Heart

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

NOTHIN' AT ALL
(Written by Mark Mueller)

I would walk home every evening
Through the pyramids of light
I would feed myself on silence
Wash it down with empty nights

Then your innocent distractions
Hit me so hard
My emotional reaction
Caught me off guard

It was nothing at all
Like anything I had felt before
And it was nothing at all
Like I thought no it's so much more
No one else has ever made
Me feel this way
When I asked you how you did it
You just say
It was nothing at all

Now I walk home every evening
And my feet are quick to move
Cause I know my destination
Is a warm and waiting you
From our first communication
It was clear
Any thought of moderation
Would soon disappear

It was nothing at all
Like I thought no, it's so much more
Me feel this way
when I asked you how you did it
You just say
It was nothing at all

Then your innocent distractions
Hit me so hard
My emotional reaction
Caught me off guard

It was nothing at all
Like I thought no, it's so much more
Me feel this way
When I asked you how you did it
You just say
It was nothing at all

It was nothing at all
It was nothing at all
It was nothing at all
It was nothing at all
It was nothing at all
It was nothing at all

This is a band that has been on my radar for over 40 years. I first heard of the Wilson sisters from their High School math teacher, of all people.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lXKZ9Zksg

[Heart: Nothin' At All]

I've always been amused that this video setting leaves drummer Denny Carmassi nothin' at all to do except tap on the rails and columns... :P
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Savor Dam wrote:This is a band that has been on my radar for over 40 years. I first heard of the Wilson sisters from their High School math teacher, of all people.
A very interesting way of finding out about them, Savor Dam! Not a common way, I would think...so did the math teacher seem like a fan? :wink:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Cord Hurn wrote:...did the math teacher seem like a fan? :wink:
Not particularly, but he was old-school. Apparently they were not ideal students when in his class. He was the uncle of a friend and mentioned them in passing when he heard the friend and I listening to a track from the then-new Dreamboat Annie album on the radio.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Savor Dam wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:...did the math teacher seem like a fan? :wink:
Not particularly, but he was old-school. Apparently they were not ideal students when in his class. He was the uncle of a friend and mentioned them in passing when he heard the friend and I listening to a track from the then-new Dreamboat Annie album on the radio.

Interesting to hear, Savor Dam! Apparently a lot of successful rockers weren't much for school before "making it big".
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

A great video! I think I remember reading that Ann Wilson remarked that playing "Stairway" in front of Led Zeppelin was a little "like reciting Bible verses in front of the Pope", but they pulled it off quite well. As others have already said here, Heart seem to have a knack for covering LZ.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Heart

The band's self-titled 8th album saw them turn more towards pop and to outside writers. This wasn't a move that was popular with me at the time, though it wasn't enough to discourage me from going to see them in concert that year (1985). And it certainly paid off for them: Heart remains the group's biggest-selling album to date, and some of its songs have become among my favorites over the years. This is the second Heart album with the line-up of Ann & Nancy & Howard with bassist Mark Andes and drummer Denny Carmassi.

If Looks Could Kill - Some hard feelings and tough talking goes on here. Righteous singing, as always. But I find through the years that this song is forgettable, as I regularly forget this album does not open with "What About Love". So, while that could be my fault rather than Heart's, I still find this song forgettable. Now...what were we talking about?

What About Love - A very 1980s-era keyboard tone (as in much like a harmonized whine) opens this, and the infectious verse melody is bolstered by the arrestingly loud choruses. And I like hearing Mark's busy bass as the song progresses. Denny's drumming is quite hard-hitting, but despite this sounds pedestrian to me.

Never - The blending of Nancy's and Howard's guitars has a pleasantly playful ticklish sound about it that makes the song more fun for me, and this is one of the album's songs for which I've gained increased fondness over the years. The quick follow-through of notes from guitar to drums to bass at the beginning and ending of verses has a quick, crisp, snappy effect to it that serves the song well by breathing more energy into it all.

These Dreams - It's pretty much a pop song heavy on the synthesizer, where the lyrics talk about dealing with the alternate existence of dreaming while the music conjures up a dreamlike atmosphere. I moderately like this tune and feel Howard Leese's keyboards have enough variance in sound to keep this stirring. This became Heart's first #1 song, with Nancy rather than Ann on lead vocals.

The Wolf - Good gritty guitars roaring as the song begins set a mood of wariness, suspicion, and anticipated conflict. Which means the music blends in well with lyrics warning of carnivorous intent. So I chewed on the lyrics for awhile, and decided that their flavor was nothing special. And I chewed on the music for awhile, grateful that it had a zesty crunch to it. So it's not without merit, but the song doesn't strike me as anything great, either.

All Eyes - The playing through the bridge and the outro is confident and polished. The singing's fine, as you might expect, but neither the melodies nor the harmonies sound very noteworthy, just adequate. It may be my imagination, but the band actually sounds a little tired here. I wonder if this was the last track recorded for the album?

Nobody Home - Interesting set of lyrics (though I could do without the line, "Don't ride your heart like a balloon") and some rather sweet sounds from keyboards and guitars. I don't find anything to get excited about with this song, but it's competently done and tends to stick in my memory for awhile after hearing it, which recommends it to some extent.

Nothin' At All - I'm almost ready to like this song based solely on poetic lyrics such as "...fed myself on silence, washed it down with empty nights". The group keeps it rolling like a sturdy and well-oiled machine. The moments when Ann and Nancy each sing the title make for my favorite vocals on the album.

What He Don't Know - A questionable decision is well-echoed by the uneasy sound of the synth in the choruses, when the lyrics proclaim the way to "rational lies" (rationalize) a situation of continued deceit. I don't wish to like this song because I view the lyrics as hogwash in their thrust, but I'm persuaded to neutrality for the track overall, because the chorus has an enjoyable accessibility about it.

Shell Shock - This song has the most blisteringly bold sound for any track on this album, thanks to how the guitar leads close out the song. Yeah, the song's fade-out is its best part, I'm mostly confident of that. As for the earlier parts of this song: good attention-grabbing beginning, a capable-but-not-particularly-inspired performance from the band on verses, a solo that is much too short for my taste, and a really boring chorus. Still, this album manages to have a cohesive feel among all the songs, so that none seem out of place, and I can't deny that Heart managed to broaden the band's audience considerably.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

THESE DREAMS
(Written by Martin George Page, Bernie Taupin)

Spare a little candle
Save some light for me
Figures up ahead
Moving in the trees
White skin in linen
Perfume on my wrist
And the full moon that hangs over
These dreams in the mist

Darkness on the edge
Shadows where I stand
I search for the time
On a watch with no hands
I want to see you clearly
Come closer than this
But all I remember
Are the dreams in the mist

These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away

Is it cloak 'n' dagger
Could it be spring or fall
I walk without a cut
Through a stained glass wall
Weaker in my eyesight
The candle in my grip
And words that have no form
Are falling from my lips

There's something out there
I can't resist
I need to hide away from the pain
There's something out there
I can't resist

The sweetest song is silence
That I've ever heard
Funny how your feet
In dreams never touch the earth
In a wood full of princes
Freedom is a kiss
But the prince hides his face
From dreams in the mist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41P8UxneDJE
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

NEVER
(Written by Holly Knight, Greg Bloch, Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Sue Ennis)

Hey baby I'm talking to you
Stop yourself and listen
Some things you can never choose
Even if you try yeah
You're bangin' your head again
Cause somebody won't let you in
One chance, one love
Your chance to let me know

We can't go on
Just running away
If we stay any longer
We will surely never get away

Anything you want, we can make it happen
Stand up and turn around
Never let them shoot us down
Never, never
Never, never run away

Hey baby you know it's true
Why you bother lying when you know
That you want it too
Don't you dare deny me
Walk those legs right over here
Give me what I'm dying for
One chance, one love
Hold me down never let me go

We can't go on
Just running away
If we wait any longer
Anything you want, we can make it happen
Stand up and turn around
Never let them shoot us down
Never, never
Never, never run away
Never, never
Never, never run away

Hey baby I'm talking to you
Stop yourself and listen
Some things you can never choose
Even if you try yeah
You're bangin' your head again
Cause somebody won't let you in
One chance, one love
Your chance to let me know

We can't go on
Just running away
If we stay any longer

Oh oh never
Oh oh never

We can't go on never
We can't go on never

Oh oh never
Oh oh never

We can't go on never
We can't go on never

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWzy5q_M5Ho
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Brigade

Wild Child - The team of Ann/Nancy/Howard/Mark/Denny show their strengths here: tight rhythm playing, catchy guitar with solid tone, power vocals (of course), power harmonies. It works, and this song is an astute choice for an album opener, welcoming the listener back to hearing the band.

All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You - Well, I like the gently ringing guitar line that commences the song, but beyond that I'm just not moved by the music. It's competently executed pop craft, I'll grant you that, but unexciting. Writer Robert John "Mutt" Lange's ode to a lost one-night-stand is kind of embarrassing.

Secret - Some sweet notes in the bridge come from the guitar, here, and there's a very tidy economy of expression in the solo, commanding a lot of emotion in a rather short lead break. The lyrics? Pretty bland. The solo guitar sounds are nothing more than a brief finger exercise. Meh.

Tall, Dark, Handsome Stranger - The guitar sound from Nancy Wilson and Howard Leese is once again pleasing to me, and that's what I like best about this song. I can also say I enjoy the melody, and Ann's gusto delivery. "I was attracted by the danger, but never ever satisfied"--as rock-and-roll a line as any ever written.

I Didn't Want To Need You - I find the sound of the chorus to be irresistibly catchy. The band is tight, but holding their energy back for this one. The guitar solo is brief, but sparkling. The verses are nothing special, they represent cliches musically and lyrically. The chorus has this underlying feel that is similar to an underlying melody found in the Who's "Baba O'Riley", which may be why I like it.

The Night - Best vocals and guitars to be found so far on this album. I enjoyed the acoustic beginning that made this song instantly stand out. it has this feel of foreboding that is a magnet for my attention. Sizzling guitar tone once again makes the music worth hearing. The high-end percussion has a chime-like sound I enjoy. And I like the way the song's ending goes back to the song's beginning.

Fallen From Grace - The harmony singing produced by Richie Zito has just enough open feeling to it to make it sound a bit angelic, though there's not enough voices to make it a true choir. It fits with the "grace" part of the title. The verse music is a tad too subdued and predictable for my taste, but Ann's inflections make it grittier in a way I find improves my interest.

Under The Sky - By this point in his career, Howard had been in Heart for nearly a decade and a half, and had become truly adept at choosing the right keyboard/synth tone to really complement the song. And this song is as good an "Exhibit A" of evidence as any on the album.

Cruel Nights - A drab melody and dull lyrics manage to grind this song down to permanent obscurity. "Cruel nights without you" and all that sung in the chorus doesn't interest me, but I have to allow that I like the music leading right up to each chorus.

Stranded - Quiet acoustic beginning with flickers of sumptuous electric six-string, and Nancy's pleasant and persuasive voice pleads her case to someone wanting to bail on her. There seems to be a gentle flow of speed-up/slow-down that swings this song, and gets me to break out a little smile.

Call Of The Wild - I like the harmonica mixed into the intro. The guitars have a naturally warm vocabulary with which to speak out. The synthesizer has this minty-fresh effervescence to it. Denny and Mark execute some gleefully precise off-beats produced in some quick flaring bursts of energy. Ann sounds like she's having fun on this one, and I almost expected her to let loose with a loud howl at several points in this song.

I Want Your World To Turn - The title of this track is perfect for Nancy to sing convincingly, even with the proviso, "just for me". I like the synthesizers mixed in the background and Mark Andes' bass mixed louder. It gives the feeling of time ticking and rotations repeated, and the xylophone-sounding synth gets louder as a relationship resets. (This almost feels like a concept album about the ups-and-downs of a single relationship.)

I Love You - Rather time-worn lyrics being pasted together, here. The choice of keyboard sound is puzzling, because it doesn't mesh with the vocal style in the slightest, in my opinion. The words are given a confessional sincerity in their delivery, which in itself could be enough to justify it as the album's closer. It's like a confidential moment with the listener. Overall this song and the album on which it appears is not bad, but certainly not great.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

STRANDED
(Written by Jamie Kyle, Jeff Harrington)

Standing here helpless
Where do I go
If you leave me alone
Where do I turn now
If it don't work out
As for as I can see
This isn't the way
That you said it would be

Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
If you walk away now
You leave me empty handed
Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
Don't leave me now
Don't leave me

Wasn't it you
Who brought me here
To the place lovers go
Just look at these arms
Reaching out to you
You said that you'd always care
I just turned around
And there's nobody there

Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
If you walk away now
Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
Don't leave me now
Don't leave me

You said that you'd always care
I just turned around and there's
Nobody there

Don't leave me like
Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
If you walk away now
Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
Stranded
Don't leave me like this
Don't leave me stranded
Don't leave me like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZmJOIzTUY
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

WILD CHILD
(Written by Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Craig Joiner, Anthony Mitman)

It's too late to turn back
When the green lights flash
Too late to turn around
When the love goes down

Your fire my fate
This woman won't wait
So love beam your laser light
Get ready gonna take this flight

You're so wild
(you're wild and willing)
So wild (your spirit's free)
You're such a wild wild child
Oh baby go wild with me

Two hearts one mind
Baby you're my kind
You're too hot you're too much
You've got that personal touch

Push button play thing
Make my back door ring
Fight fire with a little fire baby
You oughta know you make this
Little girl sing

You're so wild
Oh baby go wild with me

Do your little shake baby
Rattle and roll
Ring my bell baby do my soul
Don't let the grass grow under my feet
Bang my drum baby feel my beat
You're so wild

You're so wild
Oh baby go wild with me

You're so wild
Oh baby go wild with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Nt3ff3P04
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

THE NIGHT
(Written by Denny Carmassi, Nancy Wilson, Ann Wilson, Sammy Hagar)

Deep in the darkness slumber
Endless sleep
Nothing moves inside my funeral suite
I feel the sun slip down as hunger strikes
Waking like being born
Here comes the night

All my senses awakened
By little demons
Taste the human heartbeat
Bittersweet
Bittersweet

Don't take long
To get back in the groove
Sharpen up you attitude
Get down with the moves
Don't look no stranger
In the eye
Walk across some trouble baby
Just walk on by

No tomorrow - take it right now
In the night I walk alone
In the night is where I belong
Take my flesh - I'll give you my soul
Hungry night keeps driving me on

Neon concrete jungle
Devour the weak the humble
Hear the city nocturne
Makes you burn

Oh, slip on into darkness
Sharpen up your awareness
Get your seven senses working tonight

In the night - that's where I belong

On and on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96T3RL9mUjw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Red Velvet Car

There You Go - The intro is modest low-key strumming, but it gets more gripping when Rick Markmann's bass bursts with a leaden tone of stout judgment. "There you go again in the media" gets me to wondering if this is about a specific person. The songs has a strut of confidence about it once that bass kicks in. The production is sharp and clean; I'm loving it.

WTF - Guitarist Ben Mink, who is also a producer, wanted to join Heart for an album and tour, and to produce for them, as well. He definitely makes his mark on the band's history, for this is an album full of well-crafted songs, several of them credited to Ann, Nancy, and Ben. The music on this track has a nice, lively punch to it.

Red Velvet Car - Ben M.'s arrangement on the strings certainly has them sounding very emotional, particularly on the early part of this song. Ann's voice still sounds lovely even when she's singing quietly in a moderate pitch. The band plays in slow mode for the verse, and the switch to a more energetic mode for the chorus manages to seem both surprising and fitting.

Queen City - I've noticed that Ann's voice now has kind of a gravelly crunch to it, good for expressing worry in lyrics about trying to stay afloat. It sounds like the strings work pretty well for a Heart song being mixed farther down into the background, as well as they did in the foreground for the previous song. Also mixed lower, Nancy's supporting vocals sound more ethereal than usual.

Hey You - The sybarite in me just wanted to flow with the country/folk picking and the harmony vocals the first time through and pronounce it all good based on nothing else. But on another listen, I picked up on dramatic volume increases on guitar just when it was needed to crank up the song's energy level. And that energy level in the song gets increased one shimmering flicker at a time. My hat's off to Ben Mink and his production skills. Then there's Nancy's rosy voice to spice this up right. So far on this album, it's been one good song after another.

Wheels - Ann has always had a good snarl in her vocal repertoire, and this song shows she still knows when to employ it to best highlight the sentiment of the lyrics. The bouncy rhythm and the glistening timbre of the guitars give the whole proceedings an epicurean abandon. The music generates this wild feeling of liberating adventure.

Safronia's Mark - Good if you like mid-tempo rockers with the rhythm provided by a strumming acoustic guitar. If you can enjoy that, you can appreciate how well Ann's vigorous and slightly rugged voice blends with the music. And then you have the lyrics that sound like they're relaying to us the life of a legend. I like the dobro sounds from guest Craig Bartok, also.

Death Valley - Nice solid thumping from drummer Ben Smith. As with other songs on the album, it's a blend of acoustic and electric guitars, and I tend to be biased in favor of that folk-meets-hard-rock blend. Ann does her best high note yet on the album, and she does as stunning a job as ever. I like the musical change that occurs on this song's outro.

Sunflower - Some sunny singing about soon stirring staunch power within the sunflower. Uh, okay, something like that. Some lap steel from Ben M. turns out to be suitable for enhancing the song's mood, as does bringing back the strings for this one. It amost has a country flavor, this song, except for the drum thumping more characteristic of rock.

Sand - A quiet beginning to this song is accomplished by Ann singing in her low range while Nancy and Ben M ply labor on a pair of acoustics. It all slowly builds up with the drums and bass coming in first subtlely (almost inaudibly, for me). It goes from a sparse sound to a glowing full sound for the band, and manages to be a fitting "au revoir" from the band to the listener.

Verdict: This 2010 release from Heart is one of their best.
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

HEY YOU
(Written by Nancy Wilson, Ben Mink)

You've been down this lonely road
You have kissed the face of sorrow
You have bought what you've been sold
But you still will buy tomorrow

You are one of a kind
You are some kind of find
Hey you

Hey you
Until the heavens and the stars refuse to shine
Hey you
Until the darkness and the light decide to rhyme
Hey you
Until forever and a day run out of time
Hey you

I swear by my September stars
I will go where you are going
Forever's never very far
As my love is overflowing

With your cards up in your sleeve
Did you fumble with your keys?
Hey you

Hey you
Until the heavens and the stars refuse to shine
Hey you
Until the darkness and the light decide to rhyme
Hey you
Until forever and a day run out of time
Hey you

Na na na na na na na na na na
Na na na na na
Hey you

Na na na na na
Chilly wind and wanderlust
I been out here for so long
Choking on the diamond dust
And the symphony is gone, gone, gone
Are you tangled in the trees?
Did it bring you to your knees?
Have you had enough of me?
Hey you

Hey you
Hey you
Hey you

Na na na na na
Hey you

Na na na na na
Hey you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHm86uPaFr0
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

SAFRONIA'S MARK
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Craig Bartok)

Down the winding alley ways of Soto
Where the rain is painting down the streets
Where she's walkin' every morning
I don't know

Though her eyes are far away, she looks at you
Through her windows, darkness she don't see
Secrets in her keeping, solitary
Just a fleeting glimpse like floating out to sea

Safronia's marked, she took the sting
She's fillin' the colors in under her skin
Safronia's heart with only one wing
How can she fly
How can she fly on a broken wing
That carries the stain of everything
Safronia's soul is wandering
She just walks on by

Suddenly she's standing there before you
Reaching out her arms just like a child
Her face is like a door you wanna walk on through
And somethin' deep inside just might belong to you

Safronia's mark, she took the sting
She's fillin' the colors in under her skin
How can she fly
How can she fly with a broken wing
Safronia's soul is wandering
Walks on by

Hey, Safronia's marked, she took the sting
She's fillin' the colors in underneath the skin
How can she fly
How can she fly with a broken wing
Safronia's soul, oh yeah
She just walks on by
She just walks on by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-Lup8FTi4
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

WTF
(Written by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Craig Bartok, Ben Mink)

How much talking does it take
Talking 'bout your bad mistakes
Gonna to talk you wide awake
Talk until your ego breaks

The past is dust undo concern
There's hell to pay and it's your turn
The hardest thing you'll ever learn
Is what bridge to cross and what bridge to burn
What bridge to cross and what bridge to burn
(What bridge to cross and what bridge to burn)

How much talking does it take
Talking 'bout your bad mistakes
Gonna to talk you wide awake
Talk until your ego breaks
What's the matter with you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZPauP1bUE
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Passionworks

How Can I Refuse - Passionworks is the first Heart album released after Ann and Nancy and Howard voted to oust bassist Steve Fossen and drummer Michael DeRosier. Incoming members Mark Andes (bass) and Denny Carmassi (drums--a solid player who nevertheless is no Michael DeRosier) soon expressed concerns as to how fully they would be regarded as members, because they wished to contribute to songwriting. Lack of interest in the creative process was part of why Heart dumped DeRosier and Fossen, so Mark and Denny were assured that contributions were encouraged. This song is a result of the five of them working together on writing soon after the issue was settled, and I've always liked the straightforwardness of this song. It spells out what's needed to keep love flowing for the song's viewpoint character. The words lay all the cards on the table, so to speak. The video they made to accompany this song is silly, but the song is great in its own understated way.

Blue Guitar - I'm liking the volume transition from low guitars in the verse (so we can better hear Ann's story) to louder guitars in the choruses and bridge (so we can feel we're rocking while absorbing where the story is going). I'm not loving the melody of either the chorus or the bridge; both have my attention languishing because they sound so conventional. I like the harmonics at song's end, though.

Johnny Moon - Slow and brooding, this song. The guitars invite a more reflective atmosphere, but the keyboard noise Howard Leese serves up adds irregular jolts to the listener's sensibility, because they really don't sound like they are anything but discordant with the rest of the music. I suppose that's the point, to add suspense. The three-note outro is a surprise.

Sleep Alone - The chorus sounds great, with powerful harmonies, snappy rhythm, and some fine-edged rock guitar. The band gets to rock out elsewhere as well in this song, but the guitars seem to me to be inappropriately subdued within the verses. I enjoy the busy bass and the plethora of well-timed drum fills. This song is almost good.

Together Now - Nice harmony singing and a bit of satisfied cheerfulness is wrung out of the guitar line. Guitar tones in the verses aptly reflect a feeling of aspiration. Yet the chorus is much too repetitive and the bridge is a dud that lasts for a few wasted seconds. This song has a rushed or unfinished feel to it.

Allies- This song by Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain has appealing little piano flourishes in its melody, so that's one thing I like. I've blamed Cain for taking Journey down to a blander level of pop-rock when he replaced Greg Rolie. But I feel the need to step back, and admit that Cain has sometimes come up with melodies I can appreciate, like in "Stone In Love" or "Escape". The song has some good emotional moments, like the loud two-note punch delivered by the band after one of the piano flourishes, and of course good moments provided by the singing.

(Beat By) Jealousy - Guitar whining passes for melody in the verse, but the fast cymbal notes at the end of each sustained guitar note keep me grudgingly content rather than increasingly irritated. So that's something. The chorus fits the verse well enough to make this track work so far, but the bridge section would be boring without searing high notes from Ann. The solo: guitars glimmer with excitement, then disappointingly "wink out" to the verse before it feels emotionally complete. Sigh.

Heavy Heart - I like the way Mark's bass is mixed in this, for it's got depth and a bit of crackling buzz about it. The music is pleasant mid-tempo rock, but nothing that makes me really want to hum along or tap my hands or feet. The vocals are well-produced here, giving them especially good clarity and edge during the harmony moments. "Heavy Heart" manages to be a little bit heart-lifting, after all.

Love Mistake - The pensive and reflective guitar (probably played by Howard, but I can't be sure) framing Nancy's lead vocals have the effect of getting me to pay more attention to the words and how Nancy emphasizes them. There are some surprising changes in music as this tune progresses, but it's a pleasant surprise where all the parts fit, instead of an unpleasant jarring effect. Ann's vocal echoes of Nancy's singing fall somewhat flat.

Language Of Love - The bright and bold guitar tone at the start make me think this song will perhaps stir my interest. Alas, the track doesn't live up to the promise of its intro. Oh, about those Heart vocal harmonies I usually praise when reviewing one of their songs: they sound subpar here. When Ann and Nancy are both singing in their low range loudly, the blend doesn't sound so good. Really.

Ambush - An unusual sound to hear in a Heart song is present here: a nasal-sounding synthesizer with a dance club vibration about it along with a hard rock feel from the rest of the music. Maybe the band was thinking of making this sound more suspenseful by adding that type of synth tone. The cutting guitar sound answering the synth makes the song more galvanizing, as does Denny's hard thumping.

Three albums out from booting guitarist Roger Fisher and his soundman brother Mike, and Heart is still struggling to find their sound on this 7th album, despite the fact that Ann and Nancy are unquestionably the most important members, and were from the start. This is a transitional album, which is a polite way to say a relatively weak album. After this, the band would solve its directional crisis by going more fully pop and bringing in outside writers to regain lost popularity. It would work out realy well for them on their next album, Heart, commercially at least.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I remember How Can I Refuse getting some tepid airplay. It suffered from having the same opening guitar as Judas Priest's You've Got Another Thing Coming, which automatically triggered disappointment when it came on.

Heart's '80s output was hampered by a couple of things, most notably the image-driven hit machine of MTV. When you've got a band fronted by two hot chicks, you damn well have to have them front and center, and you have to make sure their songs chart. There's some very good material of theirs from that decade.

But it's also pretty toothless. Howard Leese just wasn't an engaging player; they lost their hard edge (with some exceptions, Wild Child's a kick-ass song), and they became more of a pop band.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

ALLIES
(Written by Jonathan Cain)

In troubled times
It's hard to get straight answers
Between the lines
That border wrong or right
The homeland cries
It struggles with confusion
But this feelin' still remains