Could you make the descent from Kevin's Watch?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Could you have made the descent down Kevin's Watch?

Definitely: No problem at all. I don't mind heights. Piece of Cake.
46%
No freaking way. I'd starve to death before I could muster the courage.
8%
I don't have any way of knowing for sure. I'd have to be there.
31%
I would call the Eagles to fetch me down!
15%

Total votes: 13

aTOMiC
Lord

Could you make the descent from Kevin's Watch?

Post by aTOMiC »

One of the most memorable moments that left a very distinct impression on me when I first read Lord Foul's Bane was the scene where Covenant finally agrees to make the climb down from Kevin's Watch. The narrative paints a rather unimaginable picture for anyone not just Thomas Covenant. A relatively narrow column of stairs cut into the side of a stone cylinder angling out away from the side of a mountain that places the Watch itself thousands of feet above the valley below. The stairs have no railing, its essentially an exposed ladder that is angled just enough that each step is slightly below and away from the one above. Covenant must navigate this harrowing scenario without being able to properly feel his fingers, without any feeling in his feet and only three fingers on one hand. AND fighting vertigo the entire way. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't want to have anything to do with making a descent of this kind under any conditions. However TC managed it because he really had no other choice. Thankfully Lena was there to assist however she could which at least provided a bit of moral support.

For me given the same circumstances I have to admit I'd be forced to take on the descent but if it weren't in any way a life and death situation I definitely would avoid it all costs.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I have acrophobia, so it would be difficult for me. I picked the "I'd have to be there" option.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cord Hurn wrote:I have acrophobia, so it would be difficult for me. I picked the "I'd have to be there" option.
In truth that is probably the most logical response. No one ever really knows how they would react under stress. At least not for certain.

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

no problems with heights, I would rather not starve to death, so down is the only way to go.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I suffer from vertigo.. One step is all I would have to make and I would be down...

The first book was made out that it was hard to get down.
But the third book Saltheart made the trek, so it would have to be determined how large and wide the steps were.
Add the slope of the decent would have to be known.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Ur Dead wrote:I suffer from vertigo.. One step is all I would have to make and I would be down...

But the third book Saltheart made the trek, so it would have to be determined how large and wide the steps were.
Watch that first step. Its a doozy. :biggrin:

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

No way! Lena would have to have brought me food and shelter and my entire time in the Land would have been spent on the Watch (until the Haruchai bundled me kicking and screaming onto their shoulders and carried me down). :hairs:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Ur Dead wrote:I suffer from vertigo.. One step is all I would have to make and I would be down...

The giant had advantages---not least, the giantish affinity for stone and a ton of experience.
Having been forced to confront my own issues a couple times---naked heights like cliffs and ladders above the second story being one of them---I could probably force myself to make the descent...but there is a reasonably high risk I'd have a heart attack on the way down, and would need a day or two of "I'll just lie here in the fetal position, if you don't mind" recovery after reaching the bottom.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Most of my life I didn't think I had issues with heights until I bought a house with vaulted ceilings. The fluorescent light fixtures above the kitchen rose to about 20 feet above the floor. One day the light went out and I was faced with having to replace it. I didn't think there would be any problem so I borrowed a really tall ladder and proceeded up until I got near the light. Then it hit me. I looked down and suddenly realized just how high I was and began to feel dizzy. I had no idea I had a problem until that moment.

I would ultimately have made it down from Kevin's Watch but it would be the most difficult thing I would have to do...until having to battle Cavewights and Ur-viles and of course facing Lord Foul.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ur Dead wrote:The first book was made out that it was hard to get down.
AFAICT the only person who had an issue with ascending and descending the Watch was Covenant.

I would probably be terrified. But I am not surprised that Stonedowners and Giants handle it better than I would.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It's an interesting contrast between real life and fantasy. We often read fantasy as a form of escapism, and sometimes indulge in thoughts such as, "I wish I lived there, that would be so cool..."

But what we don't realize is that some of the simplest tasks characters in these books do would be the hardest obstacle we would ever face! And we have not even thought about the epic tasks!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Kevin's Watch, I think, is set at that nasty point where a stair becomes a ladder: it demands a weight distribution at the beastly 'tipping point' between leaning towards the next step or actively hauling yourself up it. This and the vertiginous drop surrounding you make it an especially harrowing experience. I'd stay at the top and have the land-dwellers cater to my every need until Drool threw his hands up in despair and sent me home. Definitely.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I've often wondered if there is a metaphoric significance to the decent of Kevin's Watch being the gateway into the Land.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I like Lindens way down the the best actually. A lot faster. :D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I think the method Hile Troy attempted after seeing how big Foul's army was may be the fastest. :-)

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

The max height I've ever climbed is just over 170m (approx 600'), I've abseiled off 45m cliff face, climbed up terrifying chimneys (two parallel rock faces) and have always been 😱 terrified of heights! I reckon I'd give it a fair crack - even as old as I am 😏

I suffer from stupid syndrome... 😏 I always think I can do things I'm really passed doing lol .. we had a visitor a while back and she wanted to take a pic of a koala up in a eucalypt tree .. I immediately said ' no worries, I'll take it ' LOL 😂 yup - I started up the tree, my footing slipped and yup .. I fell flat on my back looking up into my mate's faces!!!

We're providing respite foster care to three wee barras under 10 .. they're very energetic lol .. we went to a lovely spot with sloping hillsides and I squealed out to them, ' let's roly poly down the slopes ' .. to be honest I love roly polies - so was pretty excited about my brilliant idea 😏 .. I had a ball rolling down the slopes with the kids .. felt a little rough and sore after .. then oooh it hurt to breathe! Oh feck me, I've only gone and bruised my .. now oh so geriatric delicate ribs!!! 😂 .. I could go on .. took the kids to the snow last weekend and now .. well.. you know ☃️⛄️☃️⛄️☃️⛄️☃️

There's a connection that I severed in my brain that communicates common sense to mellow rash thoughts ... I don't think I've ever had that connection, loose wire somewhere I guess.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I would find it extremely difficult, but starvation and thirst would probably drive me to it. I don't know if I'd be physically able to descend, however. I would probably fall.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I could and would. I'm quite fond of heights. If Covenant could do it with his handicaps, it's doable.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'm doing the roof sales thing again, helping to repair damage from Irma in Florida. Even doing this for a living, I hate that first step off the roof to the ladder. Once you're on it, it's fine. Going up is also fine. But the transition from having your weight firmly planted on one surface and then dangling it out--backwards--to a ladder is frightening. I don't like it one bit.

If you've ever had someone toss you something small from a height of even 20 feet off the ground, you'll get a good idea how quickly gravity can accelerate an object from a very short distance. A fall from even 20 feet would be devastating to the human body.

I'd make the decent from KW, but I'd be grumbling Hellfire all the way down.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

No freaking way. I'd starve to death before I could muster the courage.
I would probably just jump. :bounce03: :S ... no silly emoji's... I meant jump off. Doh!

"A true friend doesn't care when you're broke, having the worst day ever, what you weigh, if your home is a mess, what you drive, about your past or if your family is full of crazy people. Your conversations pick up from where they left off, even if it has been months (or even years) apart. They love you; for who you are." :S

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”