Justice League

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

dlbpharmd
Lord

Justice League

Post by dlbpharmd »

This has turned out to be, not surprisingly, a huge bomb for Warner Bros.

I'll have to say it was better than I thought it would be. I thought it would suck, and suck hard.

I've read that Affleck says he's done with the role of Batman. Good riddance. He couldn't possibly be worse for the role.

Anyone else seen this?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I saw it and quite enjoyed it. Miller and Momoa got all the best lines--I could see them getting solo films in the future...presuming DC doesn't shelve the entire franchise.

Unfortunately, DC still can't quite find the formula to translate their characters to the big screen even though their animated features and CW shows (only loosely under their control, mind you) are doing well. Part of their problem was they kept trying to rely on Zack Snyder too much (who sadly had to depart the project after a suicide in the family) and that they think their characters are still supposed to be dark and brooding like they were doing the deconstruction phase in the late 80s through the 90s. If they want to start with a better foundation they need someone like Peter David or Straczynski to write the screenplay then let Brad Bird be the director. For that matter they can let Patty Jenkins take over--she did a good job with Wonder Woman's solo movie.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I saw it and quite enjoyed it. Miller and Momoa got all the best lines--I could see them getting solo films in the future...presuming DC doesn't shelve the entire franchise.

Unfortunately, DC still can't quite find the formula to translate their characters to the big screen even though their animated features and CW shows (only loosely under their control, mind you) are doing well. Part of their problem was they kept trying to rely on Zack Snyder too much (who sadly had to depart the project after a suicide in the family) and that they think their characters are still supposed to be dark and brooding like they were doing the deconstruction phase in the late 80s through the 90s. If they want to start with a better foundation they need someone like Peter David or Straczynski to write the screenplay then let Brad Bird be the director. For that matter they can let Patty Jenkins take over--she did a good job with Wonder Woman's solo movie.
Reminds me of a statement I heard a while back that said that "The Incredibles" was the best "Fantastic Four" movie out there. :D (Brad Bird directed of course)
β€œOne accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Finally got around to watching JL and though I didn't mind the experience I wasn't thrilled by it either.
By comparison Man of Steel was a masterpiece.

Stories of this kind must have a compelling villain and said villain must be portrayed by a convincing, charismatic actor.

Doomsday was generated by a computer and presented a null villain. The same can be said about Steppenwolf.

Aside from a few moments of genuine thrills the film overall was lackluster on par with Avengers Age if Ultron.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Part of its problem is a holdover from the ending of BvS--they had to waste time in this movie to resolve the plot thread from that movie, time which could have been spent expounding upon the central characters or, ideally, the villain.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Part of its problem is a holdover from the ending of BvS--they had to waste time in this movie to resolve the plot thread from that movie, time which could have been spent expounding upon the central characters or, ideally, the villain.

I agree however there was much more muting the quality of the film.

JL didn't need to be a rehash of the first Avengers film in that an all powerful McGuffin is at the heart of an alien/mystical invasion by a horde of disposable cgi henchmen controlled by the villain. In this case however there is no Tom Hiddleson to give the antagonist a personality. Steppenwolf is as absent and computer generated as Henry Cavill's missing mustache.

Its not a bad film but it is a shame.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm... a must see then 😏😏😏😏😎
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Zack Snyder Pulls Back Curtain on His 'Justice League' Cut
Zack Snyder revealed more details of the Snyder Cut on Saturday. | Warner Bros.

The filmmaker revealed The Snyder Cut will be more than 214 minutes and confirmed none of Joss Whedon's shots will be in this version.

"These characters are bigger than us, or any filmmaker or actor. And they'll exist far beyond us." On Saturday evening filmmaker Zack Snyder talked about the long-awaited release of the Snyder Cut of Justice League during a live web panel at the first inaugural Justice Con. While the first teaser for Snyder's Justice League, set to premiere on HBO Max next year, won't be shown until DC Fandome on Aug. 22, the director didn't come empty handed and shared a brief unfinished clip and along with a few details about the process of completing his film.

Organized by The Nerd Queens (Cole and Nana) and Wonder Meg, Justice Con, which runs through Sunday, brings together fans, cast and crew members Snyder's Justice League, and charitable organizations Ink to the People, and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, for a series of live panels dedicated to the release of the Snyder Cut and its charity affiliates. Before delving into matters of the Justice League, Snyder highlighted the important work that was being done in terms of raising awareness of mental health and suicide prevention, noting that moderators The Nerd Queens and Wonder Meg were doing life-saving work. Snyder reiterated the charitable work was more important than any film, and it was that aspect of the Snyder Cut movement he found most inspiring.

As for the film itself, Snyder said that he was in the process working on restoring the aspect ratio of the film back to the full frame, IMAX cut that he originally intended. And he also revealed that he's been collaborating with composer Junkie XL as they complete the score alongside the film's additional footage. In terms of the length of his Justice League, Snyder said that he couldn't reveal whether or not Justice League would be a film or split up into a miniseries, but did say that the full runtime would be over 214 minutes. Although in 2016, Warner Bros. wanted Justice League to come in at two hours, Snyder said he was always attracted to the idea of presenting his full film as either an extended cut with an intermission or an HBO release. He heralded HBOMax for being "amazing and so supportive" during this process. The filmmaker said he'd be happy with either a long-running film or miniseries, saying it wasn't a compromise either way, but that he was particularly intrigued by the miniseries format.

Spotlight on Zack Snyder Panel [YouTube: 1 hr]
The final panel of the day belongs to Zack Snyder himself. We will talk a little, you will get to ask him some of your questions and maybe there will be a little something he'd like to show us.

Of course, no conversation of Snyder's Justice League would be complete without a discussion of Joss Whedon's "Frankenstein" cut of the film that used recolored and edited Snyder footage alongside new scenes shot by Whedon. Snyder admitted that he still hasn't seen the theatrical cut of Justice League and won't, while also assuaging fears that any of the material Whedon shot would appear in his cut. "I would set the movie on fire, I'd destroy it before I used a single frame that I did not photograph," Snyder said. While Snyder never spoke Whedon's name directly, he did say that following his decision to step down as director of Justice League, after a family tragedy, the replacement director was chosen by the process of committee.

Even before he stepped down, Snyder ran into opposition from studio execs who wanted the film to be "hilarious." He received a significant amount of pushback in wanting to see Superman return in a black suit as he famously did in "The Return of Superman" (1993) comic book storyline. Execs feared the black suit Superman would be "too scary," but Snyder wasn't interested in making Superman's return into a joke. "I want Superman in full volume, in the full spectrum of emotion, not a one-note boy scout." Snyder's vision of a black suit Superman is finally coming to fruition and Snyder shared a brief 20 second clip of a black-clad Superman (Henry Cavill) meeting Alfred (Jeremy Irons) for the first time. While the scene had not yet been color corrected Snyder revealed that because he was never allowed to suit Superman in a black suit, the charcoal hue was a post-production effect done by recoloring the classic red and blue suit, which was specifically textured for Justice League in case he ever had the opportunity to present the character as he originally envisioned. (See the 31:43 mark above.)

[...]
​
​
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Sadly, that won't save anything--weak film is weak, unfortunately. DC needs to quit relying on Snyder, whose artistic vision is not shared by a majority of fans. Snyder's vision was okay for Watchmen but a better action director was needed for JL. Both Wonder Woman and Shazam--especially Shazam--were more enjoyable films.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

​
​
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Hashi - Aquaman was also better.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:Hashi - Aquaman was also better.
An enjoyable plot can carry a movie and Aquaman's plot was enjoyable.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

And the lead seemed to be having fun.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I'm curious about this for two reasons:

1) Snyder is a distinct visionary (proof of the Auteur film theory); even if you don't like his movies, they're guaranteed to be unique.

2) The original was a train wreck. A "Director's Cut" will be even more so. I want to see just how bad it can be.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can like a Snyder movie. I found Watchmen very enjoyable. I liked Suckerpunch. But he's put some true misery on the screen as well. JL:SC could be every bit as wonderful as BvS. :cry:

I think we need to keep in mind that they aren't going to release any "cut" that dumps too much on the original. Even if it is a wise choice. The movie businessmen just don't make daring, risky moves. Only ones that milk cash. So you cannot expect any kind of shocking new vision I feel. It's more likely we'll be saying "what was so great about that?".

P.S. I spent all of Aquaman going, "Owlman can't be a bad guy!"
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I don't know, I think Suckerpunch was rather daring and risky: both daring the audience to ogle these girls and showing just how disgusting they are for doing so.

Snyder can either make great movies or terrible ones, but I've never seen a mediocre Snyder film :D
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Watchmen would have been better as an HBO miniseries. Would have allowed for more depth.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

​
​
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I'm hoping the Snyder cut is successful so they'll fix the first Suicide Swuad movie.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

This "Snyder Cut" is sounding pretty good.
I say "Snyder cut" because I heard that all the re-shoots and added footage are being done without him being involved?
Anyone know if that's true?

I heard they were adding some Green Lanterns too
Wouldn't it be awesome if they brought back Ryan Reynolds as a GL?
That could be hysterical.
But I doubt that they are going for hysterical in this.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to β€œFlicks”