Logan

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Logan

Post by Cail »

I'm not a comic book fan, and I don't seek out comic book movies. I can't tell you a thing about MCU continuity, and frankly I don't care about it.

I saw the first two X-Men movies specifically for the female stars (y'all know what I'm talking about), and I saw the last Wolverine movie with my stepson, because parenting.

So I wasn't really looking forward to Logan. But I started hearing about how good it was, and how it didn't pull any punches. So when a friend suggested that we take the kids to see it, I didn't say no.

Wow. This is a brutal, no-holds-barred movie. I groaned when children were introduced to the story, since kids ruin action movies (Aliens, T2), but nope, no ruining whatsoever.

The story follows a similar line as Shane, but it does so in it's own way. The action is gripping, the setup is decent (to someone who doesn't care about the MCU), and though the climax is telegraphed from the beginning, it's a good ride getting there. The pacing is good, other than a 15-20 minute drag through the middle, and the ending, while not great, is really the only ending possible.

But what really makes this a winner is that it's a superhero movie that isn't a superhero movie. There are no costumes, and the Fate of the World is never at stake. It's a personal movie, damn near a character-driven drama. A bloody one, to be sure, but it's all about the characters. And none of the faux-gritty BS of the Nolan Batman films.

So thumbs up from me, glad I saw it, and I think this could possibly be my favorite superhero movie after the first Superman.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Cool.Something in the previews made me think it would be good. I plan on seeing it next week w/my 14 y/o.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just saw it tonight, it's a damn good movie.
Spoiler
I kinda think the whole Wolverine-clone thing was a bit too comic-book-y, but other than that, it's excellent.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I saw it Saturday night - awesome movie. The relationship between Charles and Logan was very well portrayed.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Logan

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Cail wrote:I can't tell you a thing about MCU continuity, and frankly I don't care about it.
You should be glad to know, then, that the X-Men movies are not part of the MCU because of franchise licensing. Unlike Sony, who decided to cash out and let Spider-Man be part of the MCU, Fox is holding on to all its X-Men movie licensing until they finally decide they have had enough and sell out, also. Since this was Jackman's last movie as Wolverine (at least, that's what I heard) that time is probably approaching fairly quickly.

You have to love the X-Men movie franchise, though. It is the only movie franchise to date to retcon itself; by default, this makes Bryan Singer the only director to retcon his earlier movies. No...wait...Paramount, who owns Star Trek, allowed its franchise to retcon itself, as well--I stand corrected.

We were going to go see this movie last weekend but other plans arose.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Logan is by far the best Wolverine movie. I can see Fox doing more movies; there's still several other characters that would work well on film.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I totally loved Logan .. not quite what I was hoping the story would go .. but it was good. It's not a bad thing I guess for Logan to ... but there was a spark of hope st the end ... but may not be a resurrection for Jackman ... neverless 2hrs well spent lol
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Logan

Post by Lazy Luke »

Cail wrote:But what really makes this a winner is that it's a superhero movie that isn't a superhero movie. There are no costumes, and the Fate of the World is never at stake. It's a personal movie, damn near a character-driven drama. A bloody one, to be sure, but it's all about the characters.
The James Mangold (DVD film + special features) audio commentary is possibly the best I've ever listened to.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Also, if you get a chance, check out Logan: Noir.

They re-did the coloring so the whole thing is in black and white.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

I recall this being quite good, and think it would benefit quite a bit from the black & white transfer.

Return to “Flicks”