Who Rules the World

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Who Rules the World

Post by peter »

Am a third of the way into Noam Chomsky's book of the above title and am somewhat disappointed at this stage. So far it has been little more than a polemic against America and every action she has ever performed, domestic or on the larger stage. Sure, he highlights some pretty horrendous activities carried out by various Presidents and government agencies over the years - but one senses such spite, such anger that one cannot help wonder what it is that could make a man so (apparently) hate his own country. Interestingly, the book - published in 2016 - is written before the era of the 'rise of Trump' ( though he was standing as a candidate at the time) and in fact much of what Chomsky bemoans is the same stuff that Trump based his campaign on, the loss of jobs in the South, the degradation of industry etc, and so in theory he should be very happy with the election result and the Trump Presidency to date - but somehow I have my doubts that this would be the case.
I was slightly annoyed by Chomsky's saying that the BNP and EDL (both far right organisations in the UK) "have great influence" in my country: bullshit - they are tiny minority organisations who most people never give any hedence to. I would like the book to begin to look at the state of play in respect of the world as it stands today, and leave off the raking over the past - but I'm beginning to think it ain't going to happen. Pity - it could have been a useful guide to current powerplays instead of a vituperative polemic against a country whose contribution to the world has been, if occasionally flawed, in the main immense.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Ok sound criticisms Pete...

I haven't read this book but I have read other Chomsky works... and what I like about Chomsky is his application of linguistics. Words matter. He identifies, how political leaders use language and how that applies to social order.

Not sure I am using language particularly well :lol: to explain my appreciation of Chomsky. I think he probably is a little jilted. One of his books I read was about the role of US in the middle east. I found it very intriguing.

Not at home so cant remember its title .. but that was a particularly good one. After years and years of unpacking messaging - he is quite likely more affected.

But you've interested me - I will see if I can get the book and give it a gander.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Who Rules the World

Post by Vraith »

peter wrote: much of what Chomsky bemoans is the same stuff that Trump based his campaign on
The differences being that, first, Trump doesn't really give a damn about those people and, second, that many of the causes and ALL of the solutions are different between the two.

Sky---when he's dealing with language and meaning, he usually is making points/addressing ideas that, even if wrong, NEED to be considered/examined/explored.
He's at his most annoying---and becomes easily dismissible, especially by those with opposing ideologies---when he reaches too far beyond that.
Which he does often.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'll feel like an asshole if I continue reading (which I will) and he changes to the current state as I suggest above ( in fact I already do a bit because I like Chomsky - he made a great contribution to the film Four Horsemen which I agree with wholeheartedly - but I just find the tone of this book so unforgiving despite his saying the things that have to be said.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Literature Discussion”