President Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

And create for themselves an eternal problem of terrorism and internal conflict.

Israel (the state) doesn't want peace, it wants all the Palestinians gone. And there are Palestinians who also want Israel gone.

But I'm sure that the majority of ordinary people on both sides just want it to stop. So why doesn't it damnit...

--A
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

The Vatican objects to Israeli plan to annex Palestinian territory
New housing units being built in the Israeli settlement Efrat are seen on the hillside overlooking a Palestinian village near Bethlehem, West Bank, May 10, 2020. The Vatican issued a statement May 20 stating concerns about an Israeli plan to unilaterally annex a large portion of land in the West Bank. (CNS photo/Debbie Hill)

The Holy See today expressed its opposition to an Israeli proposal to annex parts of the Palestinian territories in defiance of international law and the United Nations resolutions governing the territories.

The Israeli annexation plan was included in the agreement for a power-sharing government made by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former rival, Benny Gantz of the Blue and White party.

The Vatican communicated its opposition to this plan in a statement sent by its press office to the international media after Archbishop Paul Richard Gallagher, the Vatican's secretary for relations with states, spoke by phone with Saeb Erekat, the chief negotiator and secretary general of the Palestine Liberation Organization, on May 20.

According to the statement, Mr. Erekat phoned the archbishop to "inform the Holy See about recent developments in the Palestinian territories and of the possibility of Israeli applying its sovereignty unilaterally to part of those territories, further jeopardizing the peace process."

The new statement reiterated the Holy See's long-held position that "respect for international law and the relevant United Nations resolutions is an indispensable element for the two peoples to live side by side in two states, within the borders internationally recognized before 1967."

It said, "The Holy See is following the situation closely and expresses concern about any future actions that could further compromise dialogue."

The new statement reiterated the Holy See's long-held position that "respect for international law and the relevant United Nations resolutions is an indispensable element for the two peoples to live side by side in two states."

At the same time, the statement expressed hope "that Israelis and Palestinians will be soon able to find once again the possibility for directly negotiating an agreement, with the help of the international community, so that peace may finally reign in the Holy Land, so beloved by Jews and Christians and Muslims."

[...]

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Only catholics care what the Vatican thinks.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

"only catholics care..."
Oh Hashi, The old irreconcilable contradiction trick.
Fair to say that it has more than a whiff of Palestine and Isreal about it too.
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Israel's Netanyahu vows to push ahead with West Bank annexation
FILE PHOTO: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attends the first working cabinet meeting of the new government at the Chagall Hall in the Knesset, the Israeli Parliament in Jerusalem May 24, 2020. (Photo by Abir Sultan/Pool via Reuters)

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday pledged to annex parts of the occupied West Bank in the coming months, vowing to move ahead with the explosive plan despite a growing chorus of condemnations by key allies.

The Palestinians, with wide international backing, seek the entire West Bank as the heartland of a future independent state. Annexing large chunks of this territory would all but destroy the faint remaining hopes of a two-state solution.

In an apparent reference to the friendly administration of President Donald Trump, Netanyahu said Israel had a "historic opportunity" to redraw the Mideast map that could not be missed. Israeli media quoted him as saying he would act in July.

"This is an opportunity that we will not let pass," he told members of his conservative Likud party. He added that the "historic opportunity" to annex the West Bank had never before occurred since Israel's founding in 1948.

The comments threatened to push Israel closer to a confrontation with Arab and European partners, and could deepen what is becoming a growing partisan divide over Israel in Washington.

[...]

With Trump's re-election prospects uncertain this November, Israeli hard-liners have urged Netanyahu to move ahead with annexation quickly. The Israeli leader's new coalition deal includes an official clause allowing him to present his annexation plan to the government in July.

Netanyahu told party members in a closed-door meeting that "we have a target date for July and we don't intend to change it," Likud officials said.

The plan has already exposed a partisan divide in Washington. Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee in the U.S. presidential elections, recently said that annexation would "choke off" hopes for a two-state solution. 18 Democratic senators warned in a letter this week that annexation could harm U.S.-Israeli ties.

The EU's foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, has said annexation would violate international law and vowed to use "all our diplomatic capacities" to stop it.

Closer to home, the Palestinians last week cut off security ties -- a valuable tool in a shared struggled against Islamic militants -- with Israel to protest the annexation plan.

Saudi Arabia, an influential Arab country that maintains behind-the-scenes relations with Israel, announced its "rejection of the Israeli measures and plans to annex Palestinian lands."

The Arab League has condemned it as a "war crime," and both Jordan and Egypt -- the only two Arab countries at peace with Israel -- have harshly criticized it.

[...]

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Of course he does 🤦‍♀️ Netenyahu and his questionable political agenda is rather detestable
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Skyweir wrote:Of course he does 🤦‍♀️ Netenyahu and his questionable political agenda is rather detestable
So as the leader of the nation he does not have the authority to pursue an agenda with which you disagree? What is questionable about it, the fact that he did not beg the UN for permission?
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Skyweir wrote:Of course he does 🤦‍♀️ Netenyahu and his questionable political agenda is rather detestable
So as the leader of the nation he does not have the authority [emphasis added] ...
Funny. For a second there, I thought you were gonna say "Right".

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

I have to imagine you are being facetious Hashi .. Netanyahus entire Zionist agenda, ambitions of genocidal proportion, plus his history of corruption and fraudulent activities, and the man is facing significant legal issues and possibly in a just world jail time ... his right wing racist ideologies are indeed reprehensible to me.

Also theres this ...
In only four days, he has shut down Israeli courts, ordered the internal security services to secretly track citizens using their cellphone data and incapacitated the nations parliament.

One beneficiary of the shutdown of the judiciary, which was announced at 1:30 a.m. Sunday, was Netanyahu himself, whose trial for bribery, fraud and breach of trust was scheduled to open on Tuesday, and as a result of the measure was postponed until late May.
Just because someone is a leader, President or PM does not infer they have a right or even the inalienable authority to do whatever they personally wish.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Skyweir wrote:Just because someone is a leader, President or PM does not infer they have a right or even the inalienable authority to do whatever they personally wish.
I do not disagree--tell that to all these Democrat governors who are trying to keep their States locked down in violation of people's Constitutionally-protected freedoms.

A majority of Israeli citizens voted to keep Netanyahu in power because they approve of him and/or his policies. I would advise him taking a less aggressive position but, ultimately, Israel gets to chart its own course and is free to ignore our opinions about its choices.
[/quote]
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Right 🙄 those vital alleged rights

ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

A majority of Israeli citizens voted to keep Netanyahu in power because they approve of him and/or his policies.
Uh, no they didn't. :D A minority voted for him. This is, IIRC, the 3rd or 4th attempt to form a coalition government with each of the two contenders already having failed at doing so at least one.

--A
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Two things...
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:A majority of Israeli citizens voted to keep Netanyahu in power because they approve of him and/or his policies.
1. What Av said. Netanyahu doesn't have a majority of the electoral vote.
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I would advise him taking a less aggressive position but, ultimately, Israel gets to chart its own course and is free to ignore our opinions about its choices.
2. Given the US's multiply demonstrated predilection for hegemonistic interventionism over the last half century or so, you should have been a whole heap more accurate if you'd said instead: "...and is free - at its peril - to ignore our opinions about its choices."

We can all easily come up with tens of examples over the last few decades where nations may have been "free to chart their own courses"... but were then subject to the most direct of interventions from the US (whether economic or military), if said "freely chosen" courses didn't mesh with US international objectives and ambitions.

Of course, Israel primarily for purely domestic political reasons within the US is the proud and seemingly eternal possessor of a US-awarded "Get Out Of Jail Free" card, so the same unspoken but well-known rules and consequences simply don't apply... and thus aren't applied.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

You are both correct--I sometimes forget how fractured Israeli politics is and that there is no true majority there.

I also sometimes project how I would run the United States as opposed to stating how the United States has actually been run. If I were in charge you can be certain that I would not involve myself in the internal affairs of other nations, because I am better than our current politicians. Yes, I would still have some intelligence operatives in your country--I said I would not interfere, not that I would fail to keep an eye on what you are doing.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Annexation poses a grave threat to Jerusalem, defense officials say [In-Depth]
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US Ambassador David Friedman touring the West Bank settlement of Ariel on February 24, 2020 (photo credit: COURTESY OF ARIEL SPOKESPERSON'S OFFICE)

They warn there is not enough time to get ready for possible repercussions.

From senior defense and security officials to diplomats and allies, everyone is issuing the same warning: annexation poses a grave threat to Jerusalem.

July 1 is the date given by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, when he intends to apply Israeli law to West Bank settlements and the Jordan Valley. That's only one month away.

But with all the controversy surrounding annexation, what exactly will happen in July is anyone's guess.

It could be that Netanyahu announces a unilateral annexation of large swaths of territory, or smaller areas in Area C or just Israeli settlements. He could also just make a declaration without doing anything on the ground.

"Nobody knows what's going to happen," Maj. Gen. (res.) Amos Gilad, former director of Policy and Political-Military Affairs at the Ministry of Defense told The Jerusalem Post.

But, "unlike previous cases, like moving the American Embassy where no one cared, the Palestinians and Jordanians cannot tolerate" any unilateral moves like annexation, Gilead said.

The uncertainty surrounding the situation has only fed and antagonized the Palestinian street, which Israel's defense establishment is concerned could get out of control.

[...]

Both the PA and IDF see the security cooperation, which includes counterterrorism operations, deconfliction and free movement for Palestinian security forces as key to maintaining stability in the West Bank for over a decade.

With that cooperation at risk and with such a short period given to the defense establishment to prepare for violence, officials have warned it's not enough time to get ready.

Even Israel's top military officer, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi, has issued an alert to commanders regarding a possible escalation of violence in the West Bank.

Kochavi is reportedly preparing to implement a battle plan which will see the army deploy thousands of troops as reinforcements to the area should violence erupt.

Dozens of scenarios have been discussed with senior officers. The military will likely go into overdrive in the coming weeks to ready itself.

[...]

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Gantz orders IDF to prepare for annexation at once [In-Depth]
Blue and White leader and Alternate Prime Minister Benny Gantz speaks at a Blue and White faction meeting, May 27, 2020 (photo credit: ELAD MALKA)

Jordanian officials reportedly lament Blue and White leaders talking about them, but not to them; annexation talk is a rejection of ties with Arab world, UAE FM says.

Defense Minister Benny Gantz on Monday instructed Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi to accelerate preparations for the possibility that Israel will apply its laws to parts of the West Bank after he and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with Trump administration officials.

Gantz updated Kochavi on diplomatic developments after the calls and told him to speed up preparations for "diplomatic steps on the agenda in the Palestinian arena."

He met with US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman on Monday morning to discuss diplomatic matters on the agenda. Soon after, Netanyahu spoke on the phone with Friedman, Senior Adviser to the President Jared Kushner and Special Representative for International Relations Avi Berkowitz.

"The call was cordial and productive," a senior White House official said. "We do not comment on the substance of private diplomatic conversations."

US President Donald Trump's peace plan would allow for Israel to apply its laws to 30% of the West Bank. The coalition agreement between Gantz's Blue and White and Netanyahu's Likud says the prime minister can bring annexation to a vote in the cabinet or Knesset on July 1 at the earliest.

Speaking to the Blue and White faction in the Knesset on Monday, Gantz said he instructed Kochavi to prepare "for any possibility of these processes influencing the region" and present him with various scenarios and plans of action.

The IDF and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) plan to hold war games simulating possible responses to annexation, ranging from an increase in terrorism to a broad wave of violence, Channel 13 reported.

Gantz also plans to appoint a project manager to coordinate matters related to the Trump peace plan's implementation, as well as a committee to coordinate the operative recommendations for the West Bank and Gaza. The police plan to hold meetings on the matter as well.

"President Trump's peace plan is an opportunity to set and promote permanent borders for the State of Israel," Gantz said in the faction meeting.

Gantz said he and Netanyahu have been in touch with the US government to promote the peace plan's implementation.

[...]

The Arab world views Israeli statements about pending annexation of portions of the West Bank as a rejection of its desire for peace with Israel, United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Anwar Gargash said.

"Continued Israeli talk of annexing Palestinian lands must stop," he tweeted on Monday. "Any unilateral Israeli move will be a serious setback for the peace process, undermine Palestinian self-determination [and] constitute a rejection of the international [and] Arab consensus towards stability [and] peace."

David Makovsky, of the US-based Washington Institute of Near East Policy, explained on Twitter the significance of Gargash's statement.

"This comes from a leading Emirati official -- Minister of State -- who has been very supportive of close ties between Gulf states and Israel," wrote Makovsky, who is an author on the Middle East peace process and former editor-in-chief of The Jerusalem Post.

[...]

Post by Avatar »

Y'know, like the riots in the US, people eventually reach a point where they just don't care anymore and have nothing left to lose. And once that happens, significant unrest is inevitable...

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I disagree with that author's contention that moving the American Embassy was a decision about which no one cared. A lot of people gave Trump a lot of shit for moving the Embassy--they cared a lot.

I can tell you what is going to happen--Israel will annex the land it wants to annex, it will tell the rest of the world to fuck off, and if the Arab nations want to fight about it then they should probably prepare for a loss like they suffered in 1967.

The only reason Israel has not retaken the Temple Mount is because globally Muslims outnumber them.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Trump's Mideast peace plan comes under surprise attack from Israeli settlers
White House senior adviser Jared Kushner smiles while listening to President Donald Trump talk at a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, in March 2019. Carlos Barria / Reuters file

Trump and his son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner "have proven in their plan that they are not friends of the State of Israel," David Elhayani, a settler leader, said.

President Donald Trump's Mideast peace plan has suffered an unexpected attack from Israeli settlers in the West Bank, many of whom live in areas that Israel hopes to annex as part of the deal devised by Washington.

Trump and his senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner "have proven in their plan that they are not friends of the State of Israel," David Elhayani, chairman of the Yesha Council, an organization that represents Jewish settlements in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, told the Israeli newspaper Haaretz on Wednesday.

The pair "do not have Israel's security and settlement interests in mind. All they care about in this outline is promoting their own interests ahead of the upcoming election," he added, appearing to refer to the U.S. presidential election.

The criticism of the White House's initiative comes after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged to begin Cabinet discussions on extending Israeli sovereignty to parts of the occupied West Bank in July as part of the Trump administration's peace plan.

[...]

In a statement released last week, the Yesha Council said that it opposed the recognition or agreement of any kind to the establishment of a Palestinian state.

It added that it would reject any building restrictions or settlement freezes in its communities, as well as any annexation map that would isolate settlements or turn them into remote enclaves that cannot develop and grow.

[...]

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Netanyahu said Wednesday that he condemned the comments made by Elhayani about Trump.

"President Trump is a great friend of the state of Israel," he told Yediot Ahronot newspaper.

However, the Yesha Council leaders are not the only ones to express their concerns.

Others have said they fear that the creation of a Palestinian state around their communities would curb their ability to settle the territory, which they see as their biblical right.

"To us, this is no less than a grave blow to the Zionist vision of the return of the people of Israel to their Biblical Heartland," leaders of the Sovereignty Movement, an activist group that calls for Israel to apply sovereignty to the entirety of the West Bank, said in a statement.

The group said it had placed posters around the West Bank and Jerusalem warning of the negative impact of the Netanyahu-backed Trump plan.

"Jerusalem will be divided," read signs across the city, according to the group, while in the West Bank signs warned "Palestine just beyond the fence!" and "Here Palestine will be established!"

Meanwhile, a settler youth organization, It's All Ours, has also vowed to fight the division of land by building and hanging on to territory.
Last edited by Wosbald on Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Palestinians, Israelis protest against Israel's decision to annex parts of the West Bank

© picture-alliance/AA/M. Alkharouf

Protesters took to the street against Israeli government plans to annex parts of the West Bank. It's land Palestinians want as part of an independent state.

Thousands of Palestinians and Israelis protested in Israel on Saturday against Israel's plan to extend sovereignty over parts of the West Bank. The protesters carried banners "No to annexation, no to occupation, yes to peace and democracy" and Palestinian flags.

The protesters gathered after the police issued a permit on Friday night, on the condition that they maintain a two-meter (6.5-foot) distance between each other. The protests were reportedly organized by left-wing groups.

The leader of Meretz, a left-leaning Israeli party called the annexation decision by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government a "war crime" and a "crime against democracy".

US Senator Bernie Sanders also addressed protesters in a video and expressed his support for the demonstration. "It's up to all of us to stand up to authoritarian leaders and to build a peaceful future for every Palestinian and every Israeli," said Sanders.

[...]

Return to “Coercri”