And after 'They all lived happily ever after'?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

And after 'They all lived happily ever after'?

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Do you see room in Mordant's Need story for continuation after the end of the duology? Or possibly a prequel? Mordant Need is well built but I'd love to read more from this world.

Havelock and Joyce tales of heroic youth

Old Margonal rebuilding his kingdom humanely between the two wars.

Terisa some years later facing the trials of parenthood. Can she break the cycle her parents started with her?

Lone Eremis' alien (the translated horsemen) survived in some remote spot after the war trying to figure his life out.

What about you?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I think I'd prefer prequels, but I'd read sequels too. My vote is for Havelock and Joyce winning Mordant, and maybe something about the High King's Monomach, selection, training, etc.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I agree with Avatar, the Havelock and Joyse adventures would be what intrigued me.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Surely there is some significant purpose for Geraden and Terissa having special, heretofore unseen talents. It doesn't seem likely that such a well-paired combination of unlikely abilities manifested merely to defeat Eremis and Vagel. It might be that the events of Mordant's need are merely a precursor to a more existential crisis facing the three kingdoms, one for which these two have been invested with their power.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nice idea. :lol:

Not being one for "pre-destination" it never occurred to me.

--A
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

wayfriend wrote:Surely there is some significant purpose for Geraden and Terissa having special, heretofore unseen talents. It doesn't seem likely that such a well-paired combination of unlikely abilities manifested merely to defeat Eremis and Vagel. It might be that the events of Mordant's need are merely a precursor to a more existential crisis facing the three kingdoms, one for which these two have been invested with their power.
Do you have any ideas in particular?

From what I remember of Imagery backstory, in times of conflict and chaos imagers are born in greater numbers and new and unique talents arise. Powerful imagers created Cadwal and the powerful Havelock cofounded Mordant. But in general the history of bloodshed and wars continued for hundreds of years despite the existence of imagers. They only made it worse with their horrific monstrosities. So if there was a purpose to their existence, it wasn't to bring about a peaceful utopia. It was merely a sort of mechanical reaction of the world/the Jungian great unconscious to the chaos and/or suffering. Geraden and maybe Terisa are not quite a force of destiny but rather a reaction to the very powerful Eremis cabal and the mayhem they instigated. If Geraden and Terisa were any less powerful Eremis would undoubtedly win. His cabal was just that powerful, clever, talented and well-placed. New conflicts may arise but they were already necessary for the previous conflict.

Of course this instory theory might be false. The untold numbers of imagers who toiled in their laboratories without affecting the greater world in times of rest, the solitary ones who left no records of themselves weren't counted. It's a classic mistake in statistics.

Though when you consider auguries exist in this world the picture becomes more complicated. So lets say the world might give the tools for different factions to fight back and win. But those tools are human beings with free will. They can bring peace. They can work for the oppressors. They can go mad and destroy everything around them or they can hide in a remote corner. Destiny is not everything. Terisa herself says so at the end of the series.

Edit to add - If war strengthens Imagery will peace cause it to stagnate or even disappear? I hope the Congery continues even after the wars ended.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I guess I've always assumed that with the Eremis cabal and Cadwal defeated, Imagery would now be used to solve domestic problems, such as drought, a road needing repair, people needing quick delivery of food because of famine. I also have assumed that Terisa and Geraden would live in Orison and be productive members of the Congery, even allowing that Terisa really doesn't seem particularly enthusiastic about being part of the Congery.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbindingshoe wrote:Edit to add - If war strengthens Imagery will peace cause it to stagnate or even disappear? I hope the Congery continues even after the wars ended.
I would hope so, too, and I think Joyse intends for it to continue, following once more his instruction to use Imagery for constructive purposes that help people, and without translating sentient beings against their will.

Return to “Mordant's Need”