Star Trek: Discovery

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Re-watched the two part Season ending from Discovery Season 2 last night. Just friggin awesome. Cant wait for Season 3 but no idea how you find room to improve after that.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh wow ... am sooo looking forward to it .. havent got to the finales yet.

Just love this show ♥️
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The third season opener was a big disappointment. Boring. Cheesy. Way too much melodramatic emotions from Michael. Sonequa Martin-Green's performance is really starting to bug me.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Say what you want, but I enjoyed the whole series so far.

Season 1 was big WOW!, with all the connections to the TOS, the mirror universe and of course Lorca being the most bad ass captain in ST history ever. Sesaon 2 had a Captain Pike that made you really go "Who the Eff is Kirk again?". Great stuff.

With one episode to go, Season 3 hasn't disapppointed me so far. Yes, some parts may have been cheesy and could have been done better. But to be fair, I had that thought more often when rewatching TNG and DS9 again. So far it's brilliant and the crew has grown on me.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm finally watching DVDs of season three from my library. Just finished the two-parter centered on Georgiou. I loved the reference to Harlan Ellison's TOS script.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Discovery new Season starts Nov 18
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The 4th Season is just OK...... but that is the ebb and flow of these things. One thing I dislike and its just a personal opinion/observation, is that they are trying way to hard to incorporate sexual/gender diversity into the show and it cant be an accident that women seem to be in charge of just about everything in the future. i.e. Leader of Ni'var, President of the Federation, etc etc
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Guess I am finally done with Discovery. They are now bringing their personal politics into the show itself.
In this week’s episode, titled “Coming Home�, written by Paradise and directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi, the President of United Earth visits the Discovery to officially accept the invitation, and is revealed to be played by none other than Stacey Abrams. For Paradise, capping off this two-season arc with her appearance was the perfect way to end this journey.

“When we got about halfway through, and were coming to the finale, we realized, we needed a face for this,� Paradise recalled. “We needed someone to represent Earth, who can say the words, ‘Earth is back.’ … Stacey Abrams came to mind, knowing she’s a fan of the show, and all that she’s done for obvious reasons, all that she has done and continues to do.�
So with that, I will not support Discovery any longer and will not watch the finale. I can hope that this doesnt happen to the rest of the Star Trek franchise.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

SoulBiter wrote:Guess I am finally done with Discovery. They are now bringing their personal politics into the show itself.
In this week’s episode, titled “Coming Home�, written by Paradise and directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi, the President of United Earth visits the Discovery to officially accept the invitation, and is revealed to be played by none other than Stacey Abrams. For Paradise, capping off this two-season arc with her appearance was the perfect way to end this journey.

“When we got about halfway through, and were coming to the finale, we realized, we needed a face for this,� Paradise recalled. “We needed someone to represent Earth, who can say the words, ‘Earth is back.’ … Stacey Abrams came to mind, knowing she’s a fan of the show, and all that she’s done for obvious reasons, all that she has done and continues to do.�
So with that, I will not support Discovery any longer and will not watch the finale. I can hope that this doesnt happen to the rest of the Star Trek franchise.
I don’t see that ad politicising ST myself lol 😂 she’s just a human playing a role ~ and a fan ~ she’s not really the President of the Earth ~ it’s fiction.

If she were Republican would that make a difference? Or if she weren’t black? I can’t imagine her race being relevant to Trekkies which Universe embraces diversity.

Look, each to one’s own … but it wouldbt affect my ST allegiance but then I’m not associated with US bipartisanship. It has less relevance to me. But I respect that we are all affected by different things.

I don’t agree with a lot Reagan came out with but it wouldn’t stop me watching or enjoying a movie he was in / so long as it’s not completely awful lol 😂
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Its pandering to the Democrats/liberals. She was not selected for her outstanding acting skills. There are plenty of great actors that would have loved to have that bit part. So if it wasn't her acting then what could it be?

Here are some quotes that show their reasoning
When I think about the state of our country and world, I can’t think of any one person more ready and able to lead and guide us to a new day than my friend @staceyabrams
So, coming into Season 4, we knew that would happen with Earth at the end of the season… and as we got about halfway into breaking the season, we realized we’d need someone to bring that moment to life, an Earth President to say those words – that Earth wanted to rejoin – and honestly, there’s no one better for that than Stacey.
The reason I see it the way I do is the "reason" they selected her for the role. Again not because of her great acting but because they agree with her politics.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Good points and it could be her politics but it could be that they see her as an impressive public servant over her entire tenure and work as Deputy City Attorney for Atlanta, her work in the legal field she did as a lawyer and her work as founder & CEO of Fair Fight Action, NOW Corp, NOURISH inc & Sage Works

Im not familiar with Stacey Abrams really - I only know the little I just googled but the NAACP regards her contribution to social justice impressively favourably. She has earned herself a John F Kennedy New Frontier award and 2014 Governing Magazine named her public offical of the year - fwiw :lol:

She's a recipient of numerous public service and social justice contribution and legal work honours and awards.

She is also a fiction and non-fiction writer and has published a number of works one of which I read is being prepared for television lol :lol:

I cannot see Abrams ever running or being successful as POTUS ... sure her politics are partisan but there are lots of republicans that I highly admire and agree with their politics.

And tbf to Abrams she is relatively new to the political climate.

She might just be a stand up kinda gal

.... and that's what they like ... Abrams has been in the public eye in a limited capacity for some time & much of it a long before she ran for the role of democrat nominee.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

That's a stretch (for me to buy in) but this isn't a place to debate things.

I thought this last season dragged quite a bit but it had the unrealized potential to be great. Just my opinion on the Season and nothing to do with the last episode. I am not sure when the next season will be but the writers need to find that balance between "too much pew pew" and "not enough plot" and visa versa.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Last season for Discovery. I hope they find a way to send them off properly. I can only hope the writers knew this was coming.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just saw the first episode yesterday. I had no idea Shu Lien was in it! Captain, no less! I wonder if this is my new favorite show! :biggrin:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Season 1 was really good. Season 2 was outstanding..
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Not sure when the last season of Discovery will be out. I suspect after Strange Worlds ends its second season.

I did see that a Paramount + special movie event is coming for Section 31
Paramount+ today announced it has officially greenlit Star Trek: Section 31 starring Academy Award winner Michelle Yeoh. In this special original movie event for the service, Yeoh will return to her role as Emperor Philippa Georgiou, a character she first played in Star Trek: Discovery 's first season.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I must get going on Discovery. I've still only seen the first couple episodes.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just saw another couple episodes. Really liking this show! Spore Drive?!? Great stuff!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I thought the second half of Season 1 was very good and the second season was excellent.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Stella was pretty hot in her prime!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”