a tolerably average album in the vein of Passionworks. There are a few really good songs on this one, but mostly the songwriting manages to sound a bit "off" and can't quite win me over.

Fanatic - Well, this song has a strut to it, but other than Ric's bass lines (which I find the most memorable feature of this song) I don't find it compelling to hear. It's a decent mid-tempo rocker, but I can't say it's a really awesome Heart song.

Dear Old America - This one I like, for Nancy's growling guitar mixed in with the tranquil violin playing--somehow the combination works. The synthesizer sadly trips up the song's flow at brief moments, but that's the only real complaint I have. It's a pretty good song.

Walkin' Good - Guest vocalist Sarah McLachlan sounds terrific singing with Nancy. Ann plays the flute here, and it's a good blend with the song, though it's only here and there in its presence. This one got me humming to it.

Skin and Bones - Sometimes listening to funk pumps me up, and sometimes it makes me impatient to hear something else. I'm in a funk-friendly state of mine at the moment of reviewing this, so I say that I find this song spicy and sweet, with no bitter aftertaste. Honestly. Just don't ask me what I think of it tomorrow.

A Million Miles - Drummer Ben Smith has a chance to show off his skill. The techno-style keyboard playing doesn't seem awkward here matched with the otherwise typical Heart sound. Rather, it well suits the lyrical content about driving a long distance, encountering one view of the road at a time, second by second. It works for me, to my surprise.

Pennsylvania - The beginning is slow, quiet, and doesn't really interest me, as its melody is gloomy and it just seems to stumble forward through the song ungracefully. The synthesizer from Ben Mink is something I find uplifting, but it's Ann's placid delivery that carries this out of mediocrity.

Mashallah - Not bad, but like the title track, it never really takes off, and at least the song "Fanatic" has a decently catchy bass riff going for it. I admit I do like that the highest singing notes so far on the album are to be found here. But this is mainly forgettable, alas.

Rock Deep (Vancouver) - An ode to the town Heart lived in when writing their first album Dreamboat Annie. that's a nice sentiment, I suppose, but the songwriting is rather unexceptional. I'm not finding it easy to wait until this song is over.

59 Crunch - It begins with a lighthearted guitar, and the sound from the bass and drums gives the song a pleasant "crunch". Nevertheless, the verse slows down the momentum somewhat, and I think it feels like a bit of an awkward fit with the rest of the song.

Corduroy Road - This one draws me in and want to listen to it more closely, because I find it a little hypnotizing. The song's bridge doesn't work so well with the rest of it, and I think it is because of the morose backing vocals and the discordant string arrangement.

An okay Heart album; it's overall not as good as its immediate predecessor Red Velvet Car, as it sounds less focused. "Dear Old America", "Walkin' Good", and "A Million Miles" would be the only songs from this one that I would really want to hear live.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

WALKIN' GOOD
(Written by Nancy Wilson, Ann Wilson, Ben Mink)

Below the bridge the water rose on by
Trouble's gone and time is on my side
Been living in my ordinary shoes
Walkin' off my ordinary blues

Once upon a love so bright and true
Weather changed and went to Sunday School
Once upon a dark and stormy day...
Promises dried up and blew away

I found myself a brand new neighborhood
Don't worry about me 'cause I'm walking good
Take tomorrow I'm giving up the past
Nothing but a hobo walking good at last

Anyway I'm okay
Day into night and night into day
Gone so far away from my home
Take the high road and down below

Anyway I'm okay

Anyway I'm okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3miTHCH1TQQ
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

DEAR OLD AMERICA
(Written by Ann Wilson, Ben Mink, Nancy Wilson)

Standing in line on the depot floor
Taking my time getting through the door
Daddy said "go!" and Mama just cried
Sister said "devil's on the other side"
Hurricane blowing water gets high
Can't turn around or I'll drown in lies

When I get back I'm gonna own this town
Shine that medal and wear that crown
Fall on my knees and kiss the ground...
Dear old America

Run run rabbit save your rabbit skin
Jump right back in your hole again
Bullets they cry whispering drone
Fire in the sky God's on the phone

When I get home I'm gonna shove my doubts
Dream my dreams and shut my mouth
Nobody knows what this is all about
Dear old America

We don't beg and we don't run
We don't lose we don't overcome
Purple mountain majesty sliding to a broken sea
Daddy he swear and Mama she cry
"My sweet baby she's bound to die"

When I get back I'm gonna feel just fine
One more day I'm gonna do my time
Ain't no hammer gonna ring like mine

Nobody knows what this is all about now

Nobody knows what this is all about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJtKKCwet34
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

FANATIC
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Ben Mink)

Don't try to tell me the world is changing
Heart's getting stupid, now that is a strange thing
I got a heartbeat, I feel the heat rise, I got no questions, I got no alibis

Love... don't know the difference
Sands and mountains are insignificant
Now don't try to tell me love is dead, it is your body, now it is your head
I can't stop crying, I can't stop screaming, I can't stop talking, I can't stop dreaming

Love is pleasure, love is pain
Sweet, sweet summer and bitter rain
I gotta have it, I gotta use it, I gotta own it, never lose it
Oh oh, whoa whoa, I'm just a fanatic
Yeah

Love, love is pleasure, love is pain
Sweet, sweet summer and bitter rain
I gotta have it, I gotta use it, I gotta own, never lose it
I gotta use it, I gotta have it, I feel the heat rise
Love love love
Yeah
Oh, whoa whoaa whoaaa
I'm just a fanatic

I'm just a fanatic
Yeah, now I gotta have it
Uh, I'm just a fanatic
I gotta chose it, now now now, just a, just a fanatic
Ooooo, mmm mmm, love love love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIoxpJtMe0E
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Bébé le Strange

By some time in the year 1979, as writing had begun on this album, lead guitarist Roger Fisher was voted out of the band by all his other bandmates. While Ann and Nancy are clearly the most important members of this band, being symbolic of the band and the most prolific songwriters, Roger's guitar leads were also a memorable part of Heart's sound on their first four records. Howard Leese stepped up to perform some guitar duties along with continuing to play some keyboards, and Nancy upped her game on playing guitar leads as well as rhythms. The band isn't quite as great as compared to how they sounded with Roger, but they still mostly sound pretty good.

Bebe le Strange - The opening music sounds animated, like a promise the music will be going to interesting places in this song. The verse lyrics sound taunting, and I can't see how the chorus lyrics in any way illuminate the verse lyrics. It's good rock, but not great rock.

Down On Me - It's gruff; it's moody. The heartfelt (sorry about the pun) delivery of this band on this number is a positive aspect to me. But, I have to say the remake of this on Beautiful Broken is clearly the better version, with more fiery emotion to it.

Silver Wheels - Acoustic guitar by Nancy that I find to be optimistic in some places and somber in other places. The band often used this as a lead-in for "Crazy On You", and it works very well as a build-up in that context.

Break - Musically, it sounds a little offbeat and quirky for Heart's style, but I don't necessarily consider that to be a bad thing. I often like surprises and unexpected twists and turns in songs, as long as the transitions seem to fit together. And here, they do.

Rockin' Heaven Down - This has a lovely guitar intro and sharp and entertaining production from Mike Flicker. All this has a mostly tangy bite to it. I think the best performances here are from the rhythm section of Steve and Mike. Ann's voice, fantastic though it is, can sometimes sound too screechy, as on this.

Even It Up - Stinging and satisfying guitars from Nancy and Howard are reinforced by glorious bursts of energy in Mike's drumming and further bolstered by the Tower of Power horn section. The lyrics are liberating, and Ann's laugh on "you ain't paid yours, yet" always charms me. A spirited and sassy song that's well-articulated both musically and lyrically.

Strange Night- A decent song for the likes of many other bands, but I hold Heart to a higher standard than most bands, because my expectations for them are generally higher (because I like them so much, of course). So, with that in my mind, I want to state that I consider this a mediocre Heart song' it lacks something for me.

Raised On You - I like the crisp and bracing sound of Howard's keyboards that start out the song, and his keyboards on the song's bridge. I like these keyboards even better on the chorus. Mike's drumming is adequate, but not really remarkable. Steve's bass is convivial; Nancy's guitar is likewise jovial. I think it's a good track.

Pilot - If you want a relaxing song that hits the sweet spot melodically for you, this song may be able to fulfill that function for you. Nancy and Howard's guitar playing together here and else where on the album sowed the band could survive without Roger, although sacrificing some zest in the band's sound as a result.

Sweet Darlin' - The Beautiful Broken remake of this song can't improve on this original version, because the remake relies on piling on the instrumental overdubs. This original version sounds sparer, and this spare sound makes it pungently sweet. Beautiful job by Ann, who reportedly played every instrument on here except the drums.

The band chugs on without Roger and his fancy guitar flourishes, and it's a fairly decent Heart album overall. Just not as good as its predecessors Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen, and Dog & Butterfly.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

BEBE LE STRANGE
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Roger Fisher, Sue Ennis)

It's got to be you reading my letter
Not your hired hand
I don't know how to say it no better
I love you and the band
Never heard rockin' like you could
Howling like you can
It gets me thinking of Johnny B. Goode
But you know you ain't no man

When I heard you play I knew your
Name should be changed
We're all dog-panicked and you are to blame
Everybody ought to call you
Bebe le strange
You look so insane
We gave you a name
Bebe le strange

Oh, rock, baby
Oh, rock and roll, my baby
Oh, rock, baby

I wish I knew what you're really like
A touch so shy and fine
But the way you move with that guitar
Just gives me other signs
Here's my number give me a sign
Call me back if this gets through
Bebe, Bebe, Bebe, Bebe
I'd never say no to you

When I heard your song I knew your
Name should be changed
Everybody ought to call you
Bebe le strange
Under my skin you've got my mind
rearranged
You're so insane
Bebe's so strange
Bebe le strange

Oh, rock, baby
Oh, rock, baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3Dwx5CAUQ (Studio version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... LZX68W6nNA (Live version from 2005)

Return to “Vespers”