Foreshadowings of All Things

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Foreshadowings of All Things

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

At first, I thought Emereau Vrai knowing Her true name was kinda unmotivated, like, yeah on the fly the explanation kinda made sense but even at her most darned doctorest best I don't know why Linden would have jumped to that conclusion right then and there. Like, the Auriference would have been a way more obvious choice, if only to vindicate the poor character's meager presence in the AATE backstory.

However, later I reflected on a number of things that told against this.

Basically it was the explanation of Kevin's Dirt. Esmer said that Kastenessen and Esmer were channeling Her power to make this. Both of these characters have entirely obvious connections to Emereau Vrai. In fact we are told that Vrai used Her power to create the Dancers of the Sea. So the princess having the knowledge of Her true name is motivated after all.

Anyway... another scene that made a lot more sense on seventh thought :P was the non-scene in which the world is recreated. Yeah, sure, the inherited knowledge of two deities and an ancient demon alongside the four most powerful magical artifacts in existence seems sufficient a world to remake. However, in "My Deeper Purpose" the Raver actually substantiates this otherwise spontaneous assertion about the Staff of Law's power by noting that it is through the fire of the Staff that the prison for the Creator can be forged.

In fact, that's the deeper twist: the prison for the Creator would have been the rebuilt world had Jeremiah not defeated the Raver. The Despiser was going to use Roger and Jeremiah, if possible, to create a new reality, one in which the Creator was trapped as the Despiser had been. And that world would have indeed been the Gallows-fell spoken of by the Clave.

EDIT: Also, Her true name is a song. That's what all the musical description stuff is about, when the Demondim-spawn basically sing Her true name to Her. Only there are no clear lyrics, only instrumentation, as it were.
wayfriend

Re: Foreshadowings of All Things

Post by wayfriend »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:At first, I thought Emereau Vrai knowing Her true name was kinda unmotivated,
Don't be confused.
In [i]Fatal Revenant[/i] was wrote:Sternly Esmer added, "Kastenessen's mortal lover also participates in She Who Must Not Be Named. She was Emereau Vrai, daughter of kings, and she dared to draw upon this ancient need for the creation of the merewives. Therefore she was consumed."
Vrai was a woman who was consumed by SWMNBN. She is not SWMNBN herself, who is an eternal being.
Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:In fact, that's the deeper twist: the prison for the Creator would have been the rebuilt world had Jeremiah not defeated the Raver.
Now that is a very interesting idea.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I knew my use of indexicals was messy :P Basically, in this post when I capitalize "Her" I'm referring to SWMNBN, even if the "Her" seems to refer back to a different character (like Vrai).

Return to “The Last Dark”