Hashi Lebwohl

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Darth Revan wrote:i disliked him when he was first introduced. the reasons for this are quite simple; at first he represented himself as a person of sadistic natures. Hashi first actions are, making Angus urinate himself, he also instructs Angus to put his arms up like he is being crucified (I am aware that Angus is an evil bastard himself, at this point of the book he is represented as one anyway). and Angus could still feel pain, because he describes the pain while this is happening.
After he does these things he says, "I think i am in love". so he enjoyed humiliating Angus. so that really irritated me.
Then he says to goshen (sp?) that Angus is there to be played with, because by doing this he can validate Joshua functions correctly.
Then, once everyone has left the room he "plays" with angus some more.
Quote (not exact wording, i do not have the book with me at the present time)
"Hashi played with Angus some more. Angus tried to ignore the humiliation."
Interesting points, Darth. The thing is, could you say that Angus deserved humiliation? After what he did to Morn. It's interesting because he receives 'similar' punishment from Hashi.

I think Hashi is good, it's just that how he acts upon his beliefs is up to question (ie, paying Free Lunch to destroy Trumpet).
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I have forgotten. Please enlighten me. Is Hashi the equivalent to Loki?
SLATFATF...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I just checked what Donaldson wrote at the back of the Real Story. There's no mention of it. However, Hashi is representing some Wagnerian character so I would not be suprised if he is Loki.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Hoom. Perhaps we should compose a "Who is Who-list"?

Please correct me if I am wrong (I do not have the books at my current location so this is wild guessing... and my spelling is horrible, I know)...

Min Donner = Tor (Thor/Donner)
Warden Dios = Oden (Odin/(Wotan)
Holt Fasner = Fafsnes (the dragon)
Angus = this is tricky. Is it possible that he changes character? Sigurd (Siegfried) is one at least I think.
Hashi Lebwol = Loke (Loki)?
Morn Hyland = Brünhilde? The Rhenmaidens?
Nick Succorso = Who? Can't get a clear picture of him. I know that Sigurd had a "friend" who dies quite early in the story - Gunnar I think. Can it be him?
Milos Taverner = Regin (the dwarf)?
Wardens mother = Mimer (the head in the well. Wisdom incarnate).
Davis Hyland = an other Sigurd-like character? Who is he?
The Amnion = the giants?

Help?
SLATFATF...
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Wait a moment. I think Hashi is one of the greedy giants that Wagner pictured as "typical jewish"* Can this be true? Someone mentionend that Hashi is a jiddish name...

* It is easy to see why Hitler was so fond of Wagner...
SLATFATF...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Hey great list, Ylva :) However, SRD stated that the Amnion were the dwarves of the Nibelungen. Mainly because they wanted to destroy humanity.
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I had forgotten that... I will update the list when I get hold of my Gap-series again. Still I think there are several characters that SRD does not entirely explain further than that they are characters from Wagners Ring des Niebelungen... (erhaps I should start a new thread for this list btw)And some characters are of course SRDs own inventions so they have no correlating character in Wagners ring...
SLATFATF...
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Eh, where in ADAHGA does Hashi turn into a good guy?
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Hashi turns into a good guys, when he realized exactly what Warden is doing.
He starts to admire Warden, and stives to be more like him.

It's still selfish, but admirable anyqways.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

drew wrote:Hashi turns into a good guys, when he realized exactly what Warden is doing.
He starts to admire Warden, and stives to be more like him.

It's still selfish, but admirable anyqways.
*bump*
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

ylva, I would still like to see an updated list of the Nebelungen vs. Gap characters... that was facinating comparison...!
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Hashi Lebwohl is probably the most entertaining Gap character to read about, but if I knew him in real life I'm not completely sure I'd want to turn my back on him. :shifty: |H
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

There are not many characters in the Gap cycle that one can prudently turn one's back on!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Savor Dam wrote:There are not many characters in the Gap cycle that one can prudently turn one's back on!
Very true, Savor Dam! I guess I could only completely trust a few, like Min Donner, Lane Harbinger, Sixten Vertigus, Dolph Ubikwe, Koina Hannish...and I guess that's about it!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

But that's only because you know their stories from the inside...

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Cord Hurn wrote:Hashi Lebwohl is probably the most entertaining Gap character to read about, but if I knew him in real life I'm not completely sure I'd want to turn my back on him. :shifty: |H
That depends solely upon what I might have to gain when you turn your back. On the other hand, there is no challenge when your back is turned--where is the fun in that?
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Post by Avatar »

Your avatar does not inspire confidence. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

In the first chapter entitled 'Hashi' in [i]Chaos and Order[/i] was wrote:Hashi Lebwohl was not a dishonest man. It was more accurate to say he was a-honest. He liked facts; but truth had no moral imperatives for him, no positive--or negative--valuation. It had its uses just as facts had theirs: it was a tool, more subtle than some, cruder than others.

It was a fact of his position as the UMCP director of Data Acquisition that he was expected to satisfy certain requirements. Warden Dios himself liked--indeed demanded--facts. For that reason among others, Hashi respected his director. Warden Dios made no effort to play fast and loose with reality, as the late and unlamented Godsen Frik had done endemically; or as even Min Donner did, in ways which she characteristically failed to recognize. Warden lived in the world of the real. Under no circumstances would Hashi Lebwohl have hesitated to do his job by supplying Warden with facts. And he was seldom reluctant to share his understanding of the way in which facts linked with each other to form more complex, less tangible realities.

On the other hand, he felt no obligation whatsoever to tell Warden Dios--or anyone else--the truth.
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:That depends solely upon what I might have to gain when you turn your back. On the other hand, there is no challenge when your back is turned--where is the fun in that?
On the other hand, he felt no obligation whatsoever to tell Warden Dios--or anyone else--the truth. Uh-HUH. No, I don't think I should turn my back on you if you're around, Hashi! ;) But you can take satisfaction in knowing I still think you're the greatest Gap character! :D :thumbsup:

[typo edit]
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Poor Hashi! It must be a great burden to try to maintain an air of trustworthiness, when "the media" is obviously against you! :P

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A

Return to “The Gap Series”