The Peters Hangover Scale

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Peters Hangover Scale

Post by peter »

Hangover ratings 1 to 5 in increasing order of severity, with notes for the classification thereof.

Grade 1 The Miracle Hangover
Also known as The Ghost Hangover, this is the hangover that for some reason, inexplicable to science or reason, fails to happen. We've all been there - you've gone to bed lashed to the gills expecting to wake up hanging out of your arse, and when morning comes, instead it's like you've stepped out into the opening frames of a My Little Pony episode.

Grade 2 The Trembler
Ok - you've had a few over the eight, you feel a bit shakey inside, a bit raw round the edges, but a few coffee shots and a couple of gaspers should set things to rights. You've got to go to work, but at worst a light sheen of perspiration should be the only evidence of your inner dipso.

Grade 3 The Sweater
Holy crap, that last bottle of plonk was a mistake! Any exertion beyond lifting your trembling coffee-cup to your wine stained teeth will have you sweating like Red-Rum finishing the National! Please God, don't let the boss come in today!

Grade 4 The Wringer
That is the last jag you are going on - ever! You've phoned in sick and can barely face the bacon sandwich your palsy afflicted hand is raising to your enslobbered mouth. You flinch at the slightest eye contact with your fellow man and struggle even with sitting in a chair in front of the TV. The core of your being is a faecal vortex.

Grade 5 The Shredder
Here you are, at the hangover level most novices can only dream of the fabled Shredder! The day oddly enough starts OK, because a) you are still shit-faced from last night and b) you can't (yet) remember what you have done! But this is merely the calm before the storm. Gradually the results of your bender begin to creep in - flash backs of horror inducing memory surrounded by a black hole of amnesia that you know is even worse. As your physical decline begins to take hold your mental architecture starts to crumble correspondingly. At this stage you'd give a years wage to feel as good as the guy in Munch's The Scream! The wings of madness flap around your head and you retreat to bed in a darkened room where even lying still is too much to bear. Eventually you fall into a sweat soaked and intermittent sleep, from which the following morning you emerge, shaking and unnerved, resolving that that will never - never! - happen again (till next time that is ;) ). Congratulations my friend - you've survived The Shredder!

Nb. Some will be surprised not to hear mention of splitting headaches and nausea in the above classification. While significant aspects of the post-drinking process they are not of themselves part of the 'hangover' proper. This is what remains after the asprins and anti-emetics have done their job. That shakey, churney fraying of the soul, the cure for which (short of unscrewing another bottle of Jack) has yet to be discovered.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

Nice classification system. This is why I don't drink. :D

(It's been 9 years since I was proper drunk, but in general I rarely got above grade 2.)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Alas to my shame Av, I've done the Shredder more than once! Happily I'm beyond that point now and seem to have perfected the art of stopping just before the hangover level begins. I could have included The Seedy, but again it's too low level to qualify as a hangover really as it barely lasts more than an hour or two before you are back to your normal self bestriding the world like a Collosus! :lol:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Haha, might have had it once or twice, but in general hangovers (when I did drink for effect) were pretty good to me. :D

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I can remember maybe having a hangover twice.
in my younger days I could drink a small town under the table.
being diabetic now, not a good idea to test my limits.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Odd thing that hangovers do get progressively worse as you get older: when I was young I could drink all night, sleep it off and wake up ready for round two. I think the first time I really understood it's potential to cause pain was after a night mixing cider and wine (with a topping of whiskey) - now that was a headache! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

never mix!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I can drink a bottle of vodka and have no hangover next morning. Same with other booze. But as soon I start switching drinks I'm dead the next moment. Sticking to just one kind of drink I'm out of danger zone as it seems.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Interesting development pertinent to this thread for lovers of all things alcoholic, scientists somewhere are reporting that they have developed an ethanol substitute that has all of the properties of booze in respect of its ability to get you stoned .......... but leaves you fresh as a daisy the following morning! That's right - a rip-roaring, up a lamp-post full on ripped to the tits jag, and no hangover! Oh glorious day that I should bear witness to such things...........!

:lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

What, consequence-free intoxication? Next people will be smoking marijuana again... ;)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Indeed, one of the key advantages of 'charge' was it's capacity to leave you unscathed the morning after a good session the night before. In fact an odd property I found, was that (and I'm talking pre-skunk days when your hash came natural from whatever part of the globe it was produced in) each type of hash/weed had a top level of 'high' beyond which, no matter how much more you smoked, it would not take you. There was none of booze's cumulative effect (beyond a given point) until you were dead on the floor! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

HahahAha πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I love to go out and have a few drinks. Ive only had a few hangovers, and they werent too bad given the hammering the bod got.

We dont drink often, maybe a couple of times a week, we might have a wine with our meal, or if its a hotnight and well have a beer sitting on the back deck raking in the day.

If I go out Ill have a couple, get a bit tipsy maybe a bit wobbly but not till I feel ill.

I dont know why but my kids love to get mum a little tipsy πŸ˜‚ Yes theyre adults πŸ˜‚ Its fun and I love having a goooooooood laugh.

Mmmm... and Im always mixing drinks. If its a party its shots, wine, cocktails, beer whatever.

I love cocktails but theyre so damn expensive - so like to make them when friends come over. We did this at Xmas it was great.

I like getting a little high, I love that feeling. Smoking pot doesnt work for me lol.. best pot moment was smoking while watching LOTRs that was really awesome. Nice, surreal fun.

I dont enjoy alcohol if I go beyond tipsy .. I hate that heavy feeling.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

So what...do you eat it? (I'm not into that, can't control the dose properly, and I don't much like the high.)

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Petes miracle hangover cure are you referring to 🀨 question mark 😏
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

No, I'm referring to you getting a little high. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh! No we smoked it ☹️

Yeah havent yet had a bownie I liked, and not into the tea. So yeah .. πŸ’πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

That LOTRs experience was the best high Ive had. But generally not so much, could be our homegrown isnt awesome .. dunno.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

But you said smoking doesn't work for you... ??

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Nah it generally doesnt with the exception of that one time lol πŸ˜‚
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Ive really not had more than maybe two hangovers in my life time. Well to be fair only started drinking when I was 52. LOL πŸ˜‚ Late bloomer πŸ˜‚

So not a big drinker but I really love a drink πŸ₯ƒ now. But we have πŸ₯ƒ drinking guide above, cheers Pete. What do you find a good fix for having that one too many?
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to β€œThe Galley”