Work Tales.

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I work for a K-12 public school system.

Second to last day of school, two teachers (that didn't like each other apparently) started arguing with each other about a piece of equipment that got moved (by another teacher).............
Did I mention that it was 2 days before school ended for the summer?
Who gives a shit what they were arguing about?
No one did.
Not the Admins that they escalated it to or anyone else in the world.

It was the strangest damn thing. :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Skyweir wrote:Would you mind sharing more about what you do?
Currently, I write various plans. The Safeguard Summary Plan has eight pages of questions on what kind of supervision someone needs; eating concerns (adaptive equipment, diet consistency, whether they are a known choking risk, etc); if they need help walking, and what kind of help; on and on.

The Staff Action Plan tells the staff what actions/services they must provide. Both as related to all those safeguard, and the person's Valued Outcomes. Our funding literally comes from the services that we bill for. Each person tells us (If they are able. If not, we base their Valued Outcomes on what those most familiar with them know of their likes and dislikes.) what they value, as far as things they want to do and accomplish. Some want to have better relationships with people, and the Staff Actions I write might be to remind them of good social skills (let other people talk, don't talk too loud when you're next to someone, etc), as well as to help them keep in touch worth family and friends by asking them if they want to call and helping them dual the phone. Someone who wants to be more independent might be taught how to cook, step-by-step, maybe only one step at a time for however long it takes them to get it. Someone with profound intellectual disability might seem to enjoy people talking to them, or certain types of music, or whatever stimulates their senses.

The best thing that's happened in my 23 years came several years ago when I was the site coordinator a day hab. In order to have our people doing something other than sitting at home all day watching Jerry Springer, we have day habs. All of the group homes take their people to the day hab, and the day hab staff take them out to whatever activities during the day. My day hab became the the day hab geared toward the very high functioning, but behaviorally challenged people. I won't get into any specifics, but some of these people were acquainted with the legal system. Anyway, one day I hear a bunch of people yelling happily from the other room. I went to see what was up, and was told by my staff that some of the guys who came to us knew how to play Spades. I didn't know how to play Spades, and asked what it was all about. A couple of my co-workers were in the same boat. The rabid players and the guys who came to us taught us how to play. I'm something of a Spades addict now. We would sit with the guys throughout the day, some coming and going as they went out to movies or shopping or whatever. And best of all, I called around to other places. It turns out another day hab three hours away also had some very good Spades players. So we met in the middle, about an hour and a half away, at a nice little restaurant, where we all ate lunch and played Spades for the afternoon. So much fun.

On the other end of the spectrum, I knew a guy many years ago who was wheelchair-bound. He couldn't communicate much, knowing very few words. You heard those words often enough, because they were curse words, and he was often angry. But he could also say "How are you?" And when we walked through the mall, he would ask everyone we got close to "How are you?" You would not believe the joy on his face and hand clapping when someone responded to him. Just amazing.

There's a woman, Nancy, with severe cerebral palsy. Physically extremely disabled. Turns out she was very intelligent. Couldn't guess what might have been if she was born later, when such people were assumed incapable of any thought or communication. We had a coworker who, as I put it, had a loose grip on reality. The bizarre things that she said and did. One day she came out of the back room where we had a parakeet, and said, "Well! The bird's back there masturbating!" Frequently, she would say things like that, and other types of oddness. And as you're trying to wrap your head around it, you hear Nancy cracking up on the other side of the room.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm sure you know of it Fist, but the William Horwood novel Skallagrigg - Horwood has a daughter with cerebral palsy - is a heart rending tale about such a period. If by chance you have not read this book, I simply cannot recommend it enough.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

lols 😂 Fist!!

Interesting career path 👌 When my son was furloughed and lived with us (he’s recently returned to the US to work) he taught dance/fitness classes here.

He taught adults in town - a moderated fitness class at the retirement village - and we travelled 3hr round trip every week as he taught dance/fitness classes to adults with disabilities.

He was going to moderate the routines but the director asked him not to. Most of the participants were adults with down syndrome … and most had either speech/loosely communication issues or confidence issues and were extremely shy.

After months of doing these classes with Nate - I grew in respect and admiration for his incredibly diverse skill sets but oh that boy can work a crowd. The attendees LOVED him .. cuz he’s soooo much fun and encouraging. The last class was a little teary 🥲 … while they may not all have done all the moves precisely … Nate just wanted them to have FUN moving their bodies.

One young woman really got into it … obviously love music and dancing … and constantly twerking up against a lecturn at the front of the class lol 😂

Very cool profession Fist 🤛 very cool indeed 😎👌
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

peter wrote:I'm sure you know of it Fist, but the William Horwood novel Skallagrigg - Horwood has a daughter with cerebral palsy - is a heart rending tale about such a period. If by chance you have not read this book, I simply cannot recommend it enough.
Actually, I've never heard of it. Thanks!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Went into work the other day and got pulled by the assistant manager who said, "Peter, Kevin was complaining that you refused to go to the safe the other day for change and to do safe-drops. Why is that?" Somewhat surprised I explained my (perfectly sound) reasons which he accepted, but added that I thought Kevin liked the chance to get off the till and shop floor and so I was actually 'refusing' more for his sake than mine and that henceforth I would do as requested.

Now the funny thing is that this guy Kevin is a bloke who I share interests with - gaming and the Lord of the Rings - and so we get along perfectly well and as far as possible actually enjoy our shifts working together. It just seemed odd to me that the fellow would go to the assistant manager over such a petty thing that I had not even realised was a deal. But the thing with this guy is (I realised) he cannot stop himself from making mischief, even if it is to the detriment of someone who he gets on with. He's as thick as thieves with the assistant manager, and when they get together he'll gossip and complain about anyone else (friend or foe) for the simple end of stirring up (what?) interest? excitement?, or just improvement of his own stock by the reduction of others. This is in his nature; he can't help it.

Interestingly, when I was working with him previously on one occasion, he committed an offence so bad that there would be little doubt that he'd have been fired had the management heard of it; but rather than report it I had gone to pains to explain what he had done and why it would have landed him in the soup, and made it possible for him to rectify the damage before it came home to roost.

But in order to get the actual level of mentality I'm dealing with here across, I'll tell the following story. Kevin had told me (this was a few months ago), that his wife had taken pretty badly to her second dose of the Covid vaccination and was quite ill. The following day, when he appeared on the shop floor, I enquired about her and was shocked when he said, quite matter of factly, "She died this morning. "No," I said, aghast at this turn of events, and then he said, "I'm joking. She's much better today." Now correct me if I'm wrong, but does anyone find this as egregiously.....wrong......as I do. You just don't make jokes like this. Not if your mind is working in the same way as the majority of other people's.

This then, is the odd world I work in. A world where you must expect the people who you get on with and like you to undermine you behind your back - and forgive them for it because they simply cannot help it - it's in their nature. A world where you must accept the outrageous lies of another work colleague (and where you both understand lies for what they are - a desperate fantasy to give brief imaginary value to a truly sad life - and know that you both know it) and be happy to do so because it is helping - really helping - a guy you like and who needs help, needs a friend. A place where the banality of the work and the environment, in order to be tolerated, has to be peppered with back-biting and nasty factionalism - where simply to be nice and do your job is never going to be enough to get you through the tedium of the day, where the spice of intrigue and undermining has to be added, no matter what the personal cost, in order to make it tolerable.......

Well, what can I say...... Welcome to my world!

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

😢 pretty sad in truth.

We’ll work has bee. a little light on this week cuz COVID. Had four booking cancellations for this month and into August.

Not terrible cuz there’s ALWAYS work to do around here.

And will probably travel to Melbs in the next few weeks COVID permitting and the borders being opened of course.

I’ll be a happy camper when all this virus shit is out to bed once and for all.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Not happening any time soon Sky; we have created a monster (perhaps in more ways than one) that will not be put to bed at any point in the near future. There is too much vested interest, both political and economic, in its continuance for it to be laid aside, even if the conditions for reasonably doing so were met.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Yes I heard the UK had several thousand new cases yesterday. It’s amazing to think of that many cases in one day.

We had 97 new cases in NSW yesterday - but I was listening to the news and this doctor was saying vaccination is the only way to combat COVID and the variants - Delta etc.

I got excited for a minute this afternoon when I thought we had two new jobs but lol 😂 they were looking for my son with jobs (performance & teaching dance) who has just gone back to the US for work. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Meh

Work slowing back down again will indeed impact financially but it’s tax time and we can keep moving forward with the few k we get in the rebate.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

A number of years ago, speaking to a client at the veterinary practice where I worked, a postman who a few weeks previously, had had a vasectomy performed by the local hospital, I asked him how the procedure had gone.

He was casually upbeat in his answer. "Oh, it was nothing," he said. "I went in on Saturday morning, had it done under local anesthetic and was out a couple of hours later."

He went on to say that he would recommend it to anyone and that he had suffered only the most minor of discomfort. Before he turned to leave however, a slightly puzzled look came over his face. " There's only one thing," he mused, then paused....."I don't seem to want it any more?"

:lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

lol 😂

Trev got a vasectomy years ago ~ I couldn’t risk pregnancy or significant surgery at that time ~ so bring the cat ng soul get is he volunteered to go under the knife so to speak.

I took him and waited whilst the procedure was performed and when I could go see him he was sitting up in bed eating sandwiches ~ it was quick and done under anaesthesia ~ but he was probably operating on the back of the anaesthesia cuz he suggested we go to a winery which involved a lot of walking and climbing up and down stairs.

As a result ~ he had significant pain & swelling that presumably could have been. avoided by closer adherence to the doctors advice.

Nevertheless with rest it resolved expeditiously lol 😂
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

All's well that ends well Sky.

:)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Indeedy doodee :D
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

If someone is holding a knife to my genitals, rest assured its a hostage situation. Please call the police.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

A chap came into the shop last night, a bloke I've known as a customer for a number of years who is perhaps just a little.... simple (am I still allowed to say that?)

As I passed him in the aisle, he said, "Hello Peter. Mother died this week."

I said I was sorry to hear it and he told me she was 96 so had done very well, but it was still difficult and whatnot.

A short while later he was at the till and being served by a new staff member, a Chinese lady who is somewhat unfamiliar with the various procedures of the tills etc. He had some lottery tickets to check at the terminal and she passed them to me to do so while she took the money for his purchases. His tickets were not winners and I told him so and discarded them. Concluding her transaction, my colleague, having obviously been told by him about the death of his mother, said, "I'm sorry for your loss."

He responded, "Don't worry - there's another draw tonight," and so saying, turned and left the shop.

;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

"Intellectually disabled" would be better.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Fair comment Fist, but a little too much to describe this guy. Just a bit.... slower?..... than the average maybe.

In the UK my poor choice of term would be understood in the degree I meant it I think. Perhaps the bandwidth in the US is a little different?

But I hasten to add, I tell the story for (I hope) it's 'soft humour' value - not in any way to disparage the man, who I believe, would himself have seen the funny side of the misunderstanding. We have laughed together over many things over the years.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nah, everybody understands you. I just thought you were asking for the PC answer. It's kind of my job, after all. I would guess Mild ID?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"So mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" is my go-to.

(( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYaq3mpTksU ))

Return to “General Discussion Forum”