I'm going to write a TCTC TV pilot!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Matthias
<i>Elohim</i>

I'm going to write a TCTC TV pilot!

Post by Matthias »

So if anyone's attempted this before, let me know.

Exactly like the subject says. I'm going to write a TV pilot screenplay for the series which will simply be entitled "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant." Simple and to the point. Almost how "Game of Thrones" was used for the entire show rather than each book title.

ANYWAYS. I must be crazy or something starting this a month and a half before finals AND at the same time I'm writing my thesis AND at the same time I'm being the Fiction Editor for my university's literary journal. Whoo-hoo! :Help:

I don't even know if anyone's interested in this anymore, but I need to use this thread to keep myself accountable.

The reason why I'm doing this is twofold. One, I'd LOVE to see it happen one day and Two, I will add it to my portfolio so that I can *hopefully* get some employment after I graduate.

So wish me luck! :S :thumbsup:

:letsparty:
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

All the luck in the world!!!

I'd love to see what you come up with!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think there have been some movie screenplays posted in KW somewhere.

Edit: TCTC The first draft Script
Matthias
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Matthias »

So...I spent most of the night writing my outline for the Pilot. I plan on having it be an hour long. It will start with Covenant waking up in the hospital and his interaction with Joan. Some might be tempted to make it a more modern adaptation, but I want to keep the setting back in 1977 when science was still struggling with leprosy.

This is supposed to be an adaptation, not necessarily a direct translation from book to visual format. I want to be true to the heart of the book while at the same time making necessary changes that translate to film more effectively.

More will be forthcoming...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Looking forward to it :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

I seem to remember many years ago someone was writing a screenplay of the chronicles.

[Edit] Ah, it was already posted! Well there you go, that's why you should read threads before posting.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

I've got about half of LFB 'adapted' to my (but probably no one elses!) relative satisfaction.

I've been stuck at Revelstone for about a year now :-D - and every once in a while when I feel the urge to add to the project, I end up just revising what I'd previously written rather than adding anything new - probably last tackled a scene or two about 6 months ago ..

From Vespers to the Plains of Ra was always gonna be the tricky part imo; some very slow (for visual media) passages and some tricky exposition.

If I ever get around to it, I'd probably just change the fact that the company heads in the opposite direction to that of their ultimate destination as they shore up the support of the Ranyhyn/Ramen ..

What I've written is virtually a pruned-verbatim version of LFB; some 'direction' given for certain scenes and a few *very* slight tweaks in dialogue, to either provide greater clarity or sneak in some exposition.
Last edited by SleeplessOne on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Last summer, I toyed with doing a script for a series (inspired by the work Seafoam did on his script). In my head, I had planned a 10-episode show that covered the entire first chronicles... pretty ambitious to say the least. I started trying to lay out scenes in a storyboard-type fashion, just to see what would need to be dealt with to tackle something like this and I quickly realized that I'm not sure even 10 episodes could capture the entire first chronicles.

There are a *lot* of scenes here. I mean, when you think of what all happens, just in the first book, it's almost impossible to do a scene-by-scene transition from book to series. I think it will require more of an adaptation to make anything even remotely filmable. If I ever have spare time, I may take a fresh look at it from that angle, but it's going to be difficult.
Matthias
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Matthias »

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, everyone. I've been busy with my thesis and the end of school in general.

So, I wanted to share a few things that I learned from my screenwriting professor about breaking into TV screenwriting. The "best" way to break into TV screenwriting is NOT to write a pilot. Really, the best way is to write a new episode of an already established TV series that you like (Friends, 24, etc). It can be an episode using the same characters but in a different universe, or what have you.

Even if people don't use your episode, you're showing them how good you are at writing. If they like what they see, they might use you later on another writing project they have. Later, you might be able to write that pilot you've been wanting to write.

So. I'm going to put my TCTC Pilot on the back burner for right now until I can get into a position to write it.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”