Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Angus' worst crime?

Post by Revan »

What do you think it was?
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Tough one, there's a fair bit of competition.

There's those miners he killed in cold blood, the stuff he did to Morn, the people he sold to the amnion and lets not forget the murder of defenceless old lady Norna Fasner...

I think I'll go with the amnion fodder.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

how can you separate any of those? They are all essentially the same act...(except for the killing of Norna, which I don't consider a crime at all)
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Yeah, I'd call the 'Norna Act' more of a euthenasia thing. But as many pointed out in the books, selling someone's genetic identity to the amnion was the most horrific (to the characters anyway). Still, the degredation of Morn is, in my mind the worst. :evil:
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Nav wrote:lets not forget the murder of defenceless old lady Norna Fasner...
hmmm.... I don't think that was his worst crime... I think it showed her mercy... Would you want to be in Norna Fasner's place... She wanted to die anyways...
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I think it's between selling people to the Amnioni and what he did to Morn...
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Hmm, maybe I should have :D that last one.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

:twisted:
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Darth Revan wrote:I think it's between selling people to the Amnioni and what he did to Morn...

Yes. I vote for selling the people, because it involved more than one person.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I agree. yet I think they were both truly evil acts...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I found his first crime to have the most impact on my feelings for the character. After he killed the miners and the incident with Morn's family.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

he didn't touch Morns family... that was Morn who did that... Or rather it was Morn's Gap Sickness... Though Angus had kiled her father...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

It's a toss up to me between the horrible things he did in the Real Story and selling those poor souls to the Amnion... :(
Love as thou wilt.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I think selling the people to the Amnion was the worst. Rape is atrocious, but being converted into Amnion is worse.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Well, its more than the rape...its killing those miners in cold blood, killing the blinded Capt. Davies, and then turning Morn into a zone-implanted slave, including, of course, raping her repeatedly... :(
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Morn kept saying that even more important to her than her son, was her humanity. She clearly considered the facilitation of mutating people into Amnion to be the worst thing of all, bar none.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Lets just face it... Angus was a bastard, and many crimes he committed, we did not know about... they were all as bad as one another...
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

What do you mean "Defenseless Murder of Norma Fasner"?! That was probably the only time we ever get a clear view of Angus' newly developed Conscience.
My God, she is in the crib
Angus knows exactly what torture it is for her to live, and acts on his conscience. In fact, he feels so strongly her pain that he destroys every piece of equipment in the room. Regardless of what you believe the morality of Euthanasia is, the fact that Angus was able to feel such strong empathy for someone was extremely profound.

And she ASKED him to do it!

I think Angus' greatest crime was the 24 people he gave to the Amnion. That was almost as bad a Sorus' betrayal. Like Sorus however, he redeemed his soul. Also, Mark Vestibule, the progeny of this act, got a bullet in his god forsaken Brain.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

It has been a while since I have read this series. It is obviously time for a re-read. (Gotta keep myself busy for the next 2 years or so 'til Fatal Revenant). But I seem to think along these lines :

Without Angus' sale of the miners to the Amnion, he never gains the knowledge of how to edit datacores, presumabely the only human that knows how to manage this. The edit of his own datacore is what gives him free will to basically put an end to the UMCP and Amnion threat to mankind. Therefore, I believe that the end justifies the means. Yes, Angus had no idea at the time that his ability to edit datacores would one day possibly save the human race. But what would have happened if he never had that ability?

Next...

Should he had never inserted the zone implant into Morn, her mind would have been gone by the results of the force growing on Davies. Without Morn, who would champion the fight to the UMCP or the Amnion? Again, Angus' actions were not by his intentions of saving the human race, but the end does once again justify the means.

Now it has been probably about five years since I last re-read the series, so if I am very likely to have missed something here. But that is how I seem to remember thinking about Angus' crimes at the end of the series. As a justification to his crimes, he saved the human race.

His worst crime to me was the way that he basically led Pup down the path to ruin. Pup could have been saved. His plight could have been avoided. Angus took his fears and emotions and twisted those to his goals, and took the poor kid and led him to believe that suicide was his only road to salvation.

Anyway...just my opinions...
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

But that suicide ended with the destruction of the direct Amnion threat at Earth.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]

Return to “The Gap Series”