Esselmont: Path To Ascendancy

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Esselmont: Path To Ascendancy

Post by Avatar »

So, just finished Dancer's Lament, the first book of this series, and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

Yes, it was an easy read after the tortured nightmare that is the Kharkanas books, but it was pretty well paced and fun.

Somebody remind me where we encountered Silk and Ryllanderas and Heng in the main books?

Was really interesting to get the backstory on Dancer, and see the beginning of the Talons, not to mention meeting a young Baudin the elder...also interesting seeing Nightchill again.

All in all, fun. Wish the rest were out already.

I'm horribly afraid I'm going to end up doing a Malazan re-read as a result...already started Night of Knives.

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I didn't like it anywhere near as much as an Erikson book :)

But I think the story is fitting because it's about kellanved and dancer when they were just folks. I was thinking recently about how the stories seem more concretely human and sensible. Character helps stop an army from invading your city - good. Character helps stop a crime gang from exploiting some children - good. It might not all end there, but in a world where villainy isn't constantly compounding in some mad array, it's probably a good thing.

It's not like when Kellam rescues a bunch of children and then Shadowthrone turns them into a demon-mothered army. Makes me think of the Holy Thursday poems from Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience.

You know what my biggest question now is after bouncing through a couple of your posts? Wouldn't it be cool if an imaginative malazan reader could prove that shadowthrone and cotillion were existent ascendants pre kellanved and dancer?

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: Don't think I've ever really seen any ambiguity that would lead to that conclusion.

(Anyone know when the next one is out?)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Next one is out. :D

--A
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Indeed it is! I'm enjoying them quite a bit. As you say, nothing like the tortured nightmare of the Kharkanas books. And much easier reads than the Fallen series. But it's really great to see the beginnings of all these characters and events. We get Dassem's origin, and some great action. We get so many characters meeting each other for the first time. Cowl is great. All in all, very good stuff!

Av, they were in RotCG.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, looking forward to it. :) Must get it...

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, finished Deadhouse Landing and immediately wanted the next book. :D

Enjoyed it just as much as the previous one. Interesting to see Tayschrenn's "origin" story, although we did know the gist of it before.

I'm really impressed by how his whole character arc is handled throughout the wider series. We start off believing he's a bad guy, then he turns out not to have been so bad, and having reasons for being bad, and maybe even redeeming himself.

Similar to Surly's story maybe, which was also an interesting one to see the start of, not to mention Dujeck and "Jack." :D

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i'm waaaaaay behind.

I've only read the first kharkanas book!
haven't read fall of light OR dancer's lament!! yikes!

and now with the news that the kharkanas trilogy is on hold until after the karas orlong trilogy I probably won't read fall of light yet.
I really loved night of knives and return of the crimson guard but the other esselmont books didn't really grab me like those first two.
however i'm told that dancer's lament is very good. i'll probably read that one next. creator has listened to them all thus far on audible.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Avatar wrote:Well, finished Deadhouse Landing and immediately wanted the next book. :D

Enjoyed it just as much as the previous one. Interesting to see Tayschrenn's "origin" story, although we did know the gist of it before.

I'm really impressed by how his whole character arc is handled throughout the wider series. We start off believing he's a bad guy, then he turns out not to have been so bad, and having reasons for being bad, and maybe even redeeming himself.

Similar to Surly's story maybe, which was also an interesting one to see the start of, not to mention Dujeck and "Jack." :D

--A
wait....WHAT? tay and surly's origin stories?????? ooookay...I guess i'd better get busy reading right away!!! hahaha!!!! :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Avatar wrote:Well, finished Deadhouse Landing and immediately wanted the next book. :D
--A
Well fuck .. didnt you JUST start it a day or so ago 🤷‍♀️
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

lucimay wrote:wait....WHAT? tay and surly's origin stories?????? ooookay...I guess i'd better get busy reading right away!!! hahaha!!!! :D
You better. :D (The Kharkanas books really aren't doing it for me anyway...such hard reads.)
Skyweir wrote: Well fuck .. didnt you JUST start it a day or so ago 🤷‍♀️
Well yes, but it was disappointingly short...only a bit over 300 pages.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:lol: ols ok 😎
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Right, finished the final book in the Path To Ascendancy trilogy, Kellanved's Reach.

Just as good as the previous two. More origin stories, including Kellanved's seizing of the First Throne of the T'lan Imass, and our first ever meeting with Onos T'oolan, First Sword of the First Empire, and guardian of said throne. :D

Also origins for Greymane, Shimmer, Skinner, Possum, Fingers and Blues, Hairlock, Heboric, and probably a couple others I've forgotten. :D

Also something interesting...

Y'know how the prologue to GotM starts:

1154th Year of Burn's Sleep
96th Year of the Malazan Empire
Last Year of Emperor Kellanved's Reign

Right?

Well, when Heboric meets him, he mentions that by ancient tradition, empires are dated from the year of birth of the first Emperor, not the date of conquest or whatever.

And after a bit of hemming and hawing, Kellanved officially "sets" his date of birth as 70 years prior.

That means the 96th Year of the Malazan Empire is actually only 26 years after Kellanved names himself emperor.

(Following the conquest of Heng, which we also see.)

All in all, really enjoyed these, heading back into a full re-read again. Might as well, no other incoming new books on my horizon.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh man I can't wait!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Well, more than a year later, I finished today. :lol: It only took a couple days to read, it just took more than a year to start. Hey, I've been busy!

So much a fan of the trilogy! Loved all the origins. Yeah, Blues was great.

Skinner was a surprise, even though we really didn't get much.

Interesting how the First Throne was handled. Especially enjoyed what happened just before he sat on it. And, obviously, seeing the T'lan Imass for the first time, and one lad in particular, was excellent.

I was pleasantly surprised by the dynamic between all of them. Especially Surly. Wasn't what I expected, and I feel less annoyed at her for having "killed" them later.

Always always always wish there was more action with Dassem.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul

Post by Avatar »

Haha, yeah, sometimes I wonder if the Esselmont books are actually better...they're certainly an easier read usually.

Actually been considering hitting these for a 3rd read recently. :D

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”