THE MAN WHO FOUGHT ALONE Thread

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Dragonlily
Lord

THE MAN WHO FOUGHT ALONE Thread

Post by Dragonlily »

We thought we'd try to organize the useful MAN WHO information into specific threads for each book. I'm starting a thread with this because it was getting lost in a thread where it had nothing to do with the topic name. :)

THE MAN WHO FOUGHT ALONE
Stephen R. Donaldson
Forge, Nov 2001
Jan 2002 Review by Joy Calderwood

Mystery, Martial Arts

Stephen Donaldson has a genius for words, a ruthless and all-encompassing empathy, and a world class left hook to the reader’s solar plexus. That expressed, the fan begins to exercise self-control. Here we go.

In THE MAN WHO FOUGHT ALONE, “Brew” Axbrewder is recovering from a serious wound and the end of a destructive relationship. Unemployed in an unfamiliar city, he takes a job as extra security, during a display of valuable antiques at a martial arts tournament. Brew is accustomed to win his fights with a combination of skill, bulk, and determination, so at first he looks on the contestants as toy fighters. Gradually he learns to respect them, and, believing that the murder of the Chief of Security is related to the antiques he guards, Brew accepts a position as security consultant for the martial arts center. Murder escalates to deadly riot, with Brew in the middle. Donaldson gives us the essential clue two thirds of the way through the book, but how the hell is Brew going to bring this killer down? Don’t worry, there is plenty of suspense to come.

It has been days since I read FOUGHT, but the characters are still keeping me close company. Discerning, empathic character development is one of Donaldson’s strongest points. Brew Axbrewder has been on a long journey about learning to trust himself, and as always with Brew, the author has caught his tone so perfectly you would think he had been there. Among the other people who insinuate themselves from FOUGHT into our own awareness is Brew’s former partner Ginny, also recovering from a maiming that has cost her self-confidence. Ginny’s boss, Marshall Viviter, charming but Brew’s natural rival, is very helpful to Brew, and Brew can’t figure out why. We meet Brew’s new boss, a developer who appears to have over-reached himself, and a curvaceous, intelligent insurance executive whose friendliness to Brew is completely unexpected. The head of the combined martial arts association is the dangerous Anson Sternway, a fighter so accomplished he awes most of his associates. Sternway’s divorce problems may be damaging his effectiveness. Each of the martial arts masters and several of their students are presented as unique individuals, though at first I almost had to take notes to keep their names and schools straight.

There is a good deal of introductory description of various schools of martial arts. The author has presented sufficient information to give a psychological basis for some of his suspects and troublemakers, but even that much is enough to make the pacing fail, in a lull between events. Some martial artists might take exception to the behavior of certain members of this fictional martial arts community. In his note Donaldson makes a special point of his disclaimer – the “not based on anyone I know” section – and he holds a black belt himself.

The previous three books of this series were very noir indeed. Brew Axbrewder is so well developed and true that we knew that but for the grace of God that could be us. There is an obvious spiritual change in the eleven years since the last Man Who book, and it most likely has to do with the author taking up the study of the Shotokan martial art form. His focus used to be on heroism: the despairing heroism of his Thomas Covenant series, the unconscious heroism of the Man Who series, and the awe-inspiring heroism of The Gap. Now he is reaching beyond, to redemption, and the heroism that is willing not to be alone. THE MAN WHO FOUGHT ALONE is a spiritual journey that is effective partly because it happens so naturally.

With his writing Donaldson can hit like a hammer any time he chooses, because he has made the situations so real, the people so deep, and the words so right. In FOUGHT, his hammer blows have become delicate touches with the potency of a nerve block. They stem from the special talent he has always had for metaphors and single words that lay a situation bare. There is one writing flaw in this series: he overuses the word “murmured.” So the diamond is genuine.

Stephen R. Donaldson is a major name in the science fiction world, best seller and winner of multiple awards including the John W. Campbell Award for the first book in his beautifully written, heart-wrenching Thomas Covenant fantasy series. His hard science fiction series The Gap throws deeply complex characters into a five book long adrenaline ride, with plot twists that can leave a reader frozen in shock. Those eleven books would total genius even if you didn’t take into account his non-series writings.

Probably because of the connection of his name with science fiction, Donaldson’s publishers went to some lengths in the 1980s to hide the authorship of the first three books of this mystery series: THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, THE MAN WHO RISKED HIS PARTNER, and THE MAN WHO TRIED TO GET AWAY. There was even a misleading author bio at the backs of the books. It has only recently been publicly acknowledged who was behind the obscure pen name of Reed Stephens and a series that received very little public attention. Now with the disguise revealed and the increased popularity of noir mystery, they are being republished under the author’s own name.

Originally published on the Independent Reviews Site
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
arabisha

Post by arabisha »

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed The Man Who Fought Alone even though I haven't read the others yet. (30 miles to the nearest new bookstore and can't find them in the used stores.) I like the fact that its in first person as this builds a fast intimacy with the main character. I normally don't bother reading mysteries. Even if they have great plots the characters tend to be so thin you can see through them. Hehe I didn't worry about THAT for one minute. The setting was nice for a change as well. The scene that sticks out most in my mind is of the main character driving in bad weather, freezing but can't turn on the heat because it screws up the windshield. Oh man could I identify! Nice to read about folks with more common variety problems once in awhile.
The private investigator was a good choice for SRD's style. Not many characters would be that observant about the minute shifts in mood and emotion of the people around them. I'm so glad that is included because its the number one reason I read SRD. The only other author I can think of that does as well in breathing life into their characters is Pat Conroy.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

arabisha wrote:The private investigator was a good choice for SRD's style. Not many characters would be that observant about the minute shifts in mood and emotion of the people around them. I'm so glad that is included because its the number one reason I read SRD.
Like you, I enjoy Brew's intuitiveness. I've read a number of reviewers who have trouble with it, but that's because they don't believe it's possible to perceive on that level. I was glad to see how naturally SRD treated it. It rings so true.

Arabisha, I hope you plan to try to get hold of the other mysteries? We would like to see your thoughtful posts added to the group read.
arabisha

Post by arabisha »

I found a copy of The Man Who Risked His Partner yesterday. Its a Reed Stephens copy. I enjoyed the bio in the back lol. Which one are you doing the group read on? I couldn't find any of the others. I read the first four or five chapters out loud to my husband yesterday. So far both of us are enjoying it. : ) Seems a bit more playful in the narration than The Man Who Fought Alone so far.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Check the Announcement: New Group Read thread in this forum, arabisha. We hope to keep the conversation on the various books each on their own thread (tough to do, I know), so why don't you start a thread on RISKED? I'm glad you and your husband are enjoying it. :)
Last edited by Dragonlily on Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

This post also belongs in the MAN WHO FOUGHT ALONE thread, copied from the "Favorite Characters" thread (with a bow to Darth Rader):

[This] gives me the chance to say how much I love Brew. No matter how badly he is handling life, even when he wants to die (THE MAN WHO TRIED TO GET AWAY), he can always be recalled to life by the need to rescue someone.

THE MAN WHO FOUGHT ALONE is a strong contender for my favorite SRD book, partly because of the personality changes Brew goes through in it. We get to see that the basic Brew, before he was messed up, is a very good guy indeed. When he gets an inkling of what is going on inside martial arts thinking, some wonderful things start to happen.

I have my doubts about Brew's lady in FOUGHT, because they have so little in common, but no doubts at all that Brew deserves a good romance. Unlike the way he is in everyday life, in romance he's chivalrous, protective, honest, ardent, understanding to an acute degree, and he has some delightful quirks.

We've never seen SRD write seductive before FOUGHT.
Trying not to hyperventilate, I sifted through the crowd toward her.
"I wondered how much longer I'd survive without seeing you again."
Deborah Messenger had said 6:30, so I didn't start watching the doors until 5:15. And I didn't actually hold my breath until a little before six.
In a fog of enchantment, as it were, I evaporated from the dais and condensed beside her.
Irresistible. :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I totally agree. Like I've said before, I have a few nitpicks with the plot, but this is still my favorite of the books.

I didn't really care for Ginny (in a sense) in the 2nd book, and I don't think the 3rd would've helped. I was glad to see Brew hooking up with a hot babe.

The whole crowd bit was great. I'd love to see a later book where Brew has some training.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Just finished it yesterday and what an amazing read. A great work! I love the metamorphosis that Brew is going through, he is actually coming out on the brighter side of life! I didn't expect that. The "picking out the pick-up" scene is great. The philosophical discussions going on are great too, very subtly incorporated in the story...Loved it!

kasten
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I loved it! :D :D :D :D :D

Good to see Brew getting a fresh start in a new city!!. Just like Puerta del Sol is Albuquerque, I kept thinking that Carner might be Los Vegas??

I hope that he studies with Nakahatchi sensei and his dojo. I think the concepts of honor and the philosophy and emotional discipline he is learning there are one of the best things that could happen for Brew. 8) The fighting skills certainly couldn't hurt, either. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Isn't that good? You begin to get an idea of what he might be like when he spreads his wings. :D
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

I gave this book to my Dad, as the first book I've ever really liked that I think he might actually enjoy too. I'm still waiting to hear from him about it.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I just got through reading this over the weekend. I must admit, I really did like it. I have not read any of the other books. I may just have to do that now. Is it about the same character or are there different ones in each?
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

It is about the same character. He goes through a major character arc -- as one would expect from SRD.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Cool. I will have to go to Half Price on my lunch to pick up more of them.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

-me

- Garfield

"We live we love

-"We Live"
by Superchick
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Dagnabit! They didn't have any of them! I bought "The Man Who Fought Alone" there last week, but I looked in mystery, scifi/fantasy and regualr fiction under Donaldson as well as Stevens. DOH! Is it Stephens? Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg!

-me

- Garfield

"We live we love

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

My book superstore files them in science fiction under Donaldson. Did you ask someone if they had them warehoused?
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I asked, but the kid at the counter was not real bright. I have a friend that works at a Half Price near my home. I also have a friend that works at a Barnes and Noble. I was also looking for "Gilden-Fire," but so far no luck.

-me

- Garfield

"We live we love

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

You will probably find the book of Gilden-Fire on the internet at a collector's (read "high") price. Or you can check available editions of DAUGHTER OF REGALS. SRD was incensed at the sale of Gilden-Fire alone, especially at its astronomical price, so he added it into DAUGHTER OF REGALS when it was going into a new printing. Just look to make sure the edition of DoR you get has Gilden-Fire in it.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Cool! Will do!

-me

- Garfield

"We live we love

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam