The Land and Kevin's Wards in Dungeons & Dragons...

A place to discuss the entirety of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Moderators: kevinswatch, aliantha

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Foul is the master of the long game.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Skyweir wrote:Foul is the master of the long game.
Axis and Allies?
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I like what I have seen of the 5th edition. It does a decent job or recapturing the flavor of the early AD&D and even paper boxed set material, with creativity encouraged, and "rules" being a bit less binding on individual campaigns.

Quite the change from 4E, which (if given a chance) was a decent and playable game - but it wasn't "really" D&D in the traditional sense.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

I've been thinking that the One Ring roleplaying game would be perfect for a game set in the Land.

It's got a great system for Journeys, which would map nicely to the Land; and it's got a mechanic for Hope and Shadow points that would translate perfectly as well.

AND, they've also released a d20 edition, so you don't even need to learn a new system if you don't want to.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

starkllr wrote:I've been thinking that the One Ring roleplaying game would be perfect for a game set in the Land.
Yea.. but as the player your translated to the Land other than Kevin's Watch and you have Hanson's disease. Go find some hurtloam which you don't know about.. :P

Pity the player who lands in Garroting Deep.
(What's this forest? Who the funny looking guy in white robes.)
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

Well youd have to battle or journey your way out ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

<-----
Fist and Faith wrote:No, Kevin did not give wards to either the Bloodguard or Elohim. And the 7th was Amok.
In which case Vian has to be the 3rd. Kevin must have given the third ward to the Viles.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Except for the First Ward, NONE of the Wards were given to ANYONE.

They were HIDDEN. They needed to be FOUND. And they could only be found if you understood the previous Ward. The First Ward is the exception because it was the bootstrap for the whole process.

Even Amok could not be found until you understood the Sixth Ward. Only wild magic changed that.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

I thought it was logical.
Kevin expelled the races of the Land before enacting the Ritual of Desicration. If the Giants were given the First Ward then its logical that the other races were also given Wards.

Perhaps you misunderstand the nature of the First Ward.
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

Lazy Luke wrote:I thought it was logical.
Kevin expelled the races of the Land before enacting the Ritual of Desicration. If the Giants were given the First Ward then its logical that the other races were also given Wards.

Perhaps you misunderstand the nature of the First Ward.
Huh?

The second ward was in a projected (likely forgotten) chamber in Gravin Threndor. Another ward was shown in the Last Chronicles to be sunk in a swamp, while one was also listed as being in a cave (IIRC) in the Northron Mountains. We already knew where the 1st ward came from - but it was never said where the third ward was found.

I think it pretty obvious they were not "given" to other races in that world.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Spot on bb
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

bikebryan wrote: It was never said where the third ward was found.

The Third Ward was placed in Revelstone (The Wounded Land) by whomever made Ridjeck Thome.
I'm betting the Viles were the makers of that place.
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

Lazy Luke wrote:
bikebryan wrote: It was never said where the third ward was found.

The Third Ward was placed in Revelstone (The Wounded Land) by whomever made Ridjeck Thome.
Again, huh?

In TWL we were told that the third ward was found. It was NOT said it was found in Revelstone. In fact, where Covenant saw it was not created until a Raver became the na-Mhoram of the Clave. They moved the artifacts to that location AFTER the location was created.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Lazy Luke wrote:The Third Ward was placed in Revelstone (The Wounded Land) by whomever made Ridjeck Thome.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

bikebryan wrote:Jeremiah tells Stave he can give him the location of the remaining Wards. What you quoted is the only thing that makes sense in regards to their locations.
Except that Jeremiah's conversation with Stave occurred after he, Linden and Covenant had reassembled the world, so it is quite plausible to suppose that Jeremiah acquired his knowledge of the Wards' locations in the course of performing this feat.
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

DrPaul wrote:
bikebryan wrote:Jeremiah tells Stave he can give him the location of the remaining Wards. What you quoted is the only thing that makes sense in regards to their locations.
Except that Jeremiah's conversation with Stave occurred after he, Linden and Covenant had reassembled the world, so it is quite plausible to suppose that Jeremiah acquired his knowledge of the Wards' locations in the course of performing this feat.
Maybe...but I cannot believe that SRD would give us all that interchange with the Raver and NOT have is know it was the remaining wards.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

If the First Ward is indeed how to call the Fire Lions then the Wards are real and hidden deep within the stories of the Chronicles.
Our lack of insight or belief inhibits our knowing what the remaining Wards are - and of what they do.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

Given the nature of the last Chronicles - in that SRD used it as a medium to explain all the questions that we the readers (which he was aware of due in large part to this forum) had since the beginning of the series, and thus to tie up all those loose ends - I would be surprised if that interaction with Stave was not the true locations of the remaining wards.

Much like SRD almost shoe-horns in the meanings of the seven words (which we had many long and in depth discussions about back in the early years of the 2000's), I find it hard to believe that he didn't also answer the "wards question" here.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

(I've yet to read The Last Dark.)
Forestal wrote:I find it hard to believe that he didn't also answer the "wards question" here.

I've tried asking about that. There was never any reply.
I have to assume this is a point of view entirely in my own keeping. Even when it is there on the page in black and white for all to see.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Forestal! Been a while.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The Entire Chronicles”