Pressure Cooking

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

The lower carb ramen company is doing another contest; this time autumn themed. I tried contacting them various ways to see if I was eligible to enter, as I won the last contest, but haven't heard back. The deadline to enter is Friday, so I went ahead and submitted. If they choose to not have me be eligible, I'm good with that.

I decided to make a squash soup with an apple, thinking the thick soup would cling nicely to the noodles. Since many of their patrons do low carb, I went with roasted kabocha squash, since it's the lowest net carb squash I know of. The apple brings the carbs back up some, but I like the flavor.
I'll share the recipe once I hear if I win or not.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I must say, while I made the roasted kabocha squash and apple soup for the ramen contest, in my opinion it is even better reheated the next day, topped with a drizzle of cream and ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I gave a new acquaintance a house warming gift of a cheesecake. He said he likes coconut, so I did some searching and settled on an oven baked recipe from Gimme Some Oven which takes flavors from Girl Scout Samoas/Caramel deLites cookies. This Old Gal for IP method.
Somoa Cheesecake

A large serving

Autopsy shot
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly's new acquaintance was good enough to not only have her partake of a slice when she delivered the cheesecake, but to send home some for Dam-sel and me.

Delicious, but the slice size shown truly is large. This is an incredibly rich confection, and a little goes a long way.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Pressure Cooking

Post by Menolly »

Made homemade bone meal from the spent bones after making poultry bone broth in the Instant Pot. I’m going to let it sit for about a month see if the meat smell diminishes before I use it when I transplant my tomatoes. First time trying it; we’ll see if it attracts critters to the garden bed.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Pressure Cooking

Post by SoulBiter »

That is a great idea!!! I had not thought to do that. Composting the bone leavings. Let me know how that turns out.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Pressure Cooking

Post by Menolly »

SoulBiter wrote: That is a great idea!!! I had not thought to do that. Composting the bone leavings. Let me know how that turns out.
You don’t want to compost the bones; they can attract rodents and/or dogs. Instead, process them into bone meal and allow to sit for awhile for any smells to hopefully dissipate.

It’s easy enough to make, if a bit tedious.

After you’re finished processing your bone broth, dump the bones in the sink, cover with cold water, and gently rub free any meat, fat, and cartilage. You want the bones to be really cleaned of any extraneous debris.

Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast at 450 degrees F yet again until completely dried out and starting to brown. Allow to cool; they should be extremely brittle to the touch.

Put into a durable bag; SD suggested a doubled brown paper grocery bag, which worked for me. Smash the bones into 1” fragments. I used a sledge hammer, but even a rolling pin should work, if you don’t mind possibly dinging it.

Use your most powerful blender; I have a BlendTec which is perfect for this. Fill the carafe halfway and pulse until the bone fragments start to powder. Turn the blender up to fill power and run it for 10 seconds, rocking the base gently to incorporate all of the bone pieces until you have a uniform powder.

That’s it! You will notice a protein smell when you first package it. You can use it immediately, but would have to work it deep into the soil to try and dissuade critters from digging up your plants. As I said, I’m letting mine sit awhile and am hoping the smell dissipates on its own.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Pressure Cooking

Post by Menolly »

I used 5 lbs of fresh tomatoes from my San Marzano-style vine to make tomato sauce in the Instant Pot. SD helped with the final steps, as I wasn’t home for those steps.

Most of the ingredients for the sauce.

The finished product.

The flavor is definitely more flavorful than canned tomato sauce, but I intend to use it as the base for pasta sauces. I think if used on its own for a pasta sauce, it would need a lot more seasoning.

I wrote a very long post with 29 captioned photos on Facebook. If interested, you can see it here.

Return to “The Galley”