maps of locations outside of the Land

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Doug0915
Servant of the Land

maps of locations outside of the Land

Post by Doug0915 »

I've been poking around the net looking for maps to trace the progress of our heroes/villains in the chronicles, but other than a generic map of the Land, there does not seem to be anything outside of that, even though in for instance "The One Tree" the quest takes them to the island where the Elohim live and the port city of the Bhrathair.

Is there an other maps than the one for "The Land"?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Yes, there are maps of both Bhrathairealm and Elmensedene in the front matter of The One Tree.

No copy handy? See them here:
mapsoffantasy.tumblr.com/post/54026548717
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Doug0915
Servant of the Land

Post by Doug0915 »

Savor Dam wrote:Yes, there are maps of both Bhrathairealm and Elmensedene in the front matter of The One Tree.

No copy handy? See them here:
mapsoffantasy.tumblr.com/post/54026548717
Very Handy, thanks! Is there any map (or anything else) that indicates where/how far these two places are from the Land proper?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

To the best of my knowledge, there are no maps or sea charts showing how these locations (nor others such as Home or Isle of the One Tree) relate to each other or to the Land.

Other Chrons scholars may know more and chime in.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's on first thinking an appealing idea that there should be a map of 'The World', but on thinking it out a bit I have my doubts. One of the main themes of the first two series was that those greatest of travellers, the Giants, were Unhomed by virtue of their lack of such, there oral tradition not withstanding. Part of the very fabric of the stories is the mystery of the world beyond the shores of the Land- vague mentions of the origins of the Insequents and of the homeland of Kasreyn of the Gyre are made - but in the main, of the distant realms and their geographical relationship to each other we are in the dark for good narrative reasons. To speculate just a little further however, I'd have a guess that the globe of The Land is much bigger than our own, with distances between major land masses much greater.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It's been on my bucket list for some time now to mine the text of the One Tree and develop an approximation of the relative locations of things. There should be enough directional data ("sailed southwest") and distance data ("for three days") to do a rough placement. Plus there are some good descriptions of the coast of Brathairealm.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Doug0915, This isn't technically a "map", but I wanted to give you a link to Blackhawk's beautiful painting of the Isle of the One Tree, just in case you haven't seen it:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1926
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Interesting that Blackhawk refers to the isle "before it crumbled into the sea". Was this strictly the case? Did not the Isle rather submerge itself, ready to reappear at need (though iirc it never actually did so) wheresoever in the Land it choses to?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

peter wrote:Interesting that Blackhawk refers to the isle "before it crumbled into the sea". Was this strictly the case? Did not the Isle rather submerge itself, ready to reappear at need (though iirc it never actually did so) wheresoever in the Land it choses to?
In Chapter 27 of [i]The One Tree[/i] was wrote:In silence, the questers trudged up out of the tomb of their dreams.

Tremors threatened them repeatedly during that hard ascent. The ledge pitched as if it sought to shrug them back into the gulf. Vibrations made the stone quiver like wounded flesh. At intervals, hunks of rock fell, striking out sharp resonations which scaled upward like cries of bereavement. But Linden was not afraid of that. She was hardly aware of the exertion of the climb. She felt that she could count the last drops of blood as they seeped around the knife in Covenant's chest.

When she gained the crest, looked out over the Isle and the wide sea, she was wanly surprised to see that the sun had fallen no lower than midafternoon. Surely the ruin of the quest had consumed more time than that? But it had not. Such damage was as sudden as an infarction. As abrupt as the collapse of the old man on the roadway into Haven Farm
Slowly, irresistibly, the violence in the rock continued to build. As she started downward, she saw that the slopes were marked with new scars where boulders and outcroppings had fallen away. The old sea had swallowed all the rubble without a trace.

The last throes of the Isle were rising. Though she was hardly able to walk without stumbling, she urged the company faster. It was her responsibility. Covenant was so Desecration-ridden, so despair-blind, that he would have plunged headlong if Cail had not supported him. She needed help herself; but Brinn was gone, the First and Pitchwife were occupied with Honninscrave, and Call's duty was elsewhere. So she carried her own weight and croaked at her companions for haste. As awkwardly as cripples, they raced the Worm's unrest downward.

Vain followed them as if nothing had changed. But his right hand dangled from the dead wood of his transformed forearm. The band of the Staff of Law on his wrist clasped the boundary between flesh and bark.

At last, they reached the longboat. Somehow, it had not been struck by any of the falling boulders. The companions lurched and thudded aboard as if they were in rout.

As the First shoved the craft out into the water, the entire eyot jumped. A large section of the crest crumbled inward. The sea heaved into deep waves, setting the longboat a-dance. But it rode out the spasms unscathed. Then the First and Pitchwife took the oars and rowed through the sunlight toward Starfare's Gem.

The next tremor toppled more of the Isle's crown. Wide pieces of the engirdling reef sank. After that, the convulsions became almost constant, raising immense exhalations of dust like spume from the island's throat. Impelled by heavy seas, the longboat moved swiftly to the side of the Giantship. In a short time, the company gained the decks. Everyone gathered along the port rail to watch the cairn of the One Tree go down.

It sank in a last tremendous upheaval. Chunks of the Isle jumped like flames as its foundations shattered. Then all the rock settled around the Worm's new resting-place; and the sea rushed into the gap. The waters rose like a great geyser, spread outward in deep undulations which made the dromond roll from side to side. But that was the end. Even the reef was gone. Nothing remained to mark the area except bubbles which broke the surface and then faded, leaving azure silence in their wake.

Slowly, the spectators turned back to their ship. When Linden looked past Vain toward Covenant, she saw Findail standing with him. She wanted to be angry at the Elohim, would have welcomed any emotion which might have sustained her. But the time for such things had passed. No expostulation would bring back Covenant's hope. The lines engraving the Appointed's face were as deep as ever; but now they seemed like scars of pity.

"I cannot ease your sorrow," he said, speaking so softly that Linden barely heard him. "That attempt was made, and it failed. But one fear I will spare you. The One Tree is not destroyed. It is a mystery of the Earth. While the Earth endures, it too will endure in its way. Perhaps your guilts are indeed as many as you deem them--but that is one you need not bear."
The Isle of the One Tree did submerge itself, but there is no mention of it being able to reappear anywhere in the Land's world.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In the Gradual Interview, Stephen R Donaldson wrote:Perhaps I never made it clear that over long spans of time the One Tree, well, moves around. Such archetypal creations don't cease to exist: the sinking of the Isle didn't unmake the One Tree, but simply took it out of reach. I've always assumed that when Berek found the One Tree it was somewhere else entirely, and that the challenges of approaching it and obtaining wood from it were (apart from the Guardian, another archetypal creation) entirely different than those faced by Covenant et al.

(09/10/2004)
This may be where the notion that the Isle would reappear elsewhere arises.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes - I'm probably conflating this with other stories of sinking and reappearing islands that I've come across in the past; I had the idea that the giants had spoken of it in these terms before - but that's probably just a 'made-up' memory. My [addled] brain has the capacity to do that :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I don't currently have access to it and it has been a long time since I last looked at it, but Karen Fonstad's Atlas of the Land contains maps of locations in the First and Second Chronicles, although I honestly cannot remember if it has any 'worldwide' maps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

No I don't believe it does- but it's very detailed in respect of chronicling the times taken on specific journeys and estimating distances IIRC. A good starting point for anyone who wanted to attempt the task of drawing a World Map I should think. :)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

amanibhavam wrote:I don't currently have access to it and it has been a long time since I last looked at it, but Karen Fonstad's Atlas of the Land contains maps of locations in the First and Second Chronicles, although I honestly cannot remember if it has any 'worldwide' maps.
I own a copy and could probably post a picture from a specific part of the atlas if you want something specific.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”